More Exercise, Less Appetite?

Options
So lately I've been exercising as on 1200 calories I am like a food-obsessed zombie... However... as soon as I do exercise I find that I have no appetite. Which leaves me with extra calories to eat and no interest in eating them. Does anyone else have this? How do you solve it? I'm finding it hard to eat all of the calories as I require even less food to feel full than when I don't exercise at all...

Thanks,

Adie

Replies

• mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I have that problem too... Im usually really super ravenous before working out and then after I get done, I have no desire to eat. Its weird. I usually save dinner till after my workout and force myself to make it. Usually once its cooking, I start to get hungry. Plus I know if I don't eat dinner, I will chew my arm off the next day. Sorry, this wasnt really helpful, but just know that I feel your pain! :)
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Eat things that are more calorie dense. Nuts and nut butters are a great way to get your calories in. If you are exercising a lot you need to eat. Otherwise you are likely to burn out and become fatigued. This is the fastest way to fall off the wagon.

I'm doing P90X and eating 1,800 calories per day. Sometimes I struggle to hit my calorie goal too, but I know if I don't I will struggle with my workouts.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too. I exercise right after work before I eat dinner, so I'm usually pretty hungry. My boyfriend cooks while I am working out so it's ready by the time I'm done, but I usually spend 15 minutes or so just kind of looking at my plate waiting to get hungry! Sometimes I just can't eat it and have to reheat it an hour later when I start getting hungry again. I don't know what causes exercise to suppress my appetite, but I feel ya!
  • Alovett1
    Alovett1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If I don't feel like eating, I drink a protein shake. I can sip on it and it doesn't feel like Im eating. Helps me with my chocolate cravings too!
  • mrso97
    mrso97 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    i do my heavy workout last...i eat my planned meals...walk my dogs..then get on the elliptical or run.....on my nights to work..i exercise early and by the time i get my evening break i can eat what i bring with me...my appetite fluctuates..but it is DEFINATELY hard to eat my 1200 calories...
  • mmckee10
    mmckee10 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    So lately I've been exercising as on 1200 calories I am like a food-obsessed zombie... However... as soon as I do exercise I find that I have no appetite. Which leaves me with extra calories to eat and no interest in eating them. Does anyone else have this? How do you solve it? I'm finding it hard to eat all of the calories as I require even less food to feel full than when I don't exercise at all...

Thanks,

Adie

I was doing the same thing and I got really burnt out after a month or two. ( i was tired, getting headaches, couldn't focus.) Workouts always completely destroyed my apatite but after a while I stopped losing weight. I was completely lost at this point. A MFP member advised me to check out this site "http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/" Now I'm eating 2046 calories a day and working out 3Xweek. Happy to say I have left the "food obsessed zombie" days behind. ^_^ Hope this helps ^_^ So far I'm having trouble eating all the calories but I have a feeling that when this is all over I'll be a thinner, healthier me. Good Luck on your journey! ^_^
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Eat your calories BEFORE you exercise. Problem solved.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite! More I exercise the more I want to eat.

How about a handful of nuts (brazils, almonds) or some dried fruit?
    I tend to favour carbs before exercise and protein afterwards.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Wish I had that problem :grumble:
  • adrianadciocan
    adrianadciocan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! :) I have to admit it felt like a bit of a luxury problem at first because I hadn't really changed to healthy eating habits so a glass or two of wine took care of the calorie excess easily. Now that I'm embracing the healthy lifestyle thing it's harder but I love the tips of eating nuts/nut butters or having a protein shake. :) I think that will really help. I also want to build up some strength exercises to help tone my muscles and loose skin (from last time I lost a significant amount of weight) so I'll need to be a bit more careful about what I put in my body. I'm very glad I'm not the only one and that it is just a case of finding clever way to eat those calories. :)