MFP: "You are eating too few calories..."

Options
After completing your daily food diary, how many of you are told by MFP that you are eating too few calories and blah blah blah..?
Do you always eat the recommended amount?
What about the calories you burn with your daily workout, do you eat them back?

Replies

• dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    No, because I eat 2,400 calories to lose weight.
    I eat what I have set for myself, so yes.
    Yes, because it's set up that way.
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Usually only part of them if any. I don't try to hit any percentage, I just try to keep it under 1400 no matter my exercise of the day because if I eat more, even if I have exercised, I gain. When I see that message, I just look at the part that says "If every day were like this you'd be X pounds in five weeks" and say, yeah, I could live with that...doesn't seem excessive or unhealthy and I'm full so I'm good. Thanks for sharing your opinion MFP but my way is working for me...I just keep you around to do the math calculations for me cause it's so much easier that way. :o)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I've only gotten that message a couple times, on days when I was either sick or fasting. I try to stick closely to my target, and I eat all my exercise calories back. Every delicious one. I'm in the home stretch, and I know that eating too few calories is counterproductive for me, and I want to be able to transition to maintenance without weight re-gain. For that, it's very important for me to meet my goals. Plus, I'm at the point where I can tell the difference in my workouts when my nutrition is sub-par. I have fitness/performance goals as well as weight goals, and having a crappy workout sucks.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I've only gotten that message a couple times, on days when I was either sick or fasting. I try to stick closely to my target, and I eat all my exercise calories back. Every delicious one. I'm in the home stretch, and I know that eating too few calories is counterproductive for me, and I want to be able to transition to maintenance without weight re-gain. For that, it's very important for me to meet my goals. Plus, I'm at the point where I can tell the difference in my workouts when my nutrition is sub-par. I have fitness/performance goals as well as weight goals, and having a crappy workout sucks.
    ^^ This exactly.
    Well, except that I did reach my goal. Eating around 1800 cals a day. :wink:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Hell no, I have no interest in eating so little.
    I think I've only seen that message when I'm sick - and probably not even then because I don't usually bother to click the "complete" button.
  • GypsysBloodRose26
    GypsysBloodRose26 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I've only seen that message a couple of times. I always eat back at least some of my exercise calories. If I lose around 2 pounds a week eating 1700 or so calories a day, that is what I am going to do. I think eating under is just a recipe for weight gain when you go into maintenance.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    No, because I eat 2,400 calories to lose weight.
    I eat what I have set for myself, so yes.
    Yes, because it's set up that way.
    this.
    except i eat like 2000ish to lose
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    it said that to me last week once but I'd either never seen it before or hadn't noticed. And I was prolly a couple hundred calories too low that day. But since I don't eat very many of my exercise calories it always says I have some ridiculous amt left, yet doesn't say it on those days. So last week I was 200 off and got the msg but tonight I could eat 3800 more without going over and it won't say anything? I dont think that makes sense.
  • ashleighfit1989
    Options
    I calorie zig zag for weight loss, but I've set my maximum calories to my maintence of 56kg. I zig zag to switch things up.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I have never had the message as I have never gone low - but basically ^this and very much ^^this with regards to performance.
  • malery06
    malery06 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Considering my 1-2 lb weight loss a week I assume I am taking in the proper amount of calories, even if its a little less some days. Oh and i don't ever eat back the calories I burn, I didn't know it had to be that way :ohwell:
  • Ozzyzmommy
    Ozzyzmommy Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Yes I try everyday to keep my calories under my goal... I'am to eat 1200 cal, but I set my goal to 1000, to compensate for the accidentals I may get into... If I eat over 1000 cal I gain weight, (I don't know why but it's always been like this)
    There is no way I would eat what calories I work off, I work off at times 1500 plus calories in a day... there is no way I could eat that! I would be as big as a bus if I did...
  • ashleighfit1989
    Options
    Eating back is a personal choice, If I'm hungry I eat, but I keep it within my limits and healthy.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Considering my 1-2 lb weight loss a week I assume I am taking in the proper amount of calories, even if its a little less some days. Oh and i don't ever eat back the calories I burn, I didn't know it had to be that way :ohwell:

Two points:
    1) Wouldn't the whole process be better if you could lose 1-2 lbs/wk and eat like 500 more calories more (I have no idea the actual numbers, but the fact that you're getting the message suggests that it's less than 1200, and lots of women, lots, lose around 1600 cals/day)
    2) You might be losing a higher than desirable % of muscle mass. The problem with that is that when people lose a high % of muscle mass, they get to goal weight and still look doughy. Most people should be trying to lose as high as possible a % of fat, and for that, smaller calorie deficits work better.
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    I see it all too often. My min. calorie intake is 1200 unless Im sick, if that comes up I drink a protein drink. I try to eat more like 1600 calories.... eatting enough is a constant struggle for me. Because I find I am sicker at the end of the day, I think I will begin the day with that protein drink. :) Eatting disorders and Ebstien Barr do not a good mix make. good luck what ever you do.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options

Two points:
    1) Wouldn't the whole process be better if you could lose 1-2 lbs/wk and eat like 500 more calories more (I have no idea the actual numbers, but the fact that you're getting the message suggests that it's less than 1200, and lots of women, lots, lose around 1600 cals/day)
    2) You might be losing a higher than desirable % of muscle mass. The problem with that is that when people lose a high % of muscle mass, they get to goal weight and still look doughy. Most people should be trying to lose as high as possible a % of fat, and for that, smaller calorie deficits work better.
    Exactly. What I've been doing for the past few month is going on bf% alone. I've stayed at almost the same weigh the whole time (I think I've literally lost 2 lbs) but I've list 2.4bf. from 16.5-14.1. :)
  • TrekkieChic
    TrekkieChic Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' tall, 193lb (154cm/88kg), I eat 1600 a day... And I'm still losing steadily.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I've had that one time in my 3 years on MFP. I think it turned the starvation mode on or something.

But listen to Bean. She makes sense.
  • afgivens4
    Options
    From what I am reading above, I am doing this weight loss thing way wrong....
    My tally says that EVERY day. I almost always stay under and I never even count my exercise. I consider that just a bonus. Maybe I need to rethink things. My weight loss is extremely slow going.
  • jadeh218
    jadeh218 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I get it a bit because I'm eating 1500 cals, and I do a bit of exercise and don't eat my exercise calories. I just look at the quality of food that I'm eating, and then decide whether it was good enough or not.