Dry DAMAGED HAIR

Options
Hey Guys,

I know this is supposed to be a fitness blog, however, I was wondering if anyone had homemade recipes for dry damaged colored hair? I color my hair 2x a month and straighten it everyday with flat iron. I have very long wavy hair and now they are all damaged.
I will color it again this weekend since last weekend I messed it up and it turned red, but after that I will be slowing down and coloring it every 4-6 months (hopefully)
I have used egg yolk, olive oil and honey and left it on for 30 hours, and haven’t used any heat or flat iron on it since last weekend.
Any treatments that I could purchase from Amazon?
Barlean's Organic Oils Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, 16-Ounce Jar seemed pretty good from the reviews, has anyone tried it?

Thanks for the advices!

Have a great day!

Replies

• corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Biolage makes a great conditioning balm. Wet hair, put that on, wrap in a warm towel, leave for 10mins or so. Rinse. Leave in conditioners will help and a heat barrier when you're flat ironing. Kenra makes a great one.

Product is your best defense if you're going to do all that to your hair. A good conditioner, better coloring products, heat defense products and a good brush. Make sure the bristles are all intact and not stripping your hair too.

And definitely slow down the coloring! :)
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Just be nicer to it! Let it air dry once in a while. Get regular trims..
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    ^This. I used to be a slave to the straight iron. I, too, have wavy hair, and I honestly don't like how it dries naturally. However, my hair was being destroyed, so now, I pretty much either run some styling wax through it when damp to help enhance the natural texture and air dry, OR, let it air dry for about 10-15 minutes, then blow dry it straight, stopping once my hair is completely dry. If I don't wait to long to blow dry it, there's no need for the flat iron.

And like another poster said, if you're going to do alot of heat styling, heat protection products and leave in conditioners are your best friend.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    After washing and conditioning use a leave in conditioner that has a thermal protectant. Some Argan oil from mid shaft to the ends helps too. Comb (not brush) it in and leave it alone to air dry. Try using a semi perm. hair color since you use them so often.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I use Argan Hair Oil (23$ at grocery stores, but you can get it cheaper online). Don't even use conditioner anymore. A couple times I used conditioner and the oil and my hair felt greasy.

Now I use just the oil, and my hair is smooth, smells great, shiny! I use just under a quarter sized amount. Any more and your hair will feel greasy from being over-moisturized.

My roommate used to swear by Moroccan Hair Oil http://www.amazon.com/Moroccan-Intense-Hydrating-Mask-Ounce/dp/B002N5MKMG/ref=pd_sim_bt_3. She dyed her hair a lot, straightened it, curled it, it began falling out. She used this mask once a week for a month and her hair went back to normal. It smells fantastic too.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I've never tried that one but I have tried Queen Helene's Cholesterol treatment and it works fantastic! Slather it in your hair, cover your head with a heated damp towel (just put it in the microwave for a minute) and let it sit for...I think it's at least 15 minutes then rinse. I've left it in for an hour before and it works evern better.

I'd also recommend using a daily shampoo and conditioner that are really creamy and moisturizing. I've tried several salon and drug store brands and my favorite by far is Herbal Essence Hydrology shampoo and conditioner. I also sometimes switch to using Aussie's 3 minute miracle conditioner if I feel like my hair's needs an extra treatment. I haven't used it in a while but the only salon product I liked was Biolage's "the conditioner" and I used that mostly as a leave-in.

One other tip, shampoo and slather the conditioner on when you first get into the shower then let the conditioner sit in your hair while you clean your body, shave your legs, etc. Gives it a chance to really work.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I'm forever on the hunt for hair products that work against this. My problem is my hair is naturally curly, and thick, and even I even think the word "humidity" my hair starts to puff out and frizz. Standing outside in humid air for even 5 minutes can undo 2 hours worth of straightening efforts. It's a hassle. And with northern winters being so cold and dry, straightening it every day is out of the question.

My only solution has been leave in conditioners and heat defense products, and even those don't always work, so most days I throw in some gel when it's wet, "scrunch" it a few times with my hands and go. Saves me about an hour of prep time when I do that, and it's easier on my hair.
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Moroccan Oil? I use the leave in product after I shower then the deep conditioner once every couple of weeks.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

This doesn't always have a lot to do with it. I have damaged hair and I NEVER use heat of any kind and I get regular trims.