Healthy Thanksgiving recipes-

Options
Aross83
Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
Hi All,
Just curious what Healthy Thanksgiving dishes you are planning on cooking?

i am going to do some mashed Parsnips. some other veggies.. i was thinking of making a healthy roll or biscuit to go with it..

please share your meal plan and if anyone has any healthy roll or biscuit recipes i would love to see them...

Replies

• Aross83
    Options
    well here is what i have found so far...

I am going to make a Brown Rice Stuffing-
    with chorizo
    onions
    celery
    garlic carrots
    whole wheat bread crumbs
    chicken stock....
  • Aross83
    Options
    found this at Skinnytaste.com

Sauteed Brussel Sprouts with pancetta

Sauteed-Brussels-Sprouts-with-Pancetta.jpg

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/11/sauteed-brussels-sprouts-with-pancetta.html
  • Nothing3
    Nothing3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You can always make a Tofurkey. :laugh: No, but seriously, i didn't like it at first but after fixing it up a bit with spices and homemade gravy...it grew on me. Now its my Thanksgiving dish every year. You can find it at Wholefoods. :tongue:
  • Aross83
    Options
    You can always make a Tofurkey. :laugh: No, but seriously, i didn't like it at first but after fixing it up a bit with spices and homemade gravy...it grew on me. Now its my Thanksgiving dish every year. You can find it at Wholefoods. :tongue:

Haha i could but i dont think i could handle that.. I want my Turkey!!! i have been thinking of going back to veing a Vegetarian again..
    Maybe i will use the soy chorizo in the Brown Rice Stuffing.. but i just read an article that any soy products you buy are GMO.. unless they are organic or otherwise state no GMO's.. so i really dont want to be eating soy products really..
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I'm just watching the portion sizes of sauces, butter, gravy, carbs and sweets. Enjoy in moderation. It a holiday. Enjoy yourself.
  • njgirl50
    njgirl50 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I try to look at it as one meal, luckily we go to my parents so I don't have leftovers. In the past I try to eat lightly - eggs & whole wheat toast for breakfast, a salad or soup for lunch, get in some exercise & then eat dinner. At dinner I will bring a salad and then take a small portion of the foods I love, but not necessarily diet friendly.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I am looking for a good tasting very low sugar Pecan Pie recipe. I see many of them using splenda, but not sure how they would taste or bake up. If anyone has successfully made one, please share!
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options

with chorizo
    onions
    celery
    garlic carrots
    whole wheat bread crumbs
    chicken stock....

Is there an actual recipe? that sounds good.
  • Aross83
    Options

with chorizo
    onions
    celery
    garlic carrots
    whole wheat bread crumbs
    chicken stock....

-No i just saw a couple brown rice stuffing recipes online and i decided i would wing my own version with things i like.
    i would say around 1 cup rice- 1 cup- whole wheat breadcrumbs-1- 2 chorizo sausage links- an onion- 2- garlic cloves- 2 stalks celery. i can chicken stock.. i am going to add some random spices as well.. maybe some cumin and cilantro
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I made this crustless pumpkin pie last weekend and it is to die for!!! It was literally gone in days. With cool whip you do not even miss the crust and it is less than 70 calories per square. I made squares in an 8x8 pan. Her site has the nutritional info.

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/11/08/crustless-pumpkin-pie/
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    since i do not eat meat i was thinking making a lentil loaf or chickpea cutlets as the main dish, then having a type of stuffing, maybe sweet potatos instead of regular mashed potatos, and a quinoa dish with lots of veggies in it (not sure what those veggies are going to be yet lol). that brown rice stuffing sounds amazing, with vegetable stock instead. is there a recipe anywhere? i will prolly google it to find out lol
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options

with chorizo
    onions
    celery
    garlic carrots
    whole wheat bread crumbs
    chicken stock....

