Are days of the phone over

Options
charelg
charelg Posts: 599 Member
Is it just me, or is it a fact that we talk on the phone a lot less?? Although I am older now and have less time for chat it seems everyone is on social networks or text messaging. It is kind of sad when ya think about it.

Replies

• MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I fing hate the phone.... i don't even order pizza... i just broke down and got a cell last year...(It's a totally awesome slider phone! bahaha)
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I hope not... I like to talk to much for that to happen!
  • Surfrider
    Surfrider Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I read a study recently that email numbers are way down and text messaging is quickly rising to the top preferred communication method.
  • ferrytrip
    ferrytrip Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Depends, home phone - maybe, cell/mobile - no.
    But I hate texting, if I have to text you more than three times in a converstion - we should be talking.
  • charelg
    Options
    Yeah I like texting if its quick, but I hate going back and forth via text. And next thing you know the text was misunderstood and someone is mad. I rarely use the phone at home, at work I have no choice.
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    Some people still talk on the phone. Personally I prefer texting, I sent almost 10,000 texts last month. It's alot more convenient
  • charelg
    Options
    Oops, reposted twice.
  • christschild2
    christschild2 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I like the phone. I say what I need to say then get off.
  • Emv79
    Emv79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Don't get me started....I still miss getting real mail that's not a bill. As for the phone, I'm tied to my Blackberry for work, so the last thing I want to do during "me time" is talk on the phone or even text...
  • charelg
    Options
    Lol, I hear ya Esther!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I don't mind the phone. I actually think its more efficient than texting for the most part. However, I talk to people all day long. So, I'm really not interested in talking on the phone when I'm not at work.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I'm not sad about that. I hate talking on the phone. I'll text till the cows come home but I hate talking. Except in person. I can't shut up in person.
  • seed_of_wonder
    seed_of_wonder Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    i talk on the phone about an hour per night.
    i prefer handwritten letters though
  • charelg
    Options
    When I used to smoke I enjoyed talking on the phone at night..now after work, I workout and everything else, not much time for small talk...
  • ferrytrip
    ferrytrip Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I like the phone. I say what I need to say then get off.

Well said
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I have this discussion with people pretty often (my work is related to telephones) - and my conclusion is that while it's great to have a range of options for communication, there are still times when you want to have a real time conversation.

The problem with email, SMS etc is that they are send/receive communication options - you have to wait to get a response and you don't have any immediate confirmation that the other person has received your message.

Online chat options, video calls etc are real-time, but not everyone has those communication options.
    So, for now, we still need to make phone calls, but definitely less that we needed to a few years ago.
  • giggles7706
    giggles7706 Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I hate talking on the phone. I would much rather text. :/
  • paleirishmother
    Options
    It depends on the situation. If someone is texting me non-stop, trying to tell me a story I will stop replying to their text messages and call them. Sometimes you cant tell the whole story, with a text.
  • zlem
    zlem Posts: 92
    Options
    I hardly ever use my phone for talking, mostly text/email/ browsing/mfp etc
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I'm no longer a fan of being on the phone for long chats.