P90X and Insanity

jacobsigmon
jacobsigmon Posts: 1
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I just started posting on myfitnesspal and have a question about logging in excercises when completing a P90X or Insanity workout. I go back and forth and do both, but dont know an accurate count of calories or how to log it into this site. Any help?

Replies

• FitChickBritt
    FitChickBritt Posts: 161 Member
    I"m not sure about how to log the calories because I've never done either program, but I am wondering of these 2 programs which do you prefer? I've been considering doing one of them and have good things about both. What are the pros and cons of each?
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    I haven't done Insanity before, but I've done the P90X workouts and I think I would probably log the weight lifting workouts as circuit training because you go pretty quickly through the exercises and I'm pretty sure that my heart rate was up the entire time. The plyometrics, cardio and that other one (kenpo?) could probably be logged as aerobics of different types (I just did the plyometrics the other day and logged it as high impact aerobics). But maybe other uses have other ideas.

Edit to add that wearing a heart rate monitor is going to give you the best estimation of how much you are burning while doing these.
  • VickieMW
    VickieMW Posts: 285 Member
    I do a lot of exercizes that are not on "The lists" like doing a "Spin" class (riding a bike in class with an instructor) and Elliptical Machines have so many settings like: HIls, random or arms workout. So I make up my own settings and always wear a Heart Rate Monitor to accurately put in calories burned.

It's very easy to make this your own kinds of workout!

Congrats on improving yourself! Keep it up! Blessings Vickie:smile:
  • Get a heart rate monitor, I have been using one for a few weeks and it works great. You can add P90X as cardio and then plug in your cals burned. I think you'll be surprised on how many you burn. I even use mine while playing basketball.
  • marksnet
    marksnet Posts: 11
    Im doing P90X as well Day 18 anyone wants to network or add me as a buddy please do so! i am on beachbody.com also and my username is the same as on here!!

Anyone got the formula handy on heart rates and calories burned per minute??????
  • seemyabs
    seemyabs Posts: 6 Member
    I'm doing P90X and training for a 10K, so I'm essentially doing doubles. I really don't have an answer for you regarding logging exercise, as I've been wondering the same thing!

On another note, I know when doing a strenghtening program like P90X, you can't rely on the scale as your only gauge of progress, but it is still so freaking frustrating to be doing everything right -- right down to measuring everything that goes in your mouth and working out intensely 2x a day -- and still only lose .2 pound last week! :noway:
  • marksnet
    marksnet Posts: 11
    yeah im ending week 3 with only 3 Lbs lost total.. Im pretty disappointed in this but my clothes are loosening!!
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    I agree with BGriffin....get a heart rate monitor. That's your best bet!
  • I'm not doing p90x but I am doing p90 which is a step down. BUT it still kicks butt!!!!! I do wear my HRM and when I do abs and carido I usually burn about 600 calories!!!! The circut I usually burn around 400. But you do need a HRM because it gives you accurate calories burned. Good Luck!!!!
  • photoman67
    photoman67 Posts: 116 Member
    Try logging it under circuit training.
  • Porsha1Love
    Porsha1Love Posts: 18 Member
    insanity is circuit training, look circuit training up
  • It's important to know that when doing something like P90X, you might not shed the pounds as fast as you might want. Because of all the weight training, muscle will be keeping the weight loss down on the scale. But just watch the inches! That is where the results are most noticeable!
  • tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    I do P90x, and have done a few of the insanity workouts as well. The program tells you to budget 600 cals for p90x, though I personally do not see that high of a burn on most of them. Most of the strength dvds are around 375 for me, as well as cardio x. Yoga only burns about 300. The only ones with high results around 580-620 were plyo and kenpo. Ab ripper burns 100-150 depending on how quickly I go through the exercises. For Insanity, I was between 400 and 500, though I have not done any of the max workouts.

These I tracked on my Bodybugg. But, I am about 175-180 pounds, and female. I work out pretty hard. Your level of intensity and weight could have a very dramatic impact on your actual burn. Hope that's helpful. To be honest, I was a little disappointed at the calorie burn for these workouts. I had expected them to be higher. However, I think the strength and cardio benefits I have seen from the programs make them worthwhile. :)
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    I"m not sure about how to log the calories because I've never done either program, but I am wondering of these 2 programs which do you prefer? I've been considering doing one of them and have good things about both. What are the pros and cons of each?

I've done both programs & a heartrate monitor is the way to go. Calories burned can change each time you do the workout based on effort, etc.

Insanity & p90x are different types of programs. Insanity is an endurance program (HIIT), p90x is an all-around fitness (it has yoga, strength, kenpo, stretching, etc.) program.

The cons for each for me: p90x workouts are long & w/Insanity the workouts can be hard on the body & I had a slight dread factor doing that same type workout over & over again. But the pros are almost too many to mention, especially w/p90x (weight loss, body fat % drop, toned body, dramatic increase in strength....)
This discussion has been closed.