Weight Fluctuations

Options
Does anyone else have the problem of weight fluctuations, especially when you first start losing???

The first 3 pounds fell off easily because I had been eating too much, so that was "water weight." But I don't understand when I go up by .6 pounds on my third day, especially when both previous days I literally ate like a nutritionist (and I weigh EVERYTHING I eat by the gram) and burned off so many calories. I ate dinner a bit later, but that's it. I also didn't get as much sleep as normal. Ugh. Can those things really have such a sensitive impact on me?? Is anyone else like this??

I am especially sensitive to sleep. If I don't sleep enough, I don't lose weight. Period. Anyone else?

Replies

• bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Firstly you should weight in once a week, at the same time with the same clothes on or naked and before/after the same meal. This gives you a constant baseline to measure against.

You can poo 2lb so a fluctuation of 0.6 is nothing.

If you're female then certain times of the month can bloat you.

I weigh in Sunday mornings after a wee and before breakfast. I dont peek at the scales through the week because they can be misleading. If you're weighing every day and worrying about 0.6lbs then this weight loss thing will drive you crazy.
  • BunnyFit2989
    BunnyFit2989 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Haha yes, I keep the conditions the same for weigh-ins (time/clothing/etc) but you're right... I'll make myself crazy if I obsess over such a small amount. Good point on the time of the month, too.... hah I swear I'm so oblivious to mood/weight in association with Aunt Flo. Sometimes we CAN put the blame on mother nature, am I right ladies reading this??? :-P
    Thanks for the tips
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    .6 up is nothing... try on a 3lb overnight increase. :) Hormone fluctuations, too much sodium, food intollerances, and on and on can easily cause water retention and weight fluctuations. Personally, I still weigh myself every day and I log it every day. Because of this I can see the natural fluctuations and trend over time, and don't stress over the minor ups and downs. If I'd only weighed on the day I happened to be up, I'd be frustrated.
  • BunnyFit2989
    BunnyFit2989 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    ah yes, i have been through that before too. (3lbs overnight)
  • wolfenevo
    Options
    I agree (and do) always weigh myself in the nude right when I wake up everyday to keep things constant. Like others mentioned, sodium, water weight, BM and urine and even the weight of the food you eat before its digested adds pounds. I usually see about a 3-5 pound difference from the am to right before bed. Overnight your body digests the food and expels the water. So, if you ate a meal or extra fluids later in the night one night it may end up being a pound more than the previous day even though you didn't eat more, just digestive timing sometimes.

I tend to not weight myself any other time then first thing and try to stop eating after 7pm or 3-4 hours before I sleep. It's completely normal and makes sense biologically speaking. Experiment with it and you will figure out your bodies fluctuations.