Working in a restaurant

Options
I work in a restaurant and I go in at 5pm usually having to stay until 10 pm or later. I work like 4-5 nights a week (I'm a student) so even if I eat a meal right before I go into work, within the 5 hours I'm there I get hungry and there is no healthy food there so I try to bring healthy snacks but sometimes snack on the unhealthy food there argh, anyone have suggestions on better ways to go about curbing my appetite when I'm working?

Replies

• hbuffing
    hbuffing Posts: 23
    Options
    Oh man I totally know what you are going through. I am a working student as a part time nanny and the kids eat nothing but fast food, pizza, and mac n cheese. On top of dessert, sugar, and chocolate lol!!! It is so hard and I have been terrible lately with the temptation and have been eating. But, in the past I used to be really good at preventing this by chewing gum. The trick is to keep a few different kinds of gum with you. For me when I get the urge for something salty or savory I pop in a piece of peppermint gum which usually stops me of thinking about the craving. But, If i am having a sugar craving, I grab a piece of sweet gum (like strawberry or watermelon flavor). It works kinds well and tricks your body into thinking you are having sweets. Best of luck!!:smile:
  • photoman67
    photoman67 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Take a protein shake with you. You can get them in single serving bottles or cans. They will make you feel full for a while especially if you have some fruit with it.
  • emily859
    emily859 Posts: 38
    Options
    I used to work in restaurants too. I would carry zone bars, larabars, any meal bar with a lot of protein, or a half peanut butter sandwich w/ me in my apron. Usually things were too chaotic to bring much more. Other ppl I worked with had slimfast type drinks (which never filled me up). I hated the meal disruption of working in restaurants... plus you are around food all day that is not healthy and I know I had trouble resisting it sometimes.
  • madoy042
    madoy042 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i work in a restaurant as well. a few of us girls take turns bringing pre-cut fruit, veggies and nuts. stuff that is easy to snack on during the night. it helps having others to encourge you not to induldge in the fried foods so easily accessible!