Your Progress in 5k timing

Options
how long did it take you to go from 5 mi/hr to 6 mi/hr and higher ??

Replies

• sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    anyone?
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting week 8 and ran 5mph this morning but last week managed 5.2mph. Its quite hilly where I live to so that's got to be a factor. I'm more worried about completing the run at the moment than speed though
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your level of fitness and the distance you are running, If you are going to run for 1 hour then you are not going to run as hard as if you were only running for say 20 mins. also the course is a big factor as you would struggle to get a good avg if the course was hilly and you should be expected to get a better avg on a flat course. So maybe you should try and push yourself on a flatter shorter route to get the speed up, one thing I have noticed with my own running is that I didn't have the confidence to push it hard for the first few weeks as I was worried about blowing up but even if you do you will be better for it in the future.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    7mi/hr here & climbing. Was about 6 when I was really really sore with shin splints, but now that it isn't so sore I'm faster again. Took me about a month to get from 5mi/hr to 7
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    It's different for everyone.

I took quite a while off from running this year starting in March, and just picked it up in September full on again, so my results may vary.

I was able to run a 5k race (hilly) in 28:03 in March, which was almost a year from when I started. After getting back into it, my best time in a 5k so far is 26:22. That's about 8:30 a mile.

So about 1.5 yr, I shaved 4 minutes off my one mile time.
  • sam308lbs
    Options
    7mi/hr here & climbing. Was about 6 when I was really really sore with shin splints, but now that it isn't so sore I'm faster again. Took me about a month to get from 5mi/hr to 7

wow that is great progress..thanks for sharing
  • sam308lbs
    Options
    I think it depends on your level of fitness and the distance you are running, If you are going to run for 1 hour then you are not going to run as hard as if you were only running for say 20 mins. also the course is a big factor as you would struggle to get a good avg if the course was hilly and you should be expected to get a better avg on a flat course. So maybe you should try and push yourself on a flatter shorter route to get the speed up, one thing I have noticed with my own running is that I didn't have the confidence to push it hard for the first few weeks as I was worried about blowing up but even if you do you will be better for it in the future.

yea thats why i mentioned that the timing was for 5k but i get your point.I am just trying to get a general idea bcuz right now i am not enjoying the run at all..its painful lol
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

I should have mentioned that it is over 10km for me rather than 5km. Took me about 2 weeks to go from 5km to 10km runs.
  • sam308lbs
    Options

I should have mentioned that it is over 10km for me rather than 5km. Took me about 2 weeks to go from 5km to 10km runs.
    Steroids dont count lady!!! Just kidding..you are wonderwoman respect!!
  • RyanSolomon
    Options
    Started running just less than a year now, it got me into the whole fitness thing so I really implore you to keep it up!!!
    I’m running a 5km in 24min my best is 22.17min and my 10km is around 50min with a best of 48.20min, I’m not a natural runner so if I can do it you can do it, I set myself small goals, my big one was 5k in under 30min so try that, speed is always harder than distance!
    Good luck!
  • Marks281172
    Marks281172 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Distance wise i went from not no running at all to my first 5k in about 3 weeks, first 10k was about a month after that, first 1/2 marathon about 6 months after that. Time wise i started running 5ks in about 35 mins, i got it under 30mins after a few weeks and run my PR of 24:50 in July so thats about 6 months after starting running.

Ive since switched back to powerlifting training but still running a 5k each week and a good time for me is anything under 30 mins, heavy squatting the day before a run isnt ideal for a good time :)
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    It took a year for me to complete C25K. I started at 32 minutes (March '12). Working at the speed, I was able to get it to 28 minutes. There I plateaued because I was only working at a faster 5K. Then I decided to train for a 10K My times were 64 minutes. After two 10Ks, I went and ran a 5K in 25 minutes (Sept. '12). After training for a 1/2 marathon, my 5K came down to 24 minutes and my 10K was at 55 (Sept. '12).

Longer runs will increase your short run speeds!
  • sam308lbs
    Options
    Started running just less than a year now, it got me into the whole fitness thing so I really implore you to keep it up!!!
    I’m running a 5km in 24min my best is 22.17min and my 10km is around 50min with a best of 48.20min, I’m not a natural runner so if I can do it you can do it, I set myself small goals, my big one was 5k in under 30min so try that, speed is always harder than distance!
    Good luck!
    thank you!! thats my first goal too 5k under 30 mins...pretty far fetched at this point since i am doing 5.20 mi/hr but i'll get there :)
  • sam308lbs
    Options

Longer runs will increase your short run speeds!

This is fantastic advice..thankyou Sir!!!
  • simplythebaz
    simplythebaz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've just been able to run 5k for the first time in the past 3 weeks, trying to get my time down from 33:25 to 30:00 before I then want to work on running further (ultimately 10k).

A guy lives below me runs with the local running club and he's told me to improve speed you should do one session of short sprints a week. They jog about half a mile to a particular spot, stretch, then sprint 50 yards to a particular lamp post, then walk back to the start, sprint to the lamp post, repeat 10 times. Then jog home. Haven't tried it yet, but think I will shortly.
  • RyanSolomon
    Options
    I strongly disagree,
    longer runs wont make your short runs faster, it will improve your stamina but you need to work out your heart and lungs more, simplythebaz has it right, do interval training, that's how you get faster, that's how you work out your heart and lungs in manageable doses.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I strongly disagree,
    longer runs wont make your short runs faster, it will improve your stamina but you need to work out your heart and lungs more, simplythebaz has it right, do interval training, that's how you get faster, that's how you work out your heart and lungs in manageable doses.

Longer runs do improve your 5k times. For most newer to intermediate runners that is the quickest and most effective way to drop their 5k times. In time improvement from distance alone will plateau, and speedwork is needed to make further improvements. But if you drop the long runs, you'll likely find your times increasing.

There is a reason advanced 5k training plans are at about 40-45 miles per week with long runs of 10-14 miles once a week. Yes, they have 1-2 days of speedwork as well, because that's needed at that level.

Does that mean you shouldn't do intervals? No, it doesn't. For one thing they are fun, and for another they do help with learning pacing and with race recovery. But don't sacrifice increasing miles to do more intervals in the early to intermediate stages of 5k racing.
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Its ok doing intervals for speed but if you don't have the miles in your legs you will not last the distance, I normall do time trials of p to 50 miles but I will go on traiing rides of over 100 miles sometimes just so I no my body can cope with the extra distance and I am not going to blow up after 25 mins, So you really need to have a balanced training plan of speed and stamina work and not one or another.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I started running using C25K on the treadmill in December 2010 at 5mph. I was 38 years old and hadn't run since I was forced to in gym class in school 20 years earlier. By the time I finished the program, I was around 5.5mph, sometimes bumping it up to 6mph. When I ran my first race in March 2011, which was a 4.5mile race, I averaged a pace of 5.8mph and that included walk breaks, which shocked the hell out of me! Two weeks later, I ran my first 5k at about 6.2mph with no walk breaks. Two months after that, I was averaging 6.7mph in a 5 mile race. I continued running over the summer, but didn't race until late September and early October 2011. By then, I finished a 10k at 7.15mph and a 5k at 7.5mph.

I've since decided I don't really like racing (how many frickin' t-shirts do you need???), and have shifted my focus to weight lifting with running being just for fun and not working on speed. I typically run 10-15 miles a week.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I strongly disagree,

No matter how strongly you disagree, you are dead wrong. This has been proven time and time again.