Trainer girl at the gym invited me to lifting class.

Options
Which is super cool - right?! They're trying to build a diverse audience for a free weight program at my local gym. She gave me an info sheet and started in about how women are typically intimidated by the freeweight (truth). I asked, "So, are we gonna lift heavy, then? I've done a couple of lifting programs and would love to be part of the class startup."

She said, "Well, women won't bulk up by lifting heavy, but no, we're going to focus on toning and building lean muscle." Like, I think she was ready to combat my "I don't wanna be bulky" complaints without even hearing what I said.

Bless her heart.

Anyway, I am excited to go to a group free weights session or two. Might get back in the swing of lifting, because I haven't been doing much (read: any).

Replies

• _skittybang
    _skittybang Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Dude, that's awesome! I wish people would talk to me at the gym.

Also awesome about the lifting class!!!! :bigsmile:
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    haha to her comment combatting bulking - Im working with a trainer and when he told me the plan he started by saying..
    "some women think lifting heavy will bulk them up" They must get so much of that

Thats super cool about a free weight program! have fun - Im loving it!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    That's awesome even if they're lifting the pink things :) It'll get ya back in there, and sounds like fun!!!
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    That is hecka cool!!! I got a trainer to actually read NROLFW - she was telling me it was eye opening.

WTG! That is awesome
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    My sister ran into the same thing. The trainer had some shpell memorized about not-bulking and Rebekah was just like "Yeah, I know.... Yeah, I know.... Yeah, I squat 100+ pounds, I know already lady!"
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Free help is great. And you can take from it what works, and build on the rest. Awesome!
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    W
    She said, "Well, women won't bulk up by lifting heavy, but no, we're going to focus on toning and building lean muscle."

Did you look at her and say "toning?" and "what exactly is "lean" muscle"???

*facepalm*

But this is awesome nonetheless - get your *kitten* in there and do the damn thing!
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    gaining lean muscle isn't "easy" even if you know what you're doing with illegal drugs...

and it sure as hell ain't easy natural (added as I have NO experience with unnatural mass gains)
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Ohhh, yes! Get in there, so Rae and I don't bore you to tears about our lifting sessions...
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    "All kinds of Gains"
  • dawnhart77
    dawnhart77 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    That's cool! I love lifting classes. But my rec center offers them during the day to all those skinny *****es that stay at home in Highlands Ranch. I probably wouldn't fit in. (LOL). Anyway, good for you!! And I'm sure you will kick some *kitten*!
  • ecoastie
    Options
    I've been doing Body Pump for about 6 months now, and I love it! I am stronger, and I can see a little definition. Since I eat at a deficit--still trying to lose fat--I'm not going to gain muscle. However, I want to maintain what I have. I know that strength training helps prevent bone loss, too. What really motivated me was concern that I would become "skinny fat" as I lost weight. I had never done much besides spend countless hours on the treadmill, and some knee & hip problems were begining to interfere with that. Body Pump has been a great alternative. The one drawback is that FitBit does not register calories burn very well since I'm not really moving. That's OK, though: My body knows what I am doing for it.