Cold Weather Running

Options
2»

Replies

• jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Wow...you guys are fantastic...what a vast array of input that I intend to put to good use!

Thanks again everyone....HAPPY RUNNING!
  • mnmomto4
    mnmomto4 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    thanks. I looked up the weather today. It is suposed to be 42 so not so bad. Looking forward to this accomplishment.
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I bought these for this winter--it won't get below 20 degrees much (and if it does I will probably be a popsicle and won't run): http://www.target.com/p/c9-by-champion-women-s-cold-weather-running-tight-black/-/A-14153054

I love them. they keep me warm in colder weather but they also breathe enough to wear in the 40s (fahrenheit). I also wear a short sleeve tech shirt and a moisture wicking pullover (it's tech gear, from kohls...not super expensive). i just bought a headband (asics) so I'm excited for my ears to be warm!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    For starters, I run year round... I've run 5 Km, 10Km and Half Marathons in -30 C and a few full marathons at plus 30 C (around 100F). I don't care what the weather is, its meant to be enjoyed and adds to the challenge of a run. That being said, I am also a sometime coach at the Running Room and enjoy helping others succeed. Needless to say I know a fair bit about running and dressing for the weather. Let me start by saying that you always want to dress as though its 5-10 degrees warmer outside than it is. The body heats up as you run. That heat will arrive quickly and you need to accomodate it in the way you dress.

Wear the appropriate clothing for the task at hand... you wouldn't get married in a speedo, or go to a funeral in gym shorts, why is running any different. Dress for success with these pointers;

COTTON IS ROTTEN! Doesn't matter what the season, ditch the cotton in favor of lightweight technical fabrics including dryfit or Coolmax. Cotton holds moisture and also becomes mildly abrasive when wet. This leads to chafing and blisters at friction points. The fact that you are soaking wet also makes it harder to regulate your temperature... plus it just feels gross.

UNDERWEAR LAYER-> For the ladies this means a properly fitted sports bra and appropriate underwear. I know many women who have a little larger endowment than others... investing in a good quality sports bra like the Shock Absorber will help you feel more comfortable and willing to come back and run more often. For the guys, wear wind briefs that wick moisture and keep your personal bits in place.

BASE LAYER-> This is the layer that contacts the largest organ in the human body... the skin. Go with a moisture wicking technical fabric which draws the sweat away from your skin and aids evaporation. Look for labels like Cool Max or Dry Fit. Seasonally appropriate, you'd want shorts in the summer and pants in the winter. In extreme winter, I alternate between a lined pant or wind resistant running tights... Yes, Real Men DO wear tights! A proper base layer is essential to reduce the chance of frostbite in the cold weather.

MID LAYER ->Next layer should be a breathable but warm fabric. I prefer a synthetic polar fleece or a technical running jacket with a full length zipper (temperature regulation is only a zipper away). There are many great options out there. Choose for comfort. As a rule of thumb, This is a layer I usually only apply to the upper body. The muscles in your legs generate a fair amount of heat while running that they probably won't get cold anyways.

OUTER LAYER ->I follow it up with a wind resistant\water repellant outer shell with zipper arms (hmm... zipper... temperature??? ). This reduces wind chill and keeps you dry from external factors (rain, snow).

SOCKS -> Dryfit dual layer socks. My feet don't normally get cold while running... like your mother probably told you as a kid... stomp your feet to keep them warm. You'll be doing this a few thousand times a mile.

GLOVES -> I have some adaptable ones that I wear when its really cold. They convert from mittens to gloves. Unless its -20 or less, I don't bother as my hands get hot when I run. Plus my hands are free to make snowballs to wing at other runners in my group.

HAT -> You lose a great deal of heat thru your head...cover it up! A proper head covering may reduce some of that nasty sweat from dripping into your eyes.

SHOES -> Choices, choices...I don't vary my shoes by season. Some people do. I'd recommend a properly fitted shoe by someone who knows what they are doing (not the pimply faced kid at W**Mart) I know some people will move into a trail shoe in the winter as the ground gets a little bumpier. Keep in mind that shoes break down over time... I find in the winter they break down faster. Shoes should be replaced every 500 miles or so.

