natural anti-inflammatories and dealing with chronic pain

Options
I have been slowly losing weight over the last few months, with help from MFP, and by eating foods that are condusive with weight loss like colourful vegetables, advocado, olive oil and nut butters for fat. Less bread and potatoes, more spices like tumeric, cayenne and cinnamon. I have been sometimes substituting lentils or dairy for red meat and adding ground flax and nuts to dishes where this works. I have also been adding coconut milk to shakes and soups.
Coincidentally, I just looked up natural remedies for inflamation on good and they are similar to the way I have been eating. I have severe pain in my shoulder, so that my ability to use my right hand is limited. I have to wait two months to see an orthopedic surgeon and if I need surgery, another eight months after that. I have prescription painkillers and take anti-inflamatories regularly. I figure it may be a good idea for me to come up with some things I can do to help this situation, like focusing on what I eat.
Does anyone have some good suggestions regarding healing and dieting?

Replies

• olsen317
    Options
    Dr. Andrew Weil is well known for promoting the health benefits of an anti inflammatory diet. He has several books and a website with lots of information.

www.drweil.com
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Ironically, potatoes are highly anti-inflammatory.

Not sure of they, or any other food, will help your shoulder though.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I will look that up, Thankyou. Plus I'll make roasted potatoes a few times a week, I love potatoes! I just figure that if I do so etching and believe it will work, maybe I won't notice the pain so much.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    You can read a bit more about Dr. Weil's non-evidence based medicine here:

http://www.skepdic.com/integratmed.html
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I just talked to my herbalist last night because I am having some pain in my hips. She is going to start me on some kind of yucca/alfalfa blend for inflammation. We shall see.
  • Lisenotes
    Lisenotes Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Have you tried to eliminate gluten and or dairy to see if this helps. You may want to look into a consult with a Chiropractor for your shoulder injury. Just food for thought. It sounds like your MFP is doing an awesome job of informing you and supporting your journey
  • topshopperwantabe
    topshopperwantabe Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I've been adding these herbs and spices to help with inflammation. I got them from the internet so take that with a grain of salt.

Ginger
    Turmeric
    Black Pepper
    Cinnamon
    Rosemary
    Basil
    Cardamon
    Chives
    Cilantro
    Cloves
    Garlic
    Parsley
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I used to sell a blockbuster NSAID, and talked about pain and inflammation to doctors every day for 2 years. I'm not an expert by any means, but I did learn a lot.

Western docs generally don't know or care to learn about how to use food to address physical issues. That's because it takes a lot of time and significant consumption to measure any effect, and most people in pain want relief fast. So they will start you on ibuprofen, and bump you up to something like Celebrex if you need more relief and aren't contraindicated.

The only thing from the lists above that I ever heard a doc talk about is turmeric. And, even my vet recommended it to me for my arthritic dog. You can get turmeric supplements. I have no idea what an effective dose would be. Nothing helped my poor pup.

Someone above suggested eliminating gluten and dairy. The reason for that is because many people are gluten intolerant (though they may not realize it) or react to casein in dairy, and reactions to these can cause inflammation. Inflammation in one part of the body can exacerbate inflammation elsewhere in the body. So if there's any funky stuff happening in your gut, letting that heal might also reduce inflammation in your shoulder. Obviously it won't heal your injury, but it can potentially reduce swelling and and pain a bit. Good luck.
  • mmddwechanged
    Options
    Fish and tumeric. These foods are quite simple to use if you have them on hand. I have been buying hot mustard, adding extra time rice and mixing it with a bit of plain yogurt for a salad "dip". I read somewhere to eliminate red meat also. Exploring this really does feel empowering, as if I am actually doing something while I wait.
  • mmddwechanged
    Options
    (I also have been enjoying red wine more than usual)
  • Tann19
    Tann19 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I take fish oil supplements and eat a lot of wild caught salmon, which are both good for omega-3, they have helped greatly with day to day inflammation.