New to MFP, depressed about my weight :(

Options

Replies

• mezasu
    mezasu Posts: 42
    Options
    Went through something similar. Went to the doctor to get cleared for surgery and discovered my true weight. Disgusted with the way I felt and looked, joined this site 3 weeks ago and have kept an eye on everything I eat. Have started back to exercising and with a lot of willpower, have lost almost 11 pounds in those three weeks. Hasn't been easy, but have several goals in mind that keep me headed down the right path. Good luck with getting those pounds off and feeling better about yourself.

Wow, great job! :) And thank you for sharing your story. Good luck to you, too!
  • mezasu
    Options
    Congratulations on taking the first step and joining us on MFP. That itself is a big step. I love this site becuase it helps you realize what you are eating and therefore you will eat less. log on everyday and try to exercise atleast 5 days a week. It doesn't have to be for hours at a time but start slow. You can start off with 10 minutes a day. Don't overdo it. you might not see results right away but trust me you will. If you need motivation we are here for you. Try to eat healthier things instead of what you have been eating. Don't forget your vitamins.

Thanks! I'm so excited about all my new friends on here haha :) This is gonna be so much more fun than doing it alone with some stupid fad diet!
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    When I got to my highest weight, 320, I felt very depressed and defeated by it. I stayed at 280 for years and for some reason I thought as long as I was under 300, it wasn't that bad, so when I shot over it, it devastated me. But now when I have bad days I just think of the number 320 and how I will never see it again. We can't change where we start from, but if you think of every new weight as a momentary thing that you won't ever be back to, it changes your perspective a little bit.
  • mezasu
    Options
    When I got to my highest weight, 320, I felt very depressed and defeated by it. I stayed at 280 for years and for some reason I thought as long as I was under 300, it wasn't that bad, so when I shot over it, it devastated me. But now when I have bad days I just think of the number 320 and how I will never see it again. We can't change where we start from, but if you think of every new weight as a momentary thing that you won't ever be back to, it changes your perspective a little bit.

That's a great way to think about it! Thank you so much :)
  • cyndymar
    Options
    We all get that way, we step on the scale it goes up ,it goes down . It doesn't define who u are its doesn't tell u what a great person u are , how much your family and friends love u, that u have the power to choose your happiness !!! Yes u have the power to change it . Can u yes with dedication , sweat, & even tears . I weighed 254 at my highest and decided that I needed to change my eating habits first if I was ever going to accomplish my weightloss. I now weigh 160 and still progressing slowly but surely I will get there . I do alot of weightlifting and that is what has help shred the fat along with clean eating ( no processed foods mostly organic or all natural foods) and exercise . 70% food 30% exercise . That will yield results You can do it hun just keep your head up high , eat clean, train hard , PUSH foward YES YOU CAN !!!
  • KmusicheartBTS
    KmusicheartBTS Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I can definitely relate to some aspects of your experience, or even most aspects. I have reached the highest weight in my life in 2009. I had a very stressful job that prompted me to go to the store almost every night (after 11pm), buy myself junk food, and gorge on it before bed. At the time, I also didn't exercise. I knew I was gaining weight, but I couldn't take a moment and truly assess what was happening. There came a moment, when I started to have knee pain. Never had health issues before, so it was truly alarming. Then I weighed myself... :-/ It took me some time to recover from shock. What does it all mean for me? I asked. I couldn't continue this anymore. So, I decided to join a gym. It was a slow journey with lots of ups and downs. I struggled with food, but I maintained my exercise commitment as much as I could. Then I moved back to the state where I initially came from and joined the Y there. My weight slowly climbed down, I became fitter and happier, even though I was still over my desired weight. The director at the Y asked me to pose for a newsletter and tell them my short story, which I did. At the time I was 142 lbs or something, but my goal was 133 lbs. I just kept going. I remember days, when I didn't want to work out at all. I got my butt to the gym, went to the corner, and cried my eyes out because I really didn't want to be there. Other days were better. Anyway, life has been up and down since then and that's the journey. I hope that you gather your patience and start climbing down slowly. It's very possible and WILL happen if you just don't give up. Make sure to use the community for help and support! And, make sure that when you have bad days, pick yourself up, dust it off, and start anew!