-No i just saw a couple brown rice stuffing recipes online and i decided i would wing my own version with things i like.
    i would say around 1 cup rice- 1 cup- whole wheat breadcrumbs-1- 2 chorizo sausage links- an onion- 2- garlic cloves- 2 stalks celery. i can chicken stock.. i am going to add some random spices as well.. maybe some cumin and cilantro

that sounds good, i also found this on a website that for for a vegan tofurkey and stuffing recipe (this is for the stuffing)
    •2 tablespoons olive oil
    •3 medium shallots, small dice
    •2 medium celery stalks, small dice
    •1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
    •3/4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh sage leaves
    •Kosher salt
    •Freshly ground black pepper
    •12 ounces cremini mushrooms, stems trimmed, halved if large, and sliced 1/4-inch thick
    •3/4 cup long-grain brown rice
    •1 cup mushroom broth
    •1/2 cup water
    •1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
    •1 teaspoon red wine vinegar

Place oil in a medium saucepan with a tightfitting lid and set over medium heat. When it shimmers, add shallots, celery, thyme, and sage, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until shallots just begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes more.
    Add brown rice and stir to evenly combine. Add broth and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until rice is tender, about 50 minutes. (If the rice has not absorbed all of the liquid, continue to cook, uncovered, until the liquid is absorbed, then replace the lid.) Remove from heat and let sit, covered, for about 10 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork. Stir in parsley and vinegar. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed
  • handerson2005
    handerson2005 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com has a bunch of Thanksgiving oriented recipes. I've done the brussel sprouts one that was posted here before and we really liked it. I've also made the Cranberry-Pineapple sauce, mashed potatoes, sweet potato brûlée, and a few others. I've only made 2 things from her site that I wasn't a fan of and it was probably my fault (one was too dry, the other the cookies didn't hold their shape). Definitely give her site a try if you're looking for healthier recipes.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    since i do not eat meat i was thinking making a lentil loaf or chickpea cutlets as the main dish, then having a type of stuffing, maybe sweet potatos instead of regular mashed potatos, and a quinoa dish with lots of veggies in it (not sure what those veggies are going to be yet lol). that brown rice stuffing sounds amazing, with vegetable stock instead. is there a recipe anywhere? i will prolly google it to find out lol

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/11/this-savory-quinoa-stuffing-is.html#more

I found this quinoa stuffing recipe on skinnytaste.com today. It looks really good and is gluten free and easily vegetarian if you use veggie broth instead of chicken broth. I am going to try it out, as I have a big bag of Quinoa that I need to figure out what to do with!
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    Low Carb Pecan Pie recipe! I found one online that got great reviews.

http://www.food.com/recipe/low-carb-pecan-pie-119953/review
  • Aross83
    Options

with chorizo
    onions
    celery
    garlic carrots
    whole wheat bread crumbs
    chicken stock....

that sounds good, i also found this on a website that for for a vegan tofurkey and stuffing recipe (this is for the stuffing)
    •2 tablespoons olive oil
    •3 medium shallots, small dice
    •2 medium celery stalks, small dice
    •1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
    •3/4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh sage leaves
    •Kosher salt
    •Freshly ground black pepper
    •12 ounces cremini mushrooms, stems trimmed, halved if large, and sliced 1/4-inch thick
    •3/4 cup long-grain brown rice
    •1 cup mushroom broth
    •1/2 cup water
    •1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
    •1 teaspoon red wine vinegar

Place oil in a medium saucepan with a tightfitting lid and set over medium heat. When it shimmers, add shallots, celery, thyme, and sage, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until shallots just begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes more.
    Add brown rice and stir to evenly combine. Add broth and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until rice is tender, about 50 minutes. (If the rice has not absorbed all of the liquid, continue to cook, uncovered, until the liquid is absorbed, then replace the lid.) Remove from heat and let sit, covered, for about 10 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork. Stir in parsley and vinegar. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed

-that recipe looks very similar to the one i saw online.. i always look up recipes and then change them to my liking.. cause i can be very picky!
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I work that day... and, afterwards, me and my mom are heading to my uncle's house. My aunt is cooking... and I'm not bringing anything. I'm not sure if there will be anything healthy at my family's house.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

with chorizo
    onions
    celery
    garlic carrots
    whole wheat bread crumbs
    chicken stock....

YUM!!!! That sounds so good.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Fortunately I'm not cooking this year but you could always roast butternut squash (and season it as you like--salt and pepper, brown sugar, a drizzle of maple syrup, etc...) and have that instead of a potato dish. Squash has around half the calories of sweet potatoes per serving. And it's also VERY good for you and very pretty on a Thanksgiving table.