VEGGIE BURGERS, homemade - How do you make them?

Options
castell5
castell5 Posts: 234 Member
Hello,
I tried to make veggie burgers, I winged it and well, it didn't come out right.
I used a variety of veggies, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, spinach, green pepper, garlic, avacado, and one can of beef stock.
It was too wet. I tried cooking off the liquid, took too long. I added 2/3 cup of bread crumbs.. and it made it appear like it might work but when I tried to fry a patty, I couldn't flip it, it fell apart.
What can I do to make it sturdy enough to be a veggie patty or veggie burger?

Please advise if you know anything about them.
Thanks,

Replies

• rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Well I wouldn't use stock of any kind, it will make it far too runny and you want to avoid that at all costs.

I'd steam the veggies, add the breadcrumbs and an egg then give it a try. I don't know the volume of ingredients but you might have to experiment with the number of eggs.

PS I am veggie, so have made veggie burgers a few times but usually lentil or chickpea ones. I have used the above method to make a vegetable loaf / nut roast.
  • cmz311
    cmz311 Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanks
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I tried to make veggie burgers, I winged it and well, it didn't come out right.
    I used a variety of veggies, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, spinach, green pepper, garlic, avacado, and one can of beef stock.

I've never tried to make them myself, but just wanted to let you know that if you are using beef stock (or any other non-vegetable stock/broth) they are not considered true veggie burgers.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Why in god's name would you put *beef* stock in *veggie* burgers?

Edited to add that both No Meat Athlete and Oh She Glow are awesome site for recipes--I'd be shocked if their veggie burgers didn't rock.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Ooh ooh! The Passionate Vegetarian cookbook has a whole chaptee on burgers. ill message you my fave when i get out of the shower-its SO YUMMY.
  • Beth71284
    Beth71284 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    These have beans in them, but I love them and they are vegan.

http://www.holycowvegan.net/2011/03/bean-and-oats-burgers.html
  • mollydubs
    mollydubs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Well first off...putting beef stock in a veggie burger is about the strangest thing you could add. Other than, you know, meat.

You need a binder in there somewhere. If you want to use eggs, use eggs. If you want it to be vegan, try egg replacers like flax seed or enerG. Beans are also great and holding stuff together. Breadcrumbs also help hold things together as do oats.
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Why in god's name would you put *beef* stock in *veggie* burgers?

Edited to add that both No Meat Athlete and Oh She Glow are awesome site for recipes--I'd be shocked if their veggie burgers didn't rock.

I top my veggie burgers with bacon sometimes, no joke. I'm not a vegetarian and I like my chickpea burgers and I like my bacon.
  • quiltlady77
    quiltlady77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've tried making veggie burgers several times using an egg to hold them together and with beans and sometimes brown rice. No matter what I use, they do tend to fall apart easily but they still taste delicious.