TRACTION -> As the ice hits the ground, you may want to look at a few options like Yak Tracks etc. Another option I use is a couple of rows of short hex head screws screwed into my old shoes. Instant traction for a cheap price.

Hope that helps! Winter running can be an enjoyable experience if you dress for it and are prepared for the challenges. Good Luck!
  • KellyAlyssa84
    Options
    Cold weather (not exercise) is such a trigger for my asthma. So, I am jealous you can go for a run during the colder months.

Wow, I really added nothing valuable to this.

Haha.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    PS -> I find lots of inexpensive Technical clothing on sale cheap at Value Village, or the Salvation Army Thrift stores. You can quite often find shirts\pants that people received for running a 5K or what-have-you that didn't fit or wrong color etc...

Cheap way to shop for gently used Athletic gear.

Good luck
  • alexroet
    alexroet Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    great info! I'm just starting to walk/jog/run a little, and am regretting that I started in November, because I know I'm going to want to quit when it's cold... But hopefully if i can dress appropriately, I can keep motivated! I've always HATED running, so this is a big step for me, to actually do it voluntarily.
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I second what jeffrodgers1 said, that's some solid advice!

Layers are key when winter running. I'm an outdoor runner year round as well and in Ottawa that means you prep for the COLD. My next half marathon is the Hypothermic Half in January. Delightful!

I use the general rule of thumb that once I'm running I'm going to be 15 degrees (celsius) warmer than I feel when I start out. Better to start cold and then warm up as you go.

The wicking base layer is a must, and because you're wearing more clothing I highly recommend investing in body glide. No one likes to chafe!

running hat and gloves are necessaries for me, I hate when my hands get cold. I generally wear a top layer that has pockets so if my hands get too hot I can take off my gloves and toss them in my pockets. One of my best running mates did some major damage to her hands by not wearing proper gloves, she now has to run with the chemical heaters in her mittens so she doesn't risk frost bite.

Great place to get a good winter jacket is the Running Room's resolution run. Good jackets (I run it every year so I have a good selection lol) and the race is only $50 which is less than the cost of buying the jacket itself, PLUS you get the fun of running on NYE so you can have less guilt over the night's excesses!
  • CINDYRN33
    CINDYRN33 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I am trying to figure out what to wear for socks when I cycle my feet are so cold. cant go anything too thick or shoes dont fit. Any suggestions on a brand of socks that work well but are not too thick???
  • AmyMalley77
    AmyMalley77 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    thanks for this post. I was wondering the same thing. Running my first 8K on thanksgiving in minnesota. I think I might need to do so shopping :)

I am running my first 8K in Minnesota that day too. :-)

Just FYI, Target has some nice, thin, fleece lined leggings in their workout apparel section. I think they are about $27. I love mine. I've worn them on nights or mornings when it's been around 25-30 degrees, and they are warm but not TOO warm. Perfect for that weather.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I am trying to figure out what to wear for socks when I cycle my feet are so cold. cant go anything too thick or shoes dont fit. Any suggestions on a brand of socks that work well but are not too thick???

What you want for cycling are a pair of footies that go on over your shoes, they look a little goofy but protect your feet from the wind and the rain (as a bonus, many of them have additional reflective elements enhancing your visibility in low light conditions)

here's a link (no financial interest) with some examples.........http://www.realcyclist.com/cycling-booties-and-shoe-covers?CMP_ID=PD_GOO010&mv_pc=r101&mkwid=spn161UvC|pcrid|6615262703&s_kwcid=TC|15307|cycling%20rain%20shoe%20covers||S|b|6615262703
  • CINDYRN33
    CINDYRN33 Posts: 148 Member
    Options

What you want for cycling are a pair of footies that go on over your shoes, they look a little goofy but protect your feet from the wind and the rain (as a bonus, many of them have additional reflective elements enhancing your visibility in low light conditions)

here's a link (no financial interest) with some examples.........http://www.realcyclist.com/cycling-booties-and-shoe-covers?CMP_ID=PD_GOO010&mv_pc=r101&mkwid=spn161UvC|pcrid|6615262703&s_kwcid=TC|15307|cycling%20rain%20shoe%20covers||S|b|6615262703

Awesome! thanks so much!