Pregnancy and maintaining my journey

Options
Well everyone I am 14wks preggo. When I first found out I took that as the green light to eat what I want and the laziness kicked in. I went from 227 to 242 before I found out I was pregnant(engagement weight). Yea got to comfy with the hubster. Anyhow I went from 242 to 258 in 10wks. That is super scary. That's almost to my starting weight 274. I have been exercising lately and somewhat watching what I eat. I am happy to say I am now down to 253. I want to continue and possible lose 5-8 more pounds during this pregnancy(dr said it's possible). I just need advice and support. Possible someone who has been through this. Help people help. Hope you can follow the story line because I was all over the place sorry.

Replies

• chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    Hey Lady!
    Congrats on being pregnant! I know the feeling of using pregnancy as a pass...but you just have to remember that really, you ACTUALLY dont need ANY extra calories the first trimester, 300 in the 2nd and 450 in the 3rd.. You aren't eating for 2 so as long as you can curb that mentality, you'll do just fine. Being pregnant is about feeding that baby healthy nutrients so it can grow big and strong....so make that your focus! Light exercise is also great to get the blood flowing....Also I find people make it their goal to make pregnant people fat! hahaha.....so don't let people cradle you into eating crap just because your pregnant...it's your body, you control what goes in! Of course a treat every now and then is no big deal.....and lastly I would just say once you give birth...
    Baby: 8 pounds
    Placenta: 2-3 pounds
    Amniotic fluid: 2-3 pounds
    Breast tissue: 2-3 pounds
    Blood supply: 4 pounds
    Stored fat for delivery and breastfeeding: 5-9 pounds
    Larger uterus: 2-5 pounds
    Total 25-35 lbs

So anything over that is going to be all on you to lose....keep that in perspective and ENJOY being pregnant!!!!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor about setting up an appointment with a dietician. This should be covered, and it'll help a lot.

I've been using MFP to track my pregnancy intake as well, and I've gained about 14 lbs in 26 weeks which is a healthy gain for my starting weight. DO NOT undereat during this time. Your baby needs nutrition. It's important to get enough folic acid, iron, and calcium, so try to make sure you're at least eating at maintenance level and getting enough of these micronutrients. Remember, you can always lose that weight after your baby comes.
  • CINDYRN33
    CINDYRN33 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I personally do not think that when you are pregnant that you should be trying to lose weight. I am glad you are under the care of a doctor maybe he could refer you to a dietrician. I can see trying to keep weight gain under control but I just dont think now is the time to lose. IMO.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I agree that some people see a pregnant women and immediately want to feed her.lol.especially during the holidays. I was pregnant twice through the holidays and everyone wanted to give me all kinds of baked goods. I did not watch what I ate the first time around and gained 70lbs. I was careful with the last 3. Did I gain? yep, but nothing like the time I ate everything in site!! I would talk to your Dr like Pregosaurus Rex suggested. My 2 sister in laws and I share a ob/gyn and he put one of them on a modified version of the south beach diet, her starting pregnancy weight was around 240. By following the diet he set up for her she was able to lose some weight while pregnant. It helped her to get off the blood pressure meds she had started to take during the 2nd trimester and eased her back pain.

Congrats on your little one!!