Help - 1st day I went sooooo over

Options
Good news is I logged everything (old me wouldn't have done that).

Bad news is I went over, like 355 calories in the red. :sad:

Question, can I just eat 355 calories less tomorrow?

That way both days would average out perfect.

Do you recommend? Thoughts?

I say "yes".

~Tammy

Replies

• teresa699
    Options
    Tammy girl, you are exactly right. If you go over one day the deduct that amount of calories the next day and you should be fine. Good Luck. Teresa
  • allyson223
    Options
    Oh boy my first day I went out to eat and was over um... dare I say??? 500 :embarassed:

Just think of this is a learning experience! It really was a great way to start! It made me realize I was eating many more calories than I thought I was! 300 truly isn't that bad. Just take that into account and continue to learn and become more aware!

But in my experience first day was the worst. It gets easier and much better from here on out! :) way to go on logging your food! That's the best part! KEEP GOING!
  • blankcanvas
    blankcanvas Posts: 177
    Options
    No, don't think it works that way:tongue: the good thing is you recorded it anyway so you're aware of it. Tomorrow is a new day to get back on track:smile: We all take our bad days, try to learn from it and move on...they shouldn't be 'deal breakers'..:bigsmile: All just part of the process....good luck!
  • texaslady1
    texaslady1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yep, try to look at your calories consumed in a week's time, more or less. Hey, first day, 350 calories over is awesome! Congrats! Every day it will get better. Consistency is the key.
  • DaveyGravy
    DaveyGravy Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Well if you were over calories by 300 or something, you won't gain anything...remember your goal is a defecit calorie amount so if you go over 500 (if you're set to lose 1 lb a week) or 1000 (for 2 lbs a week loss) then you won't lose or gain anything ;)
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, but don't feel bad. I went WAYYY over today...close to 700 thanks to Steak and Shake. Grr!! BUT, it is most definitely a learning experience, and I also don't eat like that every day or hardly ever. I don't know if you can just eat 355 cals less tomorrow. I say just get a good workout in and consider it a new week and a new start...that's my thought process!
  • WonderNoodle
    Options
    First day, first week is a reality check. A gauge to evaluate where you need to make adjustments. Tomorrow, you start over again. Feel bad about the overage, do a little exercise to "earn it".

There will always be days we go over. Perfection is not real life. Working toward it is.
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    from experience, on days I go over, I always weigh less the next day. Weird, I know. I guess in a way, it shocks your system because you did something different. One day won't hurt you. In fact, once in awhile, it may actually help you. I wouldn't recommend subtracting them from tomorrows calories though. Just start over with a clean slate and eat as you normally would on a good day :)
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    what I think you should do is exercise more tomorrow! (I have to as well) I think when you go over one day the under the next day your not getting yourself into a good rhythm, that is how bad habits happen or stay in our case... I was under yesterday and went over today but not on purpose, I don't want to to happen often. Start fresh tomorrow!
  • sleitner
    sleitner Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I would say to try to earn some of those calories back with exercise. You probably could deduct them from tomorrow but I only suggest that if your total allowed calories are more than 1200, otherwise you may feel really hungry. I know I would :laugh:
  • meokk
    meokk Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Hi Tammy girl,
    There is no need to starve yourself tomorrow.
    You could eat 100 cals less than normal for the next few days or you could throw a few extra workouts in this week.
    OR, you could just move on and forget about it, tomorrow is another day.
    Think about your calorie deficit as a weekly deficit as well as a daily deficit.
    355 cals is not much over the whole week and represents just 0.1 of a pound in terms of lost fat (or gained fat).

Good luck with your loss!!
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    It really does take awhile to get into a groove. The good news is that by logging things, you're accumulating valuable data which will let you make better decisions in the future. This is much better than just blindly eating whatever you want, or worse, thinking you're eating healthy when you're really not. I'm pretty sure all of us had that sticker-shock moment at first when we started logging and realized just what we had been putting into our bodies on a daily basis before we started this journey.

The trick is to not beat yourself up about it. Today you went over ... own it ... make it yours ... you'll do better tomorrow.

You can do it!
  • marjaskow
    marjaskow Posts: 81
    Options
    I wouldn't make up one day what went wrong the day before by adding or subtracting calories. It's over and the next day is a new start. Just starting to journal is a learning experience and takes a few days to realize what you have been used to eating and takes a few days to adjust it to fit the program better.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    If I go over one day by 300 or so - I really don't worry about it - and no, I don't try to make up for it the next day. In real life there are just some days that we eat more than others. Just move on. Exercise a little more if you feel like it - but going over once in a while will not hurt you!
  • Tamie_Girl
    Tamie_Girl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh, this is funny. This wasn't my first day on MFP...LOL This was my first day I went over.

I started 2 weeks ago. It's funny that some of you thought I went over on my first MFP day. :bigsmile:

I should have worded my Topic a little different. Sorry guys.

:blushing:

• DaveyGravy
    DaveyGravy Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, but don't feel bad. I went WAYYY over today...close to 700 thanks to Steak and Shake. Grr!! BUT, it is most definitely a learning experience, and I also don't eat like that every day or hardly ever. I don't know if you can just eat 355 cals less tomorrow. I say just get a good workout in and consider it a new week and a new start...that's my thought process!

Haha when I was in the US i went to steak n shake (at 3am lol) and got a patty melt, it turned out to be about 1200 calories, i was sooooo annoyed! So good though ha.
  • Tamie_Girl
    Tamie_Girl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Yea, I like the idea of throwing in a little extra exercise. That is exactly what I'll do tomorrow! :love:

I so appreciated reading everybody's comments on this subject. Thanks to everyone. :heart:

It was so helpful.

Let's face it, nobody eats the exact same amount every single day, no species on earth does that.

~Tammy
  • FeatherStone13
    Options
    You mentioned in your reply that you weigh less the day after you over eat. That happens to ME too! I thought I was an anomoly. I wonder why that happens?
  • MFT2010
    MFT2010 Posts: 122
    Options
    keep up the good work! we all take a few steps back before we move forward.... be kind to yourself! good luck and you WILL have success! :happy:
  • 0mega60
    0mega60 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    GREAT DIRECTION WITH YOUR MONITORING AND VIEWING DETAILS OF YOUR MEALS......WILL READ MORE OF YOUR THOUGHTS LATER TODAY......WAS ON YOUR COMMENT INITIALLY WITH YOUR COMMENT OF THE MEAL CATAGORIES PER PAY.....IV REQUESTING THE ABILITY TO ALLOW THE PROGRAM TO ADD MORE DAILY MEAL CATAGORIES.....TO MONITOR MORE DETAILS LIKE SUPPLEMENTS,PRESCRIPTIONS,LIQUID DRINKS,ALCOHOL...:)