First run - how to stop the muscle pain?!!

Options
I've been swimming 3 or 4 times a week for the last 2 months but have been wanting to branch out a little and start jogging, especially since I won't have access to the pool for a month over Christmas. I'd never been to a gym before but I manned up and went in there on Monday and decided to do a little treadmill before a shorter swim.

I didn't overdo it - mainly fast walking (4mph) and some jogging (5.5mph) for about 30 minutes, then I swam and I was fine.

Later on in the evening my legs started to stiffen and tighten and by yesterday they were SORE. Every time I stop moving for a few minutes they stiffen straight up (I'm a student so I HAVE to be still!). I thought they might have gotten a little better by today but it seems even worse - to the point that I didn't bother getting up early enough to go for a swim today.

The pain today is all down the muscles in the back of my lower legs, and then my ankles have started stiffening this morning too.

What can I do to relieve the pain? I did a little search and noticed a lot of people suggesting warm baths - unfortunately I don't have access to a bath at all so that option is out. I work 2 hours per day at a library which involves walking around, standing, bending constantly which isn't so easy at the moment!

Also, what can I do to minimise the pain next time I try to jog? I'm a heavy girl and I understand my body is trying to change but is there something I can do pre-run or post-run? Or even during the run? I used to wear supports on my ankles because of an old injury - would elastic tube bandages provide more support to my legs / ankles?

Thanks for any help!

Replies

• emzilee
    emzilee Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • dreilingda
    dreilingda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If it's just muscle soreness, you might just try stetching and walking some to recover. You can also try a foam roller; these things can really help to loosen your muscles (although it can be a bit painful).

Wait to run again until the pain gets mostly better and don't injure yourself.
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you over did it; even though you said you didn't. 30 minutes on the treadmill is a long time when you've never done it before! I would suggest taking a pain reliever and give yourself a good rub down (its better if someone else does it, but if that's not an option, you can do it yourself). Once the pain reliever kicks in, take a short walk. It will help loosen the muscles, believe it or not. Since you don't have access to a warm bath, maybe try a heating pad; but no longer than 30 minutes at a time.

Good luck & next tim etake it a little slower on that treadmill till you're used to it.
  • wingshooter2004
    Options
    A high protein diet, I mean about twice what your MFP calculator tells you to eat in protein, will help over the long haul. Eat or drink some highly digestable form or protein 20 minutes after your workout. I also take mineral suplements. (ZMA and Tangy Tangerine) I definately notice more soreness and more recovery time if I am not eating a lot of protein and taking supplements. Your results may be different.

Muscle soreness is usually worse the second day after. Assuming simple muscle soreness is what you are having, the best treatment that I know of is to go on a nice slow paced moderate distance recovery run. It will work out the soreness.

In the Marines they used to tell us that "Pain is just weakness leaving your body." Usually that is the case when you are young. Not so much when you get older. LOL
  • chilly1979
    chilly1979 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You get this way the first time you do a new thing. It will get less and less each time. Unless you wait forever to do it again. You will be fine.
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    sore muscles, especially when starting are perfectly normal. Take a pain reliever if it's really bad, hot baths with epsom salts also help to relieve the muscle pain. The second day is usually worse than the first after a new workout, so just stick it through, tomorrow you'll probably feel better!
  • AliceMpls
    Options
    ^^^ This! Plus make sure you drink a lot of water!
  • kagmiller
    kagmiller Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    To prevent it from happening again, add strength training into your workouts. Lots of people I know find they are better at running after doing a couple of Chalene Johnson's workouts...I'm doing Chalean extreme right now, which is strength training based and like it and have heard great things about her other program TurboFire, which is a little more fun and cardio based. Can't speak for other programs, since I'm only really familiar with these two, but I've heard of good results. Really though, any strength training and muscle endurance training for the legs and calves are going to be pretty key for running without pain.

Also, check your shoes! If you are running in old sneakers, get new and supportive ones with your particular stride in mind...running/jogging puts tremendous pressure on muscles and joints...help them out with the right footwear. :)
  • emzilee
    emzilee Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your advice, everyone.

I do walk a lot in addition to swimming, and have occasionally jogged (though not very far!). Maybe I just need to man up a little!

Hopefully I'll be able to hit the pool again tomorrow, and maybe the treadmill again on Friday or Saturday.