Running

mblhmlbrldll
mblhmlbrldll Posts: 1
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Does anyone know how many calories running burns. I read that if you run 3-4 mph you take your weight x .75. Is this accurate? Also if you run like this on an olyptical your strides aren't as long, so running the same speed you are taking more strides, wouldn't you burn more.

Replies

• Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    I burn about 100 cal every 10 min. The only way you will have somewhat of a good idea of what you are burning is with a heart rate monitor. It's definitely something worth spending your pennies on!
  • i have a bodybugg (and love it!) which measures how many calories you burn everyday. personally, i burn about 1-2 at home not doing much, 5-6 calories walk/jogging and 7-8 calories/ min running. its based on my body temp/ sweat etc but hope have gives you a rough idea.
  • anirlz
    anirlz Posts: 18 Member
    I am the same as Iceprincess. I burn approximately 100 cal every ten minutes. Even when I do intervals or just jog at about 5.0 mph...it usually ends up being within a few calories. SO I usually estimate it at 100 per every ten minute as long as I know I am getting a moderate to intense workout (running, elliptical, bike)...not walking. I have used a heart rate monitor as well and they are very helpful too...so it is basically personal preference. :smile:
  • clcastro
    clcastro Posts: 17
    Of the exercises you mentioned running burns the most calories and is the most effective. The eliptical and the bike are the two least effective machines at the gym, they dont require much effort from your body and therefor you dont burn many calories, youd benefit more from walking at a brisk pace or on a treadmil with hill intervals. If your just getting into running you can try alternating walking and running to ease yourself into it, like walking a minute then running a minute or running two minutes walking one etc., This will also help with your metabolism because you are consantly changing your heart rate - hope this helps!
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Of the exercises you mentioned running burns the most calories and is the most effective. The eliptical and the bike are the two least effective machines at the gym, they dont require much effort from your body and therefor you dont burn many calories, youd benefit more from walking at a brisk pace or on a treadmil with hill intervals. If your just getting into running you can try alternating walking and running to ease yourself into it, like walking a minute then running a minute or running two minutes walking one etc., This will also help with your metabolism because you are consantly changing your heart rate - hope this helps!

My elliptical kicks my butt! ....it definitely takes effort and I burn about the same on that as I do running. (Of course, I use increased resistance and this new elliptical has incline adjustments too - which I'm still getting used to and don't have an opinion on yet)

Generally I burn about 100 calories per mile, regardless of how fast or how hard I run - faster running will get me that mile and 100 calories burned off quicker, slower running will still get me that 100 calorie burn, just in more time.
  • clcastro
    clcastro Posts: 17
    Of course the eliptical can challenge anyone all I was saying was if you ask any trainer or looking to REALLY burn the highest amount of calories, the eliptical and bike are never on those lists....running, row machine and step mill are the best ways to burn high calories its the truth!
  • cornboy72
    cornboy72 Posts: 175 Member
    Formula is BW x .72 = cal burned per mile. I have found this pretty accurate when doing my own comparison of that calculation versus the automatic counters on the treadmills I use. I have also read multiple publications that suggest run/walk speed doesn't matter and you burn roughly the same amount of calories.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Speed (mph) x 26.8 = meters/min

(Meters/min x .2) + 3.5 = Oxygen uptake (VO2)

VO2 divided by 3.5 = METS

METS x body wt (kg) = Calories/hour

Calories/hour/ 60 = Calories/min

This is accurate for outdoor running at speeds above 5.0 mph. At speeds above 8.0 mph, some research indicates it overpredicts Cal expenditure by up to 10%.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member

That particular model of elliptical tends to overestimate calorie burn. Even using an HRM, ellipticals with arm movements can overestimate calorie burn because arm work produces a higher HR at any given submax level of O2 uptake.

Changing your heart rate, in and of itself, has no effect on metabolism. Alternating high-intensity (i.e. 90%+ effort) intervals with lower-intensity intervals on a 1:1 or 2:1 ratio can result in an increased post-exercise calorie consumption, but that is due to the high-intensity work, not the changes in heart rate.

Just to clarify, alternating run/walk intervals will not have a significant metabolic effect unless those run intervals are at the high effort. In other words, jogging at 65% effort alternating with walking intervals would not do anything to raise post-exercise calorie burn (although it might have other beneficial effects).
  • cornboy72
    cornboy72 Posts: 175 Member
    Speed (mph) x 26.8 = meters/min

(Meters/min x .2) + 3.5 = Oxygen uptake (VO2)

VO2 divided by 3.5 = METS

METS x body wt (kg) = Calories/hour

Calories/hour/ 60 = Calories/min

This is accurate for outdoor running at speeds above 5.0 mph. At speeds above 8.0 mph, some research indicates it overpredicts Cal expenditure by up to 10%.
    I like my .72 :bigsmile:
  • boniekatie
    boniekatie Posts: 147
    That works great if you know the distance you are going.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    I find a good rule of thumb is 100 cals for every 10 mins of easy running/jogging
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    running, row machine and step mill are the best ways to burn high calories its the truth!

Be careful with the rowing machine though. I never see anyone using it properly unless they're actually rowers. I've even seen people during their personal training session with their personal trainer standing right there looking at the dial and ignoring the fact that their technique meant they were achieving basically nothing other than increasing the risk of back injury.

The most common mistake is to shoot your bum out. This happens when you straighten your legs and lean forward a little bit. Then you pull the handle back entirely from back muscles. You get the heart rate up, but you don't use your legs at all, and its very dangerous for your back to do this. Almost all of the pull should come from legs. The pull is usually a lot faster than the return motion as well.

The best way to learn to do this is not to ask your personal trainer. Ask someone who's using it that looks like they know what they're doing (they've probably had rowing training before). In my experience, 80% of PTs don't actually know how to use this machine, or at least don't know how to explain it.
This discussion has been closed.