Hoping to LOSE weight over the holidays

Options
Hi, all. I'm somewhat new to MFP and I'm enjoying it so far. I know what it takes to lose the weight, but I'm nervous about surviving the holidays. Perhaps a more sane goal would be to avoid gaining until after the new year, but I'm going to challenge myself to lose over the holidays. I'm sure a lot of people here are in the same boat. Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and open up the opportunity for communication with the great members of MFP!

Best wishes :)

Replies

• Allyice
    Allyice Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'd love to do the same but I know how our Christmas lunches usually are, lol.... I'll try and go for the healthier options because I'm going to try and maintain until next year :)
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I will be losing through the holidays, just like I did on vacation...small but a loss. I will still lose maybe not as much but so much better then Jan 1rolling around and having to start or regretting I did not take positive steps before.
  • awake4777
    awake4777 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Eat before that luncheon, dinner, or party. Eat just enough so you are not starving or chomping at the bit by the time you can eat.

Stick to the plan.

Skip the party.

Order your main meal from the "lite meal" or appetizer menu.

Skip the drinks to eat more food. Do NOT skip the food to drink more. You'll be drunk and stupid.
  • rachiegrl6
    rachiegrl6 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Also hoping to lose over the holidays. I have a week long Thanksgiving vacation coming up next week and I am going to stick to my guns. I know this can happen!

I'd love to friend you for encouragement. Good luck!
  • camajade
    camajade Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I intend to work hard all week, cause the family dinners are just 2 nights. I intend to workout more during that week to compensate for the stuffing, or gravy or even desert. I don't intend to drink before our new years eve party, and if it's not at my house, I just may be the designated driver, I don't want the extra calories right now. I've still have so much to lose. So I am in for losing weight over the holidays.
  • peggyb8642
    Options
    I'm going to Puerto Vallarta in January so I'm definitely hoping to lose a few over the holidays. The thought of my chubby white thighs in a bathing suit is enough to turn down the eggnog. Best of luck to you!!
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I for sure plan on losing over the holidays. My plan is to have just enough yummy holiday food, as in, a plate of everything i like at dinner, and dessert (piece of pie). No second, third, helpings and gorging on christmas cookies lol. I think that's the best way to go because it's not going to really leave a dent in progress.
  • FitTchr
    Options
    Eat before that luncheon, dinner, or party. Eat just enough so you are not starving or chomping at the bit by the time you can eat.

Stick to the plan.

Skip the party.

Order your main meal from the "lite meal" or appetizer menu.

Skip the drinks to eat more food. Do NOT skip the food to drink more. You'll be drunk and stupid.

Fabulous Advice!
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    have your holiday meal... dont go overboard with giant servings of anything have one dessert and then the next day get your *kitten* back in the gym or where ever you work out and you will be fine.

a holiday meal or a dinner out with the family is not the end of the world you just have to learn to be sensible and take everything in moderation and use portion control...

you can't go wrong with turkey breast and whatever green vegetable you family will have at their dinner... you have your protein and your fiberous carbs...
  • peggysue218
    peggysue218 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm glad others are a bit anxious about this time of year. My issue isn't the "wholesome" food... it's actually the sweets. I think my brain reprograms itself to overindulge on sweet things as soon as it starts hearing Christmas music. I'm incredibly grouchy if I deny myself sweets. Kicking sugar sounds extreme, but some say it's the only hope for intense sugar cravings. I might get there at some point, but for now it will help motivate me to avoid overindulging knowing that I'm not alone in my suffering. :) Thanks
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I'm glad others are a bit anxious about this time of year. My issue isn't the "wholesome" food... it's actually the sweets. I think my brain reprograms itself to overindulge on sweet things as soon as it starts hearing Christmas music. I'm incredibly grouchy if I deny myself sweets. Kicking sugar sounds extreme, but some say it's the only hope for intense sugar cravings. I might get there at some point, but for now it will help motivate me to avoid overindulging knowing that I'm not alone in my suffering. :) Thanks

i share your problem... what i do is go super super clean for the weeks leading up to the meal and then i wont feel as much guilt if i have 2 or 3 slices of cake.

it is not perfect but it works for me. i dont drink any juices or sodas so my only sources of sugar come from candy and desserts occasionally
  • SopranogirlCa
    SopranogirlCa Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hope is not a plan, you gotta have a plan.
    Follow your plan and you will be a success. Easier said than done but I know you can do it.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I plan on getting HOT for the Holidays! Continuing to work out multiple days a week. I'm going to do a shakeology 3 day cleanse after Thanksgiving. Remember what goes into the mouth is suppose to be nutrition for the body. Small taste of the sweets is fine, I don't need a full serving of 10 different things. Thats my plan!
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    Options
    As they say, a failure to plan is a plan to fail. Also, and this is just me ... pies don't look good on my thighs. Historically I get really serious over the holidays (wish I had the resolve during the rest of the year!!) and lose a few pounds ... weird right? Remember, that delicious pie, or piece of fudge will never get better than that first bite ... the rest is overkill. Take a tiny bite (and everyone wonders who the heck took a little bite of everything lol), savor it, and walk away. YOU CAN do it.