Sleep deprivation

Options
I know sleep is super important in weight loss (and for general well-being) but sometimes it just isn't possible to get 7 or 8 hours a night. On those days following less-than-optimal amounts of sleep, how do you avoid reaching for sugary, calorie-laden foods? My willpower is borderline nonexistent when I'm overly fatigued and not able to take a nap or something to survive the day. Thoughts?

Replies

• thejess
    thejess Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i totally know the feeling! I'm operating on so little sleep lately I need to fix that!

I cope with it by upping my fluids and protein. I find I have less of an appetite when exhausted but i make bad food choices because when i get hungry I'm so desperate for food. Not eating enough or eating the wrong foods just makes me feel worse so I eat less but more frequently to keep the energy up. I also try a liquid ginseng and unsweetened green tea lemonades for an extra boost if i need it. (unsweetened green tea lemonade's from starbucks are my secret weapon when I'm at work and tried)
  • robynrae_1
    robynrae_1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I work thrid shift so this is a constant problem for me. I have been eating baby carrots late in the day/night, I think the high fiber keeps me feeling full. there is also a natural sweatness from the carrots. I also try and eat frequent small meals to help keep my blood sugar more stable.
  • CINDYRN33
    CINDYRN33 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    all of the above then if really desperate grab an atomic fireball (20 calories) and last for half hour.