100lb loss - no excess skin

Options
How is it possible!??

I two friends who have had gastric bypass. Friend #1 has excess skin like any normal person would when they lose 100+lbs in a short period of time. She has bingo wings, a wiggly tummy, and ruined breasts. She ate somewhat healthy after her surgery and worked out about 3x a week.

Fried #2 who is the exact opposite. She was a party girl, and eats junk food, and drinks... she has absolutely no excess skin. She looks phenomenal and has nice small arms, no excess weird rolls anywhere, and a flat stomach.

WHY! Why are some people blessed!! Is anyone else out there frustrated with their weirdly shaped bodies after so much weight loss or am I on a raft by myself in the middle of the ocean on this one?

Replies

• Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    You're the normal one! Most people when they lose that much weight have extra skin. Lifting heavy weights helps a lot though from what I have seen!!
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Being young helps, but some people are just lucky and have skin that snaps right back.

Not me, unfortunately, so I feel your pain (or loose skin jiggling, as the case may be).
  • Shrinking_Xtina
    Shrinking_Xtina Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Height and genetics play a major factor. My loose skin is the bane of my existence.
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I'm debating whether or not I should go to the gym tonight, but after whining about how skinny my friend is I'm going to pull the stick out of my butt and do something about it.
  • deadliftfan
    Options
    Moisturising helps, especially after showering.
  • miss4sure
    miss4sure Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm great question. I guess I will find out when I reach 100lb loss... so far I can tell that my arms are going to drive me crazy and I am already thinking the big S word (surgery)... But that will be after I have tried weight lifting to see if that helps. Guess we will never be 100% happy with what we have... but I sure will try my best! :wink:
  • miss4sure
    Options

Any one in particular that works great?
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the lucky ones too. I'm 37, lost 90 lbs, and have no excess skin. I have a few minor stretch marks on my hips but that's it. I don't use any special moisturizer, but I do work out a lot.

While I think the exercise has helped, I think it's mostly genetics.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Genetics is a biotch sometimes. But then...so is karma.
  • crickette0435
    Options
    I had 150 lb weight loss after my bypass. I am surprised to see that not one person mentioned water consumption. A good balanced cardio + strength training workout combined with drinking a ton of ice water will help your skin rebound. People do not know I have had gastric bypass unless I tell them. It is soooo important to drink water all day everyday.
  • louiselebeau
    louiselebeau Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    If you have insurance, they will sometimes cover excess skin removal. Especially if you get a rash for skin rubbing that just won't go away.

Cyn
  • deadliftfan
    Options

I've had great results with bio oil.
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    I agree...so unfair.

I am down a total of 130 pounds from 10 years ago....and my skin reminds me all the time. I have decided to have it removed. It affects my general view of myself and I can't deal with it anymore.

And yeah...I drank water, exercised, moisturized...all that. With no luck. Or maybe this is way better than it coulda been?? Lol
  • miss4sure
    Options

I've had great results with bio oil.

Cool. thanks. I will try that.
  • reneecgc
    reneecgc Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I am lucky that I am only flabby in areas where no one can see. My breasts are horrible and my stomach has some sagging. No bikins in my future, If I come into some money I may get surgery, but it is not that bad.