how would you log...

Options
kateyb
kateyb Posts: 138 Member
sod the shred, i've just worked up quite the sweat moving furniture and boxes and stuff, how would you record that type of exercise? I was at it for just under an hour so got to count for something right?!

Replies

• freedMan
    freedMan Posts: 68
    Options
    On something like that, I don't count it as deliberate exercise. I only log exercise that was deliberate because I know my heart rate was increased for a consistent amount of time. Look at it this way, if by chance you managed to burn 200 calories out of moving furniture, not eating them won't hurt you any. In fact its a little lee-way for the rest of your day!

Simply put, keep track of your exercise calories, not EVERYTHING!
  • arleneboles
    Options
    go into your database on your exercises menu and find the aerobics, general page,,scroll down to moving furniture and pick which one best describes your activity,,
  • froggy905
    froggy905 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I would not count this kind of "incidental" activity as exercise. It is a good bonus, but not a replacement for intentional and determined activity that really gets your heart rate up and sustains it. Just because you sweat doing something does not make it exercise.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    sod the shred, i've just worked up quite the sweat moving furniture and boxes and stuff, how would you record that type of exercise? I was at it for just under an hour so got to count for something right?!

Moving furniture is hard work, and you can bet I'D be counting it! :wink:

Check out this site that calculates how many calories burned for tons of different activities. I'm sure moving furniture will be there! :smile:
    http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    It depends on your general activity level. I'm considering myself "sedentary" and yes, I would log moving furniture as exercise, as it is not a usual activity for me. If I were already at a "very active" level I would not count it.

A few months ago somebody else pointed out that in the old days people stayed slim by doing chores, not by going to the gym. And I'm sure they didn't worry about their heart rates; they just did heavy work. :smile: