Comletely Un-related to health... family dilemma?

Options
So, i have this aunt and uncle... and we had a HUGE fight around Easter. Her husband is a scumbag and, had been making fun of my dad, in no lightheartedness at all, for about15 years, every time we went to their house for the holidays, bc they have the money and nicest house. No one ever said anything, and everyone, including myself, is guilty of coming to loggerheads with my father... Hes a difficult man. But i always come back around, apologize, and try and set things right with him. The situation we are dealing with with my Uncle having said things, is ongoing for my entire lifer, no apologies... just ****dom on all fronts...

Well, Around easter the uncle said something i found unforgivable, (that we should have hidden the easter dinner under the cabinets, so my father would have found no food, and gone home, like a dog...???) and instead of calling out my 'uncle' in the middle of easter dinner in their yard, i went home and didnt say anything, and then sent an 'incredibly incendiary letter' (which it absolutely was) to my aunt, explaining that if this behaviour didnt stop, i found no need to be on thepremises for the holidays anymore.

I explained that i respect everyones right to have issues with my father, bc he IS DIFFICULT. However, id like someone to have at least enough familial respect to keep their ****ty opinions to themselves in public, mainly in front of me....

I Said some mean things,. mainly about how my uncle felt he was better than everyone else because he has money, and that didnt mean they can treat people like garbage.... etc etc etc... My aunt countered with 'Do i know how much it costs to host the holiday dinners?' I should have ended the conversation right there.

but, i sent a nasty letter, and now no one talks to anyone.... However, Something i knew was going to happen, is happening, and Thanksgiving is coming... So, she just friend requested me on FB, most likely because she realizes that if my father, fiancee, and i dont come, and my brother and his girlfriend dont come, shell be making dinnerf or her ****ty husband, their kid, and his father, only. Maybe her other brother and his wife. Maybe.

Aw..... should have thought of that i guess????

No one apologized except me (what???) and its been months.... no one talks... she went and saw my father for his birthday, in october, without her husband, who my father openly detests.... i dont know where they stand...

Also, She seemed not to give a flying crap about my engagement, and when i mentioned coming to my wedding last time we talked and she said 'maybe'.... Those 2 instances are plenty for me to know how she feels...

Guess who got a friend request today, 2 weeks before thankgsgiving...? I didnt even know she unfriended me... until i got the request this morning....

I dont know wether i should continue to have extricated myself from their ridiculousness,and leave it all alone, continue planning to have my father down to our house for the holidays... or accept the request and see what she wants.... I have currently closed my FB down.

I think maybe iu should see what my father wants to do, because no matter what, im not setting foot in that house again. I am more than aware what kind of people not only my 'uncle' are, but my aunt as well, at this point. And i have no desire for that kind of crap in my life.

Im looking forward to a holiday season with no one looking down their nose at me, my immediate family, and everything we have ever done...

Ugh.... unbelievable. i rly want to ignore the entire thing for pretty ,much the next 30 years.... but she obviously wants to establish... something....

I know i sound like a whiny emo kid, but i never stood up for myself once in my entire life.... this was the time.

What would you do???

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Just because people are family doesn't mean you have to put up with them if they are having a negative impact on your life. I've gone periods of years without speaking to my father. I cut one of my older brothers out of my life because it was toxic. You have to do what's best for you.
  • peanutswife
    peanutswife Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Here is what I would do and this is just my opinion. I would have thanksgiving at your house and invite them and if they show up then they show up. And if your uncle tries to say anything rude you can simply ask him to leave because it is your house. I am going through something similar with in laws. Good luck!!!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Personally I would enjoy a break from all the family drama and would have my own Thanksgiving. Invite those you wish to visit with and ask that they all contribute something to the gathering. No one feels put out or superior for "footing the bill" for the entire gathering. Only those that WANT to be there will attend and will be happy to contribute. As far as the aunt goes....everyone has a phone. FB and email is not the place to handle the situation. Go out for coffee some place, just the two of you.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go. It seems to me her "friending" at this moment in time is just to pump her numbers and not really about family, which it should be. If it was about family then she would have friended you long before she needed warm bodies at her event.

jus sayin...

don't go, make your own feast, invite your father, and brother,

but don't go
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I have no desire to get together with family if only drama ensues. Personally, I would have Thanksgiving at home. Just you and your fiance.
  • Faericn_Rising
    Options
    Yeah, theres a lot of silly nonsense about this... I know for sure ill be having my own dinner, and i migfht try and invite her but i think it will incense her. So i might not... either way i have offered my dad to either come to our house, or we can bring food to his place and cook/eat over there. Either way my current plan is to eat with my dad, and not see my uncle unless he apologizes to at least, my dad, if not everyone. which wont happen, but thats fine. i learned to cut off tumors a long time ago.

i personally could care less, its all for my dad.. i think thanksgiving is a crappy holiday celebrating rape murder and the beginning of eminent domain.... id just as soon have a nice nap instead lol....

but i get caught up in all this residual family crap, and aloofness on the one side... ugh... cant wait til we move to pannsyand reproduce.... then i can deal with my fiancees nice normal family....

and my dad. lol.

thanks for your inputs... i may try and suggest a coffee, just she and i. however, i dont think ill get a word in edgewise.... thats why isent the letter in the first place... when i speak, for my entire 27 years, if i am offering an opposing opinion, i get yelled at til i submit... but maybe a public [place would help that.

Maybe.

Something else, she may have heard im losing weight successfully... shes struggled with that her entire life.... she lost a LOT a few years ago, but its been slowly coming back.... she could definately be trying to ask some questions.... but the question is, do i forget everything that i have mentioned here, and bring her on MFP? Mh.... i dont know if THATS a good idea...

thanks all. <3
  • inkywitch
    Options
    stay away, and do not accept her "friend" request. they both owe you an apology, and if they don't have the decency to extend one to you, they deserve no part of your life. consider yourself lucky that you won't have them at your wedding, the one day that if someone ruins it, you can never get it back...! maybe i'm harsh, but i have absolutely no tolerance for bull**** anymore. if i get mistreated, and people don't take responsibility for themselves when i call them on it, i walk away, family or not...
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I would suck it up and take the high road. She is reaching out to you. Give them another chance.
  • kel665
    kel665 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'd ignore her and get on with my life. If this has been going on for 15 years, it's not going to change now. That being said, it is your family and you are the one that knows them well, go with your gut feeling, but do what is right for you, not what makes them happy and you miserable.
  • solarpower4
    solarpower4 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'd ignore her and get on with my life. If this has been going on for 15 years, it's not going to change now. That being said, it is your family and you are the one that knows them well, go with your gut feeling, but do what is right for you, not what makes them happy and you miserable.

Yes, do what is right for you and your fiance. And it IS health-related -- this kind of stress definitely affects your health.
    To reiterate: If this has been going on for 15 years, it's not going to change now. A "friend" request on FB is NOT reaching out to apologize or to do anything that would be helpful to you.

You don't get to choose your family members, but you do get to choose whether or not you go spend time with them. As someone else had posted, if they're toxic -- and especially if they have been for years -- avoid them. It doesn't matter that they're related to you. They don't care about you, so instead spend your time and energy with people who do care about you.

Congratulations on finding your voice to stand up for yourself!