food v excersice

Options
How much of weight loss is governed by exercise and how much food intake or do they go hand in hand?? for example if you work out 4/5 times a week and eat healthy most days eg mon to fri (relax a little at the weekend) will you still have a good weight loss or do you have to be eating good 7 days a week.

whilst I’m posting can i also ask i saw a post on here I’m sure about how long it takes to start noticing a difference once you start eating better and exercising can any one point me in the right direction.

and lastly I’m looking for friends who can help me perhaps point out on my diary what I’m doing wrong or what i could do better and generally give me a push in the right direction.

Replies

• Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say I am not great at exercise. The only kind of exercise I do is walking the dog, going riding once or twice a week and maybe do the odd bit of Zumba on the Wii. So I would say 90% of my weight loss stems of regulating how much I eat - the good old "less in than out" principle. And it works. It might be a slower loss than one combined with exercise, I will definitely not have abs of steel at any point in my life but hey. My aim is to feel happy in my body, have the energy to do things I want to and be at a healthy weight. But everyone is different, so what works for me probably doesn't work for everyone. I started off eating really well 7 days a week with the odd day "off" for a meal out or a drink at the weekend, it has slipped a bit to every weekend which is setting me back at the moment, but that is my fault alone :-)
    I started noticing a difference (maybe not visual on the outside but on the inside) almost immediately, maybe within a week or so. I felt more energetic coz I was eating better, I felt in control of my life and my body and that gave me the push to continue until the weight started to come off. I weigh every day as it makes me accountable every day of what I eat and think about my choices. (Again, might not work for everyone as there is the dreaded fluctuation, lol).
    I don't know how much good I would be checking your diary spotting what might be wrong, as I don't really follow the macros to the max or follow a particular belief when it comes to carbs, protein, fat etc. My only motto is the already mentioned "put less calories in your mouth than you use" and I am doing fine with that. No restrictions, if I want chocolate, I have chocolate - I just don't have the whisky and vice versa ... this is what makes me stick with it ;-)
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Diet is the most important aspect of losing weight. Try to make healthy choices as often as possible. Making healthy choices 100% of the time is unsustainable for most people. For many people, allowing an occasional cheat meal or cheat day helps from the feeling of being deprived of certain types of food.

Regarding noticing changes - patience is key. Be patient, stay on plan and you will see the changes with time. If you expect quick results it's very likely you will be disappointed.

Regarding exercise, while not critical for losing weight - it is necessary for fitness. I put off doing exercise for far too long. At one point I felt good about losing 60lbs, but didn't feel good about the muscle lost along with the fat. I have since regained some of the strength and continue to build on my overall fitness. If I had to do it all over again I would have exercised more from the very beginning. Patience is also beneficial for developing a solid exercise routine. Do one small thing, a 1 mile walk for example, and then over time add to the routine by adding in other exercises. Eventually exercising simply becomes part of your daily routine.

Focus on a healthy diet .
    Be patient.
    Start exercising sooner than later.
  • lionprincess84
    Options
    To put it simply
    you lose weight in the kitchen...
    you get fit in the gym
  • olsen317
    Options
    To put it simply
    you lose weight in the kitchen...
    you get fit in the gym

Agreed!

A personal trainer once told me that losing weight is 80% diet, 10% aerobic exercise and 10% strength training. So - the biggest bang for your buck is to eat healthy. Not to say you can't have a cheat day or cheat meal, but if you eat well most of the time, you will lose.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You can't out-train a bad diet.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    You can't out-train a bad diet.

^^^^ This

If you don't control your intake to make sure it's less than what your body needs then you simply can't lose any weight. It really clicked in my head when I realized I would have to walk 30 minutes to burn off one beer.
  • whyldebear
    whyldebear Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    so the general opinion is so long as i eat well 90% and excersise as much as poss i should see some results and is not gonna hurt if i have an off day were i maybe have a few wines or out for a meal. i only say this as yeah i wanna lose weight and be healthier but i also dont want to have to give up verything i enjoy all the time as well i imagine life would be quite dull and then i wouldnt stick to it.

so after all that thank you everyone for you help and advice muchly appreciated
    :) x
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    so the general opinion is so long as i eat well 90% and excersise as much as poss i should see some results and is not gonna hurt if i have an off day were i maybe have a few wines or out for a meal. i only say this as yeah i wanna lose weight and be healthier but i also dont want to have to give up verything i enjoy all the time as well i imagine life would be quite dull and then i wouldnt stick to it.

so after all that thank you everyone for you help and advice muchly appreciated
    :) x

You can eat and drink whatever you want as long as it fits your daily or weekly calories. Also, technically you don't have to workout at all since the calorie deficit from food can get you the weight loss. But working out helps give you extra calories to eat and helps with fitness.