Chinese food

Options
I am sure this isn't the first post for Chinese food... is it possible to make healthy choices? I thought I could but the soduim is killing me!! I went over my calories tonight but not a major amount. I will not stress out about it but I am now afraid to order it again. I got steamed chicken and broccoli with a half serving of brown rice but the darn brown sauce (on the side) is what killed me. oh I also got the hot and sour soup. I feel fool but I feel guilty for eating it!!

So what I would like to know is are they healthier choices out there for the next time- my husband and son enjoy chinese take out every other week at least. So it's going to happen again HELP

Thanks in advance

Replies

• mszSHOGAN
    mszSHOGAN Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I'm not too sure about healthier options for take-out (since you don't really know what they're putting in it) but if you want to make some stir frys at home you can buy reduced sodium soy sauce as well as reduced sodium other types of sauces.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    When we order Chinese, I typically get the szechuan chicken, garlic chicken, or beef with broccoli. I order a small order of it which is a pint and it comes with white rice. I never eat the rice and in the beginning I would throw the rice away to make sure I didn't eat it. Now I LOVE Chinese food so I don't worry too much about the sodium when I eat it. I avoid Chinese around my period because of the salt and if I get a craving, I will have it for lunch to give me some extra time to burn it off.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Panda Express has a couple of good, lower sodium options, and they're tasty, too! Maybe not authentic, but at least they have a nutritional guide online :)
  • tinap1
    tinap1 Posts: 27
    Options
    bump
  • Rumph1
    Rumph1 Posts: 8
    Options
    Starting to get discouraged as people try to tell me "oh, it's Ok if you eat this or that, it's Friday"...also not in my routine of the weekend makes me go over my calories ...I cannot do it on 1200 calories a day without exercising and NOW the time will change and there will be more day light. I hope I use that time to exercise instead of eat..I am getting impatient even after loosing 12 pounds. I still have 20 to go. :(
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Ask for it steamed not stir fried. Such as chicken and chinese veggies. Thats what I sually get and ask for the sauce on the side or no sauce at all....I know, the sauce is what makes it so tasty! Wonton soup is not bad at all and also one egg roll wont hurt you :)
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    Ask for it steamed not stir fried. Such as chicken and chinese veggies. Thats what I sually get and ask for the sauce on the side or no sauce at all....I know, the sauce is what makes it so tasty! Wonton soup is not bad at all and also one egg roll wont hurt you :)

I ordered steamed chicken and broccoli with the sauce on the side and only used 1/4 cup of it. 1/2 cup of brown rice. I just think the sodium is kicking my butt and I did eat the soup too.. Just feeling guilty. Tomorrow will be a fresh day!
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options

I ordered steamed chicken and broccoli with the sauce on the side and only used 1/4 cup of it. 1/2 cup of brown rice. I just think the sodium is kicking my butt and I did eat the soup too.. Just feeling guilty. Tomorrow will be a fresh day!

Dont worry about it! Just drink lots of lemon water :)
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    you're right Carrieberrie I am stressing for nothing!! this is the first time in 3 weeks I went over. before MFP I was eating like a PIG!

let me go get some more water...

thank you all
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty of water so your body doesn't hold water. (I know that seems backwards) You ditd good, just get to the gym. You don't do it every day. Don't beat yourself up.

[/quote]