Two questions for the seasoned gym goers...

Options
1. I read that interval settings on the cardio machines burn more fat (livestrong & about.com). I usually set my treadmill to fat burn mode which starts flat, then after a couple of minutes raises to 1.5 incline then after a minute or two more raises to a 3 incline & stays there until nearly the last two minutes of my 20 minute work out (the max time allowed on each cardio machine per gym rules). Today I tried the interval mode which switched back & forth between flat & 3 incline every couple of minutes. I feel like ti get a better work out & burn more fat when & set to fat burn (i.e. I usually sweat more than I did today). So what to all you fitness guru's think?

2. I've been feeling some weird discomfort while working out, and today it was really noticeable. I do 20 min on an elliptical & 20 min on the treadmill & have been feeling discomfort on the outer upper right thigh, just below my hip and the top of my left calf, just under my knee...what the heck?

p.s. I plan on adding strength training when I'm half way to my goal weight

Replies

• postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    What kind of discomfort?
  • Bess_74
    Options
    Kind of a soreness, just lets me know it's there, today it felt kind of tight, or pulling...boyfriend says it's because I don't stretch, but I wouldn't even know what kind of stretches to do, or how to do them without hurting myself.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Stretching is important. This link shows some of the basic ones:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stretching/SM00043

Why can't you start strength training now?
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Stregth training is so key. I'd do it now.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Definitely keep an eye on any discomfort that seems injury related. I say that as a regular gym goer I'm sore all the time. My trainer and Jillian Michaels chuckle with glee and say that's the way it's supposed to be. Now am I so sore I can't wiggle... every now and then, but mostly mild soreness. Today it's my quads and hands.

Maybe certain machine aren't for you. The ellipitcal trainers give me major hip pain, so I stay away. Treadmills, rowers, every the stair steppers work great for me. I like the programs on the treadmill that alter the incline frequently and differently throughout my work out.

I have a problem with my right IT band. I have to stretch my IT bands regularly or my knee hurts so bad I can hardly walk.

As for strength training start it now. Muscle burns more calories. It will really help with the weight loss. My first 50 pounds literally fell off. I was training hard with weights and cardio. Now that I'm pretty muscular the weight is coming off more slowly, but it is coming off. Plus I have 72 pounds off to really enjoy that accomplishment.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    As we get older stretching is sometimes more important than the workout, the muscles need to be eased into the routine. You can start with small weights and work yourself up to heavier ones, you don't have to start lifting like an Olympian. Also strength training helps your muscles deal with cardio better.
  • rede2go
    rede2go Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I agree! Start the strength training now. I use to go to the gym and burn tons of calories and I would see some weight loss but now that I have been doing weight training I see a difference in my body. I have shoulder muscles, my stomach is smaller, I didnt see the same results when I was just doing the cardio. I would really encourage you to do some weights. I am not personally a fan of the big weight machines at the gym they work for a lot of people but I dont enjoy them. I prefer free weights. Good luck hope things work out for you! and stretch it will make a huge difference with the pain.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Not too sure about the pain in your leg, but as far as the interval training goes, I say YES. I do HIIT everyday after I lift, and it torches calories much better than just running at a steady pace of 15 minutes. I do it on the treadmill, I start out at 5.5mph for a little 30 second warm up, then up to 6.0mph for a minute, then up to 7.5 for a minute, back down to 6.0 for a minute, up to 8.0 for a minute, back down to 6.0. So basically it goes 5.0 warmup, 6.0, 7.5, 6.0, 8.0, 6.0, 7.5, etc. for 15 minutes and I end with a 2 minute cool-down slow jog. Do that and tell me that it's not harder than 15 minutes of steady-pace running :happy:
  • mirthfuldragon
    mirthfuldragon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    A couple of notes about cardio:

Ignore the "fat burn" myth. Adding intensity beyond "fat burn" threshold and getting a higher heart rate will burn more calories. You'll be using up glycogen instead, which your body will later replace from the carbs and fat you take in. There's actually quite a bit going on in terms of the science of cardiovascular metabolsim, but the idea of a lower intensity workout that keeps you in a "fat burn" zone is pretty much bunk. While on the topic, the idea of "burning muscle" is likewise incorrect. Focus on getting a good, intense workout in, and go from there.

Most of the gyms I've gone to have one of those rules about duration - but I've never seen it enforced. If there are empty machines, keep going until someone says something.