Crockpot v Slow Cooker

Options
IzzyBooNZ1
IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
Hi there
I have decided I want to get either a crockpot or a slow cooker but am not sure, what is the difference and what do you prefer?
Also when I decide what to get, what kind of features should I look for?

I won't ask for model recs as I am in New Zealand so probably won't be able to get it here !

thanks !

Replies

• VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    They are the same thing. Crockpot is a brand name from Rival for a slow cooker.

I have 3 Crockpot brand slow cookers (various sizes), and they are all wonderful.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    When I read the topic I thought my mind was about to be blown and that there were two different things. I have a big one and a little one and I love them. Esp during the cold days. Stew all hot and ready when I get home from work.... bliss.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Same thing :)

My best advice is to think about the quantities you are going to be cooking and get a small, medium or large one to suit. We have a pretty big one and when my husband is away I don't tend to use it because it is really only useful for cooking big batches.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you aren't thinking of pressure cookers v slow cookers? I have both and both do a similar job but one is very fast and one is very slow. You can sear your meat in the pressure cooker and I believe some of the newer slow cookers have this feature too.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    Options
    Awesome thanks everyone!
  • imncontrolofme
    imncontrolofme Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have a large one (7 quart) that has a timer on it which I love because I'm usually away from home more than 8 hours, so it will turn off and keep it on the "keep warm" setting until I get home. I also highly recommend one that the inner crock pot comes out....makes it so much easier to clean (not sure they still make the ones that don't come out, but just in case thought I'd mention it.). If you can find them, the crock pot liners are a blessing, makes clean up so easy! Good luck!
  • deedster_a
    deedster_a Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I use my crockpot much more than my pressure cooker. I can leave it cooking all day while I am gone. I would look for a programmable one that lets you set the hours then changes to keep warm. Also, if you might want to take it somewhere, they have ones that the lid latches so it won't spill. They also have insulated carriers for them. I would also get an oval one instead of a round one.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    Options
    thanks again everyone, much appreciated !
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I have 2. A big one and a smaller one because I may just throw a couple chicken breasts in with some salsa for quick burritos or I may need the big one for stew or cabbage rolls.I prefer a programmable one(I got it at Kohl's)