Kale recipes please!!!

Options
A friend just brought me tons of it. I know I can make kale chips, but does anyone have any other good recipes I can use it for??

Replies

• axelorate
    axelorate Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I like putting it in a minestrone/ribollita-type soup. It holds up much better than spinach.
  • CrazyCatLadylovescats
    Options
    Mmm, kale. I wish mine in my garden was not grossly covered with aphids. Anyhow, before it got cold and aphids moved in I was eating it about every meal. Finely chopped in salads, used it in place of cabbage or lettuce in tacos. I made quiche with kale (minus the crust to save calories.) Fish and chicken baked on top of a big bed of kale is really great - I seasoned with some seasoned salt before putting the meat on top. I put it in curry, in stir fry, and Thia type of curried soups. It is great in scrabbled eggs. In place of cabbage in Chinese Meatballs. Creamed.
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I bought this seasoning packet in the grocery store for kale, collairds, etc. You take a bag of greens, boil them in just a cup of water, add a can of diced tomatoe (optional), and the seasoning. The seasoning added that smokey flavor without adding the bacon and fat. And, it was GREAT. Don't forget the hot sauce.
  • mrscarrey
    mrscarrey Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I saute it in coconut oil.
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    There are a number of really good recipes at eatingwell (dot) com. Just go there and search kale. I've done one with gnocchi, one with chickpeas and indian spices, all sorts of ways. Basically, you can sub it for any green you like; collards, spinach, turnip or beet greens, etc.

Barb
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I stir fry it with a bit of sesame oil, garlic, vinegar, crushed hot pepper, and soy sauce.
  • smw1023
    smw1023 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    my favorite is to saute in olive oil with lots of fresh garlic, ground sea salt and pepper--I sprinkle with red wine vinegar when it is on my plate--YUM!
  • JessicaBR0
    JessicaBR0 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Her recipes are all delicious and low cal. http://www.skinnytaste.com/search?q=kale
    I'm making the turkey sausage and kale soup later this week.
  • thejess
    thejess Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    All summer I made kale smoothies for breakfast and it was fabulous!

My favourite was the kale/orange-creamsicle i made which was basically almond milk, plain yogurt, one orange, half apple, vanilla extract, and as much kale that could fit in the blender. I made it with spinach as well and that tasted great.

Really ripe bananas cover up the kale taste pretty good too.

i :heart: my vitamix
  • smelons
    smelons Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Make Caldo Verde: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caldo_verde.

Other than that, stir-fried with soy sauce, chilli and sesame oil is delicious.
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I used to make kale and zitti. You can also put it in soups.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I've been making it this way:

Heat up a pan, frying pan or cast iron...drizzle some olive oil in it...dump chopped kale when its hot....stir until slightly cooked, add salt and pepper and a tiny bit of onion powder...stir fry until cooked or crispy whatever you choose....

Done! and yummy!
  • Anniel88
    Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Not sure what type of eating plan you follow, so this might be too much for you, but I loooove kale with cream and bacon. It's at least something different to try if it fits in your eating plan.

1) Cook bacon. Drain and set aside.
    2) Saute onions and garlic in olive oil or butter.
    3) Add Kale and chicken stock or water. Cover and cook. (about a half a cup or so to cook it)
    4) Add heavy cream (around 1/4 cup). You'll cook this until some of the liquid has evaporated so it isn't soupy.
    5) Add bacon, season, and serve - YUMMY
  • MidWestMissy
    MidWestMissy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Someone already mentioned the skinnytaste website. But I found this recipe the other day. I am making it this weekend.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/11/mushroom-kale-lasagna-rolls.html
  • goddessofsewing
    goddessofsewing Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    All summer I made kale smoothies for breakfast and it was fabulous!

My favourite was the kale/orange-creamsicle i made which was basically almond milk, plain yogurt, one orange, half apple, vanilla extract, and as much kale that could fit in the blender. I made it with spinach as well and that tasted great.

Really ripe bananas cover up the kale taste pretty good too.

i :heart: my vitamix

I also like it with 1 c. chocolate almond milk, 1/2 c. vanilla greek yogurt, 1/2 T. peanut butter, plenty of kale, and a frozen ripe banana. It makes my morning happy.
  • djehaus
    Options
    kale is great made with coconut oil and some pine nuts on top.
  • wdamisch
    wdamisch Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I bought this seasoning packet in the grocery store for kale, collairds, etc. You take a bag of greens, boil them in just a cup of water, add a can of diced tomatoe (optional), and the seasoning. The seasoning added that smokey flavor without adding the bacon and fat. And, it was GREAT. Don't forget the hot sauce.

Wondering about the seasoning packet...can you tell me any more about it? What grocery store, what brand was it?
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I boil it till its tender then throw in frying pan with olive oil and garlic. I also like kale and white bean soup.