Sketchers Shape Ups

Options
Does anyone know if these really have any impact on your walk/workout?

Replies

• RPNKA
    RPNKA Posts: 28
    Options
    I have had them. I dont feel they impacted my weight loss any they are just very comfortable shoes to stand in for long periods of time. Although one plus to the shoes is that it improved my posture.
  • shelbiejo
    shelbiejo Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I use them for walking and when I am at the gym and I really like them...I don't feel like they impacted me either, but they are some of the better shoes I've had...Don't run in them though! They are really bad for running. I had to go buy different shoes for running because they gave me problems.

Edit- Mine were tone ups not shape ups...Opps!
  • kimmieyr1
    Options
    Class action lawsuit against them for false claims.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/may/17/nation/la-na-nn-skechers-20120517
  • tuulikki30
    tuulikki30 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    They have absolutely no impact on your weight loss. Credible athletic shoe stores don't even carry them where I live. It's what you do while wearing the shoes that have an impact on your weight loss, not the shoes themselves.
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Would never buy them again! Mine are going in the goodwill bin
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I bought them, but couldn't wear them - I always felt off balance.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i'd rather have no feet then wear them
  • cashew1b
    cashew1b Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have had them. I dont feel they impacted my weight loss any they are just very comfortable shoes to stand in for long periods of time. Although one plus to the shoes is that it improved my posture.

^^^ This.. I will say that when I where them walking, I feel a different set of muscles the next day. I tend to avoid it though; because, I've noticed that the arches in my feet will begin to bother me as well.
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Don't do it!
    :smile:
    Bought a pair; it really didn't make a difference.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I love my shape ups and I think people who are filing these law suits didn't read all the fine print...good god who is really going to believe shoes will make or even help you lose weight. I've got an island to sell to those people.

here is what mine do. they help put a bounce in my step. I have 3 broken toes that won't heal without rods which I refuse to get inserted....I bought the shoes and the very next day headed out for a walk expecting to A. have to break them in and B. still have to come home because they would hurt.

1 -- didn't have to break them in. I have NEVER owned a pair of shoes before that just fit like a glove and had no break in period. and 2. They support my toes in a way that I can walk up to 4.5 miles and not even realize I still have toes that are broken.

I also use these shoes in my zumba class and I can bounce all over the place. I do too feel they help with my posture. I am going to order another pair because I am never going to want a different pair of workout shoes. Ps I've been wearing mine since the beginning of July.
  • crickette0435
    Options
    Oh, good point. They are the tone ups. Shoot I can't run barefoot let alone a shoe with a thick sole. :laugh:
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Just another gimmick in my view
  • crickette0435
    Options
    Class action lawsuit against them for false claims.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/may/17/nation/la-na-nn-skechers-20120517

Wow, now this is good to know. I bought them brand new at a yard sale for $3. Good thing I didn't fork out more than that.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I bought them 2 years ago, not believing for a moment that I would lose any weight, I wanted to try and strengthen a broken ankle that had a major operation and never was 100% back to normal. My ankle did improve, but not 100% and I will never know if the Sketchers helped.

But since then I've taken up walking every day and maybe I'll pull them out again and try them instead of my walking shoes just to see how they feel.
  • crickette0435
    Options
    I love my shape ups and I think people who are filing these law suits didn't read all the fine print...good god who is really going to believe shoes will make or even help you lose weight. I've got an island to sell to those people.

here is what mine do. they help put a bounce in my step. I have 3 broken toes that won't heal without rods which I refuse to get inserted....I bought the shoes and the very next day headed out for a walk expecting to A. have to break them in and B. still have to come home because they would hurt.

1 -- didn't have to break them in. I have NEVER owned a pair of shoes before that just fit like a glove and had no break in period. and 2. They support my toes in a way that I can walk up to 4.5 miles and not even realize I still have toes that are broken.

I also use these shoes in my zumba class and I can bounce all over the place. I do too feel they help with my posture. I am going to order another pair because I am never going to want a different pair of workout shoes. Ps I've been wearing mine since the beginning of July.

I have been wanting to wear them to the gym but I am a little unsteady on my feet just walking to my boys school. I don't expect them to help me lose weight just maybe assist in strengthening a muscle or two. I guess I will wear them for a while before I take them for a test drive at the gym. Thank you for your input.
  • cmccoy0901
    cmccoy0901 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

I love my Shape Ups too, but I tried doing zumba in them and hurt my ankle. In my opinion they are great shoes for walking and they are comfy.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    They are extremely comfortable, especially if you are on your feet all day or have chronic foot pain, but no, they won't make your *kitten* look better or burn calories.
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I found I could wear them with no break in period - no strain on back or tightening of calves which they warn about. I found them quite cushioned.

However what I found was that their sole was too rigid with no real sense of what was below them, almost like wearing high-heeled wedged shoes, but with a rocker and if I walked on a "crack" and my weak ankles started to turn I would fall down. After four very bad falls with lots of bruises and 2 very badly twisted ankles I gave mine away. Due to my limited flexibility caused by my bad knees and my very rubbery ankles it is very difficult for me to recover from a misstep without falling. I really can trip on a crack, and if my shoes don't give me a real good sense of what's below me then it results in a fall. I stopped wearing those shoes and have not fallen since.

I have heard of people fracturing their ankles wearing these shoes so please be careful.

The tone-ups I believe have thinner soles and are more flexible so they might be better but I have no real interest to try them after my experience with the shape ups.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I love my Shape Ups too, but I tried doing zumba in them and hurt my ankle. In my opinion they are great shoes for walking and they are comfy.

yeah my best friend who does zumba class with me can't wear hers either. but like me she loves them for walking. I just feel great in them doing zumba..I feel like I'm really getting air time with my bounces and stuff.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    They're useless for any supposed fitness benefits, but they are very comfortable. My husband has flat feet and has always had problems finding comfortable shoes. He wears the men's Shape Ups to works and loves them. The only problem is the soft soles wear out fast, so he only gets a few months out of every pair.