Evelyn
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I guess that moment of truth is different for each of us. I've struggled with weight my entire adult life, going through cycles of losing, then regaining. I've been overweight this time since about 1991 or 1992, so a good 20 years. I've started and abandoned countless fitness plans since then, feeling completely out of control and unable to help myself. What finally clicked is the evening in early September when I was preparing for bed and feeling completely miserable with how I had stuffed myself all freaking day long. And then I started thinking about the sherbet that was in the freezer. Suddenly I saw with crystal clarity that I had been doing this to myself ON PURPOSE because it made me turn my focus to self-loathing and food rather than outward to the problem of suspecting my son of being on drugs while he was living here doing nothing to get his life back on track, also my boredom and dissatisfaction with my job. I knew in that moment that I had been control all along, and if I could do such a horrible thing to myself on purpose, I could do something new. And ever since then I have stopped eating between meals and have been keeping track of my calories. I also asked son to leave, which he did. Now I cry a lot instead of stuffing myself. I guess weeping for overeating is a fair trade-off.
  • Midnight1210
    Midnight1210 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You can do this and this site will help you tremendously.

As others have said, don't think of it as dieting - it's a change of lifestyle. You will become more aware of what you eat and how you exercise and see how it really makes difference.

I've always been back and forth with my weight so I know how hard it is. Since grade school I have been genetically predisposed to weight accumulating in unflattering areas and severe depression. I tried every gimmick, bought expensive machines and eventually developed an eating disorder that took a long time to overcome.

A car accident in 2004 changed my life forever. With permanent nerve damage to the right side and constant pain - exercising was almost unbearable. I was putting on weight from being sedentary and depression worsened. Still, I managed to find the inner strength to lose weight and keep it off for a few years until 2008 - and then everything went downhill again.

When I started this site this summer I had reached the heaviest I've ever been and knew it was time to drop the weight - and this time keep it off. The nerve damage is still there, the pain is still there and the depression is still there. With the help of this site and the great people I've met - I push myself through it. The simple truth is, the only one who can stop you from succeeding - is you.

So stay strong, stay honest with your logging and gather a good group of supportive friends here and you can accomplish anything you set your mind to.

I've 65 lbs to go myself and in it for the long haul. Anyone can feel free to add me. :bigsmile:
  • mezasu
    Options
    We all get that way, we step on the scale it goes up ,it goes down . It doesn't define who u are its doesn't tell u what a great person u are , how much your family and friends love u, that u have the power to choose your happiness !!! Yes u have the power to change it . Can u yes with dedication , sweat, & even tears . I weighed 254 at my highest and decided that I needed to change my eating habits first if I was ever going to accomplish my weightloss. I now weigh 160 and still progressing slowly but surely I will get there . I do alot of weightlifting and that is what has help shred the fat along with clean eating ( no processed foods mostly organic or all natural foods) and exercise . 70% food 30% exercise . That will yield results You can do it hun just keep your head up high , eat clean, train hard , PUSH foward YES YOU CAN !!!

Thank you so much for the encouragement! :) I admire your dedication so much!
  • mezasu
    Options
    I can definitely relate to some aspects of your experience, or even most aspects. I have reached the highest weight in my life in 2009. I had a very stressful job that prompted me to go to the store almost every night (after 11pm), buy myself junk food, and gorge on it before bed. At the time, I also didn't exercise. I knew I was gaining weight, but I couldn't take a moment and truly assess what was happening. There came a moment, when I started to have knee pain. Never had health issues before, so it was truly alarming. Then I weighed myself... :-/ It took me some time to recover from shock. What does it all mean for me? I asked. I couldn't continue this anymore. So, I decided to join a gym. It was a slow journey with lots of ups and downs. I struggled with food, but I maintained my exercise commitment as much as I could. Then I moved back to the state where I initially came from and joined the Y there. My weight slowly climbed down, I became fitter and happier, even though I was still over my desired weight. The director at the Y asked me to pose for a newsletter and tell them my short story, which I did. At the time I was 142 lbs or something, but my goal was 133 lbs. I just kept going. I remember days, when I didn't want to work out at all. I got my butt to the gym, went to the corner, and cried my eyes out because I really didn't want to be there. Other days were better. Anyway, life has been up and down since then and that's the journey. I hope that you gather your patience and start climbing down slowly. It's very possible and WILL happen if you just don't give up. Make sure to use the community for help and support! And, make sure that when you have bad days, pick yourself up, dust it off, and start anew!

