Warning about shred

Options
I just wanted to post for peope who are thinking about starting to not do this if you have any knee issues or if it bothers you once you start. I did the dvd for 7 days. My knees,front and back were bothering me,but because she says 400 lb people can do jumping jacks, i was trying to push thru the pain. She actually says to do this. I thought it was muscle ache. After a week when I couldn't bend my knees properly and had trouble walking down stairs, I realized maybe this is not for everyone. I exercise 5-6 days a week, weight training, and bike,elliptical,treadmill, so It's not like I'm a beginner. Hope this will help save someone else from injury.

Replies

• cullensbrunette
    Options
    I had the same problem. I workout everyday for 2 hours but when I started doing the Shred my knees were killing me. I could barely walk. A week after I stopped doing it the knee pain went away. Complete waste of money for me. =(
  • tech_sarah
    Options
    Want to sell your copy of Shred? I'm still trying to figure out if it's a one disc dvd, and how there are different levels. I have one of Jillian's dvds that I use 2-3 days a week when I don't do lifting at the gym. Have been looking to buy the shred but am waiting to see if my relative wants to sell it to me first :) If not, are u interested in selling ur copy??
  • cullensbrunette
    Options
    i didnt buy the DVD or else I would. Sorry =(...I actually just bought and downloaded the series on a website called Exercise TV. Its a fabulous website! You buy them online and download them and you can put them onto a blank dvd or just do the workout on your computer.
  • Nener
    Nener Posts: 116
    Options
    I actually don't have a dvd. My cable has a fitness tv station and they let you do level one free. I researched and Walmart sells it for under $9 and that is for all 3 levels.
  • mlagena
    mlagena Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    One of my legs is misaligned due to an old injury and both my knees have arthritis.
    I still do the shred, but I do not do the butt kicks or the jump rope. I substitute with the punches during the cardio and that has helped a lot. The first week - my knees started to really bother me with the stairs, standing, etc. lol But i restarted this week and it hasn't been as bad.
    I know I'm probably missing the point by not doing the legs to the fullest, but i love the strength and the abs.
    I used to go to physical therapy for my knees and , while it wasn't high impact, my knees when through a phase where they were hurting most of the time while I was building the muscle mass to support them.

-Megan
  • mouser79
    mouser79 Posts: 68
    Options
    My knees did not hurt but my ankle ended up hurting so bad I could not work out for a week
  • rosalie_g
    rosalie_g Posts: 71
    Options
    I had wanted to jump on the bandwagon and try the shred but after watching clips of it I just knew I was too heavy to not get hurt while doing it so I skipped it and bought some walking dvd's. I suppose once I lose about 15 more pounds I may reconsider and try the shred but I'm glad you posted this. Thanks!
  • cullensbrunette
    Options
    The walking dvds are GREAT!! I do them everyday.
  • boscopup
    boscopup Posts: 20
    Options
    I also had to stop after the first week because my knees were awful, but I need to try it again now that I've been doing Wii Active regularly and have strengthened my knees to be able to take lunges and things. I googled the issue and found it's a common thing for women to have knee problems from these exercises, and I found some advice to do knee strengthening exercises and to take Ibuprofen when the knees were flaring up. Between those two things (and the fact that Wii Active 30 day challenge has you do 2 days on, 1 day off, so the knees get a rest inbetween), my knees really got stronger and more able to handle stuff (as long as I'm doing the exercise properly - don't let your knees go past your toes!).

But I agree that just jumping into the Shred and doing it everyday like your supposed to can be a killer on the knees, and some people probably can never do it.
  • here_I_go_again
    here_I_go_again Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to post this. I'm sure it will help many people!:flowerforyou: