Knee Reconstruction dead lift substitute....

Options
My gym buddy has recently had a knee reconstruction and can't dead lift heavy. Anyone who can give me some ideas as to what we could substitute dead lifts for would be great. I guess me saying heavy is a bit ambiguous so I shall tell you we dead lift 130kg including the bar atm. Its my opinion that its gonna be hard to replace!

Current Routine... (For Back- Which I Do on a friday)
2x Pull Ups to Failure
3 x Deadlifts 4-6 Reps
3 x Lat Pull downs 8-12
3x Seated Cable Rows 8-12
3 x Shrugs 8-12

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    You might be able to go heavy on rack pulls.
  • Losemymanboobs
    Options
    I did think of this but the pressure on the knee's is still to much. Even been warned off bent over rows because of the body position.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    There really is no substitute for deadlifts if he can't stabilize himself from the floor. The best he might be able to do is to get in posterior chain work with hyperextensions or glute ham raises. Barbell hip thrusts probably won't work.
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    What's his rehab schedule and projected time to return to action?
  • chilly1979
    chilly1979 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    So is the doc telling him not to do them at all? Not sure where he is in the recovery.

I would think still do them he just needs to drop to a weight where he can do them and go from there. Deadlift will strengthen his knee.
    Coming back from my knee injury the PT had me squatting the bar at first. You just do what you can and go from there. I was squatting 600 before I got hurt. You swallow your priced and do what you can. Ignoring the exercise won’t get him anywhere.
  • Losemymanboobs
    Options

I'm afraid I am not overly sure, its been about 2 months since reconstruction and he is intense physio like (3-4 times a week). No contact sports for another 6 months odd and hes been advised to avoid all exercises where pressure goes through the knee.
    So is the doc telling him not to do them at all? Not sure where he is in the recovery.

I would think still do them he just needs to drop to a weight where he can do them and go from there. Deadlift will strengthen his knee.
    Coming back from my knee injury the PT had me squatting the bar at first. You just do what you can and go from there. I was squatting 600 before I got hurt. You swallow your priced and do what you can. Ignoring the exercise won’t get him anywhere.

This was my thinking exactly, I was considering starting him back on the 5x5 stronglift thing. Starting with just the bar and moving up but as I said he still advised to avoid them, we have kinda tailored our workouts now to incorporate the bench for everything, seated shrugs, seated dumbell press etc etc.
  • chilly1979
    chilly1979 Posts: 24 Member
    Options

I'm afraid I am not overly sure, its been about 2 months since reconstruction and he is intense physio like (3-4 times a week). No contact sports for another 6 months odd and hes been advised to avoid all exercises where pressure goes through the knee.

This was my thinking exactly, I was considering starting him back on the 5x5 stronglift thing. Starting with just the bar and moving up but as I said he still advised to avoid them, we have kinda tailored our workouts now to incorporate the bench for everything, seated shrugs, seated dumbell press etc etc.

Yeah it sounds like the PT wants to be there for all he is doing right now. Some are like that. Your friend might need that right now. Mine said I could do stuff on my own with light weight.
    Sounds like he is getting exercise for his knee so maybe he just skips that for now.