When did you feel confident enough to jog? (morbidly Obese)

Options
I started walking about a about a month or so ago. I started off at about 2mph, now I am up to 3.5mph. It's important to note that I'm well over 300lbs at 5 foot 10 inches. The other day I was walking as quickly as I could without running and I felt compelled to start jogging but didn't for a few reasons. 1. Just being plain ore' self conscious. 2. My knees, both have been bothering me, though the hurt less since I started losing pounds.

So when did you start jogging? I'm assuming I should probably be seen by my primary care first. It was the most amazing feeling though... I really felt like I could just take off Forrest Gump style. :D I'm hoping to one day.

Replies

• Lisa760
    Lisa760 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I don't have an answer. I just wanted to say congratulations on increasing your speed in such a short amount of time! I know what you mean about knee problems - best to check with your doctor first. Try not to feel self conscious - honestly, people are too busy inside their own heads to formulate a deep thought about anything/anyone else. WTG!
  • Violetta86
    Violetta86 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Be confident in yourself, you're doing really well and making improvements already. I don't think your weight matters as long as you can do it safely and don't feel pain during the jog or post. I weened myself into running by doing intervals of walking for 2 min then running for 2 min and slowly increasing the running time when I felt like I could. Now I am can run a 5K in 33ish min without stopping! I like to play the 'challenge/compete with myself game'. Good luck! You've got this.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. Anyone who cares about fitness will cheer you on. I started at a lower weight, 230, but I am 5'6", and I never got anything other than smiles and waves. Especially early in the morning on the weekend, the only people out are exercising themselves and they are happy to encourage you.
  • ChasingStarlight
    ChasingStarlight Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I am a runner and I am now very skinny. Mid last year, I was neither. Whenever I see someone overweight walking, I think "just run!" and when I see someone overweight running, albeit very slowly, I think "good on you! Get out there and do it!". Anyway, doesn't answer your questions about the physical side of things (maybe think about c25K?) but I just wanted to say good on you! The running community is generally very supportive, so try not to feel self conscious.
  • lorettaasmith
    lorettaasmith Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I started this time around at 225....and truth be told, for a long time I only jogged at night so either people wouldn't see me or I wouldn't see their reaction. But I'm learning, there will always be naysayers in life, and you can't let them get between you and your goals. I say, check with your doctor, then go for it. You'll have lots of folks on here cheering you on!
  • Suz_w8loss
    Suz_w8loss Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    You can do it just take it slow and easy. If you feel pain then stop & rest. Do NOT run through the pain. I'm 5'6 and started the couch to 5K program in February weighing 256 lbs. I was very slow in the beginning but was able to complete the program & I have run every distance race including a half marathon. Go for it !!
  • Razzer21
    Options
    Firstly, well done on your progress so far. I personally think that if you feel up for running, give it a go and dont worry about what other people think. You are doing it for yourself and that is all that matters. When I started running, I found it really hard to stick with it, but now I wouldnt do any other sport!