Supplement Help!

Options
hey guys! I am looking for some comments on taking everyday supplements like Tonalin CLA, multi's, omega 3's etc. I don't know much about it but need a way to boost my metabolism! Let me know if you can help me!

Replies

• careycm616
    Options
    Every morning before eating, I take;
    2 pills of green tea extract (500mg each) for boosting metabolism
    3 pills of Fish Oil (650mg of EPA, 450mg DHA) for joint and skin improvements. You want to have no more than 3g of fish oil a day, and depending on the Brand you get, you may need to take more pills. Just look at the dosage of EPA and DHA (ex, 650mg EPA + 450mg DHA= 1.1g of Omega 3's) in each pill and add that up to 3g.
    3 pills of Calcium plus Magnesium (1000mg calcium, 500mg magnesium), for bone support for weight lifting
    1 female multivitam for additional nutrients, like Zinc and Iron I might not get through my food.

Initially, I took 1 green tea extract a day, and that worked for a bit, but then boosted it to 2, and I don't get tired throughout the day and my metabolism has gone up. I've read some people take GTE 3 times a day, 2 pills each time, but I think that would be a bit much for me. Sometimes I just make some green tea at night for a little boost if I feel like I ate too much that day.
    Hope that helps!
  • Yolanda4160
    Yolanda4160 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in taking a lot of pill based vitamins (simply bc it's hard on your digestive system- I would rather receive it in its natural form- food), but I do take a Fish Oil and a B6 vitamin daily.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I'm not really on the "boost my metabolism with pills" bandwagon, but the supps I take are:

Optimum Nutrition Fish Oil (Nordic Naturals are also good) - 4/day; 2 in morning, 2 at dinner
    Optimum Nutrition Opti-Woman (women's multi-vitamin) - 2/day
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard whey protein - 2 scoops/day
    C4 pre-workout - 1.5 scoops/day

In all honesty, if you are looking to boost your metabolism, I suggest weight training. The more muscle you have on your body the more calories your body burns.

I have taken CLA (tonalin and Optimum Nutrition) before and didn't see any results. Haven't really seen anyone else get results either.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    hey guys! I am looking for some comments on taking everyday supplements like Tonalin CLA, multi's, omega 3's etc. I don't know much about it but need a way to boost my metabolism! Let me know if you can help me!

First get your diet and exercise routine on point, then maybe you can worry about supplements. CLA is pretty much worthless, 2-3g of EPA+DHA is sufficient and multis aren't really needed provided a varied diet of mostly whole foods
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin from GNC (recommended is 2, I take 1) to make up for low veggie count days. I also take iron because I'm borderline anemic. I would evaluate what's missing in your diet first and then figure out what you might benefit from taking. I found that I often fall short on iron, vitamin A and calcium as well as some more minor vitamins so I went for the iron and half a multi vitamin.

ETA: If you're missing things from your diet that you could easily and realistically get just by changing up your diet, I'd go with that. I'd much rather eat a healthier and more varied diet than get it in pill form but if you know you really won't get it, go for the supplement.
  • Jessicao33
    Jessicao33 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    What fish oil is good. I took some and always burped it up
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Moving more is the best way to boost your metabolism.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    What fish oil is good. I took some and always burped it up

I've tried Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega (strawberry) and Optimum Nutrition's fish oil. Never had burps with either
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Supplements can get very expensive for nothing. Talk to your doctor about extra vitamins. My doctor does blood test for mine every six months. What people don't understand is taking too much can be more harmful than not enough. Research using reliable sources not companies that want to sell you thier product. The best way to raise your metabolism is to exercise. You don't have to have a gym. There are plenty of web sites and utube videos on exercise outside of the gym.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options

Moving more is the best way to boost your metabolism.

yes
  • xoxaidaxox
    Options
    I keep hearingabout CLA i guess cuz my sister in law does herbal magic, it works for her. But she takes other stuff as well and basically poops out everything.
  • itspat25
    Options
    So I am seeing the consensus as Omega 3's are good, CLA is pretty much useless, GTE helps energy, and multi-vitamins are fine. Are they are negatives to taking GTE, Flaxseed oil, and a multi every day? (Other than Money)
  • tcrotsley
    tcrotsley Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you put your fish oil in the freezer then you shouldn't have that problem. A little tricked I learned from my sister inlaw! ;-)
  • racheltberger
    Options
    I take omegaplex by advocare. Dr. Oz says its the best on the market. I dont have burp like some of you are saying.
  • Madelinew22
    Options
    i take 5-htp but its for mood enhancment not metablolism