I need motivation please!

Options
I was doing so well with losing weight. I had lost 12 lbs in just a few weeks. However, once my husband stopped smoking, that all changed. He resorted to eating ALL the time. He constantly made delicious snacks that were packed in fat and calories. After seeing how good his snacks looked, as well as how good they smelled, I started eating them too. Before I knew it, I gained 5 lbs back of what I lost! I am so disappointed in myself. But today, I made a decision. I will NOT do this anymore! I will exercise at least 5 days a week, and I will not give in to temptation. Easier said than done, but I've got to do this! Can I please get some support and motivation? This will greatly help me. Thanks so much everyone!

Replies

• justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I certainly feel for you. It is so difficult to resist temptation. For me it's salty foods and right now I am staring at a bag of sour cream and onion potato chips and salvitating and it's only 9am. :laugh: What's works for me quite often is chewing on sugarfree gum. Give it a try. Hang in there. You can do it!
  • sijohnson
    sijohnson Posts: 10
    Options
    Try varying the type of exercise and training, Going to gym and doing 5 days of similar training will not motivate you as your body will not respond after somet ime. Try some cardio work/classes, then some pilates/core training and then some strength work.
    This will give you a more challenging psychological approach to training and hopefully will motivate you to keep going. I teach Kettlebells and my clients love it because its short effective and works core, cardio and strength in one session and each session can be altered to break up the monotony. Keep focused and remember - KITKATS are only 126 calories! LOL

GOOD LUCK:happy:
  • p_poppenhagen
    Options
    Hi. I will help. You can help me too. I'm just starting out. I think if you have a support buddy it helps. I need to find a picture and put it on my fridge. I thought maybe looking in a magazine and finding the fattest person I can find. Visuals really help me. I gained 20 lbs. after dating this guy who all he did was cook and eat. Now I feel so fat. I need to lose the 20 lbs. I gained. I refuse to buy new clothes and get bigger and bigger that is ridiculous. If you have children, we need to be around for our kids. Think of our hearts and the weight that is hurting our hearts. I can only eat 1350 a day... how am I gonna do that? omgosh! lol, lol. fruit and veggies here I come lol, lol. I think tracking it all really helps tho.
  • kfasy11
    kfasy11 Posts: 3
    Options
    You CAN do it! The key for me was finding an exercise I enjoy. I've always LOATHED the gym, HATED running...but I've started doing power yoga (having never done any yoga in my life before) and 2 months later I look forward to going, even on the weekends! Don't force some boring, strenuous exercise on yourself that you dread! My eating habits have improved drastically (and my husband and I own a restaurant, so there's CONSTANTLY temptation all around). Believe me, I love to eat more than ANYONE I know, and have always hated working out more than anyone I know, but I found something that finally works for me! I still eat chinese food on Sundays or go all out at a nice restaurant once in awhile--but overall I've reduced my snacking and am seeing the results, and you can too! Keep at it and good luck!
  • Fuhgeddaboudit
    Options
    Look at the snacks and pick a place on your body to place them.

Thats how I avoid bad foods! :laugh:
  • goinghiking
    goinghiking Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good for you to keep your determination. Now have some fun: if you cando it, hop on a bike, or put on your sneakers and just walk (or just hop around in your living room!) for 20 minutes (or even 10).
  • lchisum
    lchisum Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Get the food out of the house! The next time you buy groceries, don't purchase things he can use to make the snacks that are tempting you...buy snacks that are heathy and maybe he will join you in eating them! We no longer have a twinkie drawer at our house! The drawers still there, but its empty. My husband and Grandson didn't mind having grapes & strawberries instead of twinkies!
  • jefcity
    jefcity Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Adrienne,
    I certainly feel for you. Since your hubby has quit smoking, instead of sitting around and eating fattening crap, he should be working out with you and eating healthy foods so he doesn't balloon up....and he will if he keeps eating like that. I gained over 10 lbs. when I first quit smoking, in the 1st month!!

You are in the right place for support!!! But it helps tremendously if you also have that support at home too. Hang in there, you're stronger than you think you are!
  • nicola_mcg
    Options
    try not to beat yourself up too much! 12lbs in a few weeks it a lot of weight to lose so quickly, and it makes it so easy to put the weight back on, and to give up on such a tough diet. if you aim for 1-2lbs a week your more likely to keep it off, Which overall that is what you have lost. I think slow progression makes you change your lifestyle that you'll be more likely to stick to once your at your desired weight, try not to be too hard on yourself as your more likely to fail.
  • AdrienneLich
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for your help and advice.

sijohnson - I do random workouts all the time. I have a gym membership and I do zumba 3 days a week, pilates once a week, and I also engage in aquatics, body sculpt, and several others. Not to mention, I go swimming and use the treadmill. I also used to walk every night, but I stopped that when winter got here. It was just too cold for me. I plan to start that back up though. Oh, and thanks for the KITKAT tip! LOL

p_poppenhagen - I'm sorry to hear about the guy you were dating. I was with a man before that introduced me to deep-fried twinkies. Boy, did I ever pack on the weight! I would love to help you. Buddies are great to have when you're losing weight because they can hold each other accountable.

jefcity - My husband knows all about the weight gain. He's already gained 24 lbs just in the past 2 months since he quit smoking. He complains about his weight, but he still keeps eating. I try to help him, but it just doesn't work.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    You have to find the willpower in yourself. My husband and son eat burgers and pizza in front of me. I let myself indulge about once every week or two but basically stick to my food plan no matter what. I've had temptations and I just realize that feeling good and looking good are better than anything I could shove in my mouth.