Evelyn

Thanks! I'll be sure to follow your advice :) And great job losing all that weight! You look fantastic in your picture!
  • Kassadeedle
    Kassadeedle Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just started yesterday and I'm also really depressed about my weight, I used to be so tiny! Add me if you want, I'm trying to lose 50lbs!
  • mezasu
    Options
    I guess that moment of truth is different for each of us. I've struggled with weight my entire adult life, going through cycles of losing, then regaining. I've been overweight this time since about 1991 or 1992, so a good 20 years. I've started and abandoned countless fitness plans since then, feeling completely out of control and unable to help myself. What finally clicked is the evening in early September when I was preparing for bed and feeling completely miserable with how I had stuffed myself all freaking day long. And then I started thinking about the sherbet that was in the freezer. Suddenly I saw with crystal clarity that I had been doing this to myself ON PURPOSE because it made me turn my focus to self-loathing and food rather than outward to the problem of suspecting my son of being on drugs while he was living here doing nothing to get his life back on track, also my boredom and dissatisfaction with my job. I knew in that moment that I had been control all along, and if I could do such a horrible thing to myself on purpose, I could do something new. And ever since then I have stopped eating between meals and have been keeping track of my calories. I also asked son to leave, which he did. Now I cry a lot instead of stuffing myself. I guess weeping for overeating is a fair trade-off.

Thank you so much for sharing your story. Crying is no fun; I hope things turn around for you soon!
  • thr33martins
    thr33martins Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I think my moment of truth was my new doctor being a b***h to me about my health without even knowing anything about it. She automatically assumed that my concern about my hormones was about my thyroid, which is just fine, as opposed to the hormones I was actually worried about, for which I still have no information. Anyway, after a battery of tests showed that I don't drink enough milk,she shipped me to a dietician who was surprisingly nice, gave me a lot of good advice, and sent me here. So far I'm 20 pounds down and I still don't drink enough milk.

Ha ha! I don't drink any milk!! :) How much are we supposed to drink? I have never ever been told that before!!

Sounds like you made the best of a bad situation (*****y doctor) - good for you. 20 pounds is a great accomplishment!

And to OP, you took the first step, and often that one is the hardest. Keep focused, continue to educate yourself, and remember your ability to turn a mad moment around. You can do this!!
  • mezasu
    Options
    You can do this and this site will help you tremendously.

As others have said, don't think of it as dieting - it's a change of lifestyle. You will become more aware of what you eat and how you exercise and see how it really makes difference.

I've always been back and forth with my weight so I know how hard it is. Since grade school I have been genetically predisposed to weight accumulating in unflattering areas and severe depression. I tried every gimmick, bought expensive machines and eventually developed an eating disorder that took a long time to overcome.

A car accident in 2004 changed my life forever. With permanent nerve damage to the right side and constant pain - exercising was almost unbearable. I was putting on weight from being sedentary and depression worsened. Still, I managed to find the inner strength to lose weight and keep it off for a few years until 2008 - and then everything went downhill again.

When I started this site this summer I had reached the heaviest I've ever been and knew it was time to drop the weight - and this time keep it off. The nerve damage is still there, the pain is still there and the depression is still there. With the help of this site and the great people I've met - I push myself through it. The simple truth is, the only one who can stop you from succeeding - is you.

So stay strong, stay honest with your logging and gather a good group of supportive friends here and you can accomplish anything you set your mind to.

I've 65 lbs to go myself and in it for the long haul. Anyone can feel free to add me. :bigsmile:

Thank you so much for sharing your story! :) I have struggled with my weight since grade school as well (was made fun of constantly for it too) and as a result have had on and off depression for about as long as I can remember, but I've been trying to remain optimistic, and this is only day 1 for me on this site but it's already been helping so much! I'd love to be friends on here and encourage each other as much as we can :)
  • mezasu
    Options
    And to OP, you took the first step, and often that one is the hardest. Keep focused, continue to educate yourself, and remember your ability to turn a mad moment around. You can do this!!

Thank you! :D I will!
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    What matters is not what number on the scale you are on right now,but the weight difference both scales show. Still, you're on the roght path and it's just a matter of time until you reach your goals. Everyone fighting this battle has had ups and lows.
    Cheer up and keep going! You can do this!

Remember to take measutements as well. The scale can get lost,broken,thrown away or malfunction, so you need. Truly reliable thing to track your progress.

Good luck!!! :)
  • mezasu
    Options
    What matters is not what number on the scale you are on right now,but the weight difference both scales show. Still, you're on the roght path and it's just a matter of time until you reach your goals. Everyone fighting this battle has had ups and lows.
    Cheer up and keep going! You can do this!

