Toes numb when running

Options
I got a new pair of shoes a few days ago and I used them for the first time tonight. While running my toes became very numb, something I hardly ever experienced with my other shoes (granted they were 2.5 years old) so my question is, any suggestions for me?

Would it help to tie them differently or shoudl I just give it time for my shoes to wear in? Any suggestions are great! Thanks!

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Mine was a tying issue. Where we tie our shoes is often over a nerve/pressure point in our foot. Try loosening up your laces a bit and see if it helps. Even when I switched to Vibrams (velcro strap, no laces), I still got the problem sometimes if I strapped in too tight.
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Try relacing your shoes by skipping one set of eyelets over the top of your arch. See if that helps.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I used to get this also - no idea why. Eventually I got decent running shoes and it didn't happen anymore.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I suffer from Raynauds, so numb toes it pretty common for me. If you don't have circulation issues, try lacing your shoes looser. Make sure your socks are not being pressed into your ankles; this too can cut off circulation.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It's either about the width/shape of the shoes - which you can't change, or the way you are tying them. I find that my current shoes need to be tied quite loosely otherwise they are really uncomfortable. I suggest you google " running shoe lace tying options" and you should get some good ideas.
    Changing sock sometimes helps too.
  • tonightokayalright
    tonightokayalright Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem, and it went away the longer I ran in the shoes. Probably just my feet getting used to altered gait.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I actually got this before i switched up shoes.. as i started losing weight, i lost it in my feet.. and my shoes were too loose! Did you buy the same size? Maybe they are slightly too big? Go by a GOOD shoe store & get fitted.. See what they say. It doesnt cost anything, and sure wont hurt!

Also, while you are out.. mention it to your doctor.. while this may mean nothing, it would mean something about circulation. Doesnt hurt to mention it. :smile:

Goood luck & Happy Running!
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I get this while on the elliptical! So, maybe I'm not crazy! LOL I didn't know how to explain it so I never did. I'm thinking for me it's about that nerve at the top of the arch of my foot....good luck!
  • dellalyn
    Options
    This happened to me too. I agree with above posters - I was tying my shoes too tight. My shoes were also too narrow for me. I even went to a place that did the computer measurements of my foot and they sold me the wrong shoe! (sheesh!)
    i got new shoes that are "wide" and tie less tight and it doesn't happen any more.
  • 2nevergiveup
    Options
    possibly the laces are done up too tight or the shoe is not wide enough for your foot
  • kinkofit
    kinkofit Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Could also be that your shoes seem to fit when you put them on, but .... As we run, our feet swell. Running shoes should be laced properly (not too tight) and they should be a 1/2 size larger then a walking shoe. Look up this info on any avid runners site. I clock in approximately 40 miles per week and have done so for over 6-years. Have not had the numbing once I handled the lacing and size issue. Good luck and have fun out there!
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Running shoes should be a half size to a full size (preferable) bigger than your normal shoe size.. I always suggest going to an actual running store to get a good fit for your running shoe for your weight, gait and running style. Its worth the money you may spend there, over say, a ****s or Sports Authority, to get the right fit running shoe! Your feet are WAY too important to mess them up with the wrong fit shoe! its possible you tied your shoes too tight, especially above the arch area and "flexion" area? But iI suspect the culprit is the wrong size shoe. ????????????????????????????
  • rachraw
    Options
    I always do a half a size larger for gym shoes. I get the numbing/ tingling too. I usually will just stop and do same ankle circles to maitain circulation. Also stretching before hand esp the calves and ankles is super helpful.
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    as previous posters have commented: try lacing your shoes differently. check out this link: http://katierunsthis.com/2011/10/04/running-shoe-lacing-techniques/ for me the problem:high instep seemed to help the numb toe issue. another thing that helps me is to REALLY stretch my calves (and Achilles's tendon) before running, I stand on a step facing up and let both ankles drop slowly below floor level until i feel tension (the stretch should not be painful but you should feel it) then hold my ankles at that angle for about 45 seconds. when i finish running i repeat this stretch. hope that helps and that your feet regain their feeling whilst running!
  • Midnigh
    Midnigh Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Same here...it happens when I'm on the eliptical. I noticed if I pushed with the heel of my foot rather than the balls of my feet, it doesn't happen as much. But I'm going to loose laces and see if that helps too.
  • Midnigh
    Options
    I think I'll try arch supports too....
  • Midnigh
    Options
    as previous posters have commented: try lacing your shoes differently. check out this link: http://katierunsthis.com/2011/10/04/running-shoe-lacing-techniques/ for me the problem:high instep seemed to help the numb toe issue. another thing that helps me is to REALLY stretch my calves (and Achilles's tendon) before running, I stand on a step facing up and let both ankles drop slowly below floor level until i feel tension (the stretch should not be painful but you should feel it) then hold my ankles at that angle for about 45 seconds. when i finish running i repeat this stretch. hope that helps and that your feet regain their feeling whilst running!

TESTING TESTING: I'm just trying to figure out how to reply directly to someones else's post.....
  • starspeckled
    starspeckled Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the answers, and thanks to the OP for the question! I get the same thing when jogging or using the elliptical, I just thought it was something I had to deal with. Good to know it's not just me and I have a few things to try.
  • Mceastes
    Mceastes Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem, even with just a 2 mile run, until a running coach told me to buy my running shoes a half size bigger than regular shoes. Since I've been doing that, I've never once had it happen again and I run really long distances (marathon training). But, in addition to that, also make sure you don't tie laces too tight. I've never had numb toes from tight laces though, just shoe size, but still it's good advice.
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Happened to me I have a wide foot so had to buy wide running shoes and it did the trick