Remember to take measutements as well. The scale can get lost,broken,thrown away or malfunction, so you need. Truly reliable thing to track your progress.

Good luck!!! :)

Thanks for the advice/encouragement! I'll try not to let it keep me down and to just power through it :) and I'll try to see if anyone in my house has measuring tape I can borrow!
  • NorthWoodsLee
    NorthWoodsLee Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I understand exactly what you are feeling. I've been overweight my entire adult life - my high was 335 lbs in approx. 1998, and have been bouncing between 285 and 300+ ever since. I was 306 lbs on May 14. I read an article about a week later in The Atlantic magazine that convinced me that, despite all of my past failures to lose weight and keep it off, that it is very possible to do it, particularly when people use a variety of strategies including calorie tracking, social support, etc. In other words - what MFP provides. That confidence made all of the difference for me and enabled me to get started and jump in with both feet. Since then, I've lost 72 lbs. Yes, it's been a lot of work, but even the work has been fun and the social interaction here on MFP and the results have been fantastic. I'm thrilled with my success and the process and my new active and generally "clean" eating lifestyle. I no longer panic at that thought that I can't eat as much pizza as I can shovel in my mouth whenever I want or scarf down a Monster Burger and large fries at Hardees every day. I know that I can and will lose weight if I track my calories and exercise, even though I am not and never will be perfect and have some not-so-great and even bad days. I certainly remember being clinically depressed and so embarrassed that I avoided public events as much as I could. But six months later, I get compliments almost every day about how much this site and my friends have helped me transform my body. I have a long way to go, but I'm extremely excited because I now know what to do, how to do it, and I couldn't be happier with the process. If I can do it, you certainly can and so can anyone else.
  • mezasu
    Options
    I understand exactly what you are feeling. I've been overweight my entire adult life - my high was 335 lbs in approx. 1998, and have been bouncing between 285 and 300+ ever since. I was 306 lbs on May 14. I read an article about a week later in The Atlantic magazine that convinced me that, despite all of my past failures to lose weight and keep it off, that it is very possible to do it, particularly when people use a variety of strategies including calorie tracking, social support, etc. In other words - what MFP provides. That confidence made all of the difference for me and enabled me to get started and jump in with both feet. Since then, I've lost 72 lbs. Yes, it's been a lot of work, but even the work has been fun and the social interaction here on MFP and the results have been fantastic. I'm thrilled with my success and the process and my new active and generally "clean" eating lifestyle. I no longer panic at that thought that I can't eat as much pizza as I can shovel in my mouth whenever I want or scarf down a Monster Burger and large fries at Hardees every day. I know that I can and will lose weight if I track my calories and exercise, even though I am not and never will be perfect and have some not-so-great and even bad days. I certainly remember being clinically depressed and so embarrassed that I avoided public events as much as I could. But six months later, I get compliments almost every day about how much this site and my friends have helped me transform my body. I have a long way to go, but I'm extremely excited because I now know what to do, how to do it, and I couldn't be happier with the process. If I can do it, you certainly can and so can anyone else.

Thanks for sharing your story! What you've accomplished is amazing and so inspirational :) And I'm so relieved to know I'm not the only one who avoids public events (even private events with close friends) because of embarrassment about my weight! But I CAN turn this around, and I will! Thank you so much for your encouragement :)
  • SkullMama73
    Options
    For me, the turning point only happened a couple days ago. I'm over 40 pounds overweight at this point but because I am tall, people say there's no way I gained that weight, but I'm not comfortable and I feel so self conscious about my appearance, I also suffer from mild depression so I use food as an emotional blanket. A couple days ago, I heard a comment that Dr. Oz made on the risk of heart disease, saying that if a person can't climb a simple flight of stairs without feeling out of breath, then that person has a greater chance of having a heart attack. That hit home. I'll be 40 soon, and was never athletic growing up, which is part of my problem. I've decided to make a fresh start and rid myself of what's bad for me. I'm label conscious for my family, but not for myself. I realized what a bad example I was to my kids and husband, who is diabetic. How can I take care of them if I can't or won't take care of myself? I know that no one can do this but me. I have to regain control and not eat just because I'm bored, angry, or depressed. So i'm back with tracking my calorie intake for the third time in a year and this time I'm going to make it work this time.
    Best of luck to you and keep positive. Remember you are doing this for your own health and well being. I say these things as a reminder to myself also because I am good at giving advice but not taking it.:smile: