Must haves vs would like to have

Options
Hi everyone! I am just starting out on this journey (about 4 weeks in) and have a considerable amount to lose.

I have a few questions about the trackers, the apps, etc. I have been researching BodyMedia, FitBit, Polar, HRM, etc. My question to everyone is "Is there an app(s) that you can't live without or wished you would of gotten sooner?" Would overall progress be increased/improved if ____ was used?

I am a gadget person but don't like to purchase something only for it to be put on the shelf and forgotten.

Any advice/suggestions that you'd like to add would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

SherrySK

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    The farther I get, the less I care about stuff like my heart rate monitor, or specific apps.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    For me...

1. MFP
    2. My phone for MFP when I am out
    3. Food scale

I would like to have a HRM for a little more accurate count of my TDEE, but it is not vital.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I have a HRM and have amazing success with that. I do not have a food scale because I'm doing well enough that I feel like being off a few here or there is ok for the time being. I also don't ever want to be that person who obsesses and I have an obsessive personality. To make up the error I just round down when logging my workouts.

On the phone I have MFP installed and endomondo from before I got the hrm. I still use it if I run outside, but it's cold now so that's on the backburner.
  • lamarnnem
    Options
    For me: MFP
    HRM I know they are guesstimates but I like seeing how high I can get my heart rate during my workouts.
    Pre workout drinks
    Post workout drinks
    And my cool water bottle (it keeps me chugging all day).

Good luck on your journey. It's not the destination but the journey that's important.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Of all the stuff I've bought/tried, the stuff I actually use regularly is:

My HRM - every day.
    The MFP app
    GymGoal (a lifting app - there might be better ones but it's the one I like)
    And theoretically my food scale, although it seems to have disappeared, not sure what happened there, my husband swears he hasn't touched it and of course the kids have no idea what I'm talking about. But food scale, very important.

It helps to figure out what your needs really are first and then figure out what you need to fix them - I have a bunch of stuff that seemed like a good idea at the time but I either didn't really need it or already had something that was filling the need better. Start with things to measure your energy intake/expenditure, and then you can see which side of that you need to work on and what would help you with that.
  • dream_big
    dream_big Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    1. MFP app
    2. HRM (polar ft4)
    3. C25K
  • CINDYRN33
    CINDYRN33 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    my must have is my HR monitor, It makes me confident that I am getting a reasonably accurate number of calories burned so that I can eat some of them calories back without guessing at how many I burned (since MFP) really overestimates calories burned on here. BTW i have a polar ft7 and love it, its not too techy(neither am I) simple and easy to use.
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    you don't need any gadgets

Some helpful tools...

1. food scale - i don't have one, but not a bad idea if you really want to be granular about your serving sizes
    2. MFP on phone - only for convenience, particularly being able to scan bar codes
    3. Heart Rate Monitor - I just got one, but for the two months before I started P90X, I didnt use one and I lost 17lbs

body fat measure of some sort? How far are you looking to go? Is it really necessary? I don't think so. I don't believe these new fancy scales can be accurate at all with all the different body types out there.

Do you really need a scale that sends your weight to your phone?

all the rest just seems really gimmicky to me
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    my MFP iPhone app
    my $15 food scale from Amazon
    lots of tupperware for lunches
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Must have?
    - MFP site
    - MFP app on the phone
    - Food Scale
    - determination
    - fitted running shoes
    - runkeeper

aside from that, I can get by without most everything else.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    The farther I get, the less I care about stuff like my heart rate monitor, or specific apps.
    this. i used to be really into my HRM now the battery has died and i havent been motivated to send it out to get it replaced.

one of the things that i noticed is that gadgets and apps tend to get in the way of my workout.

i do use a HIIT/tabata timer app on my phone and that's pretty good.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I have a stupidphone, so no apps for me.

My one must have - a digital food scale. Got one for $30, worth every penny. It has made all this tracking so much easier - no more guessing!

Nice to have - a HRM. I have a polar FT7 - love it!
  • vadarvs
    vadarvs Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just recently bought a Polar HRM FX60 and I love it. I wish I would have bought one a long time ago when I first started working out. My weight loss record on MFP isn't anything significant, so hopefully with my new gadget I will be able to record some weight loss. I'm using MFP to track my body fat % and measurements too (I don't know if that's public info though - I haven't set it for public or private)
  • sarymerejo
    sarymerejo Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    MFP app on my phone
    HRM (FT7)
    iPod - blasting some music gets me through my workout
  • LennyInFlorida
    Options
    Ofcourse any of these are not necessary, but for me, they are:

1. digital food scale - I have been measuring for years and when I attempt to stop i always gain weight back lol
    2. MFP -- studies show that people who keep food journals not only lose weight BUT KEEP IT OFF
    3. Heart Rate Monitor - This will show you how many calories you are burning (on avg.)

On a side note, I compare calories a lot to other sites as MFP's user submitted calories are crazy different sometimes for the same food sometimes...
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    Options
    MFP and smartphone app
    Food Scale
    Digital glass home scale set on a hard piece of tile *to be sure that it isn't uneven, which can cause weird readings)
    Tape and sheets for monthly weigh and measure.

I have had the urge to buy into Bodymedia fit or a HRM but I spoke with my mom (who has been into fitness for 10 years and is actually taking that next step to become a personal trainer) and she said unless I am not losing weight even with a healthy calorie deficiant than I don't really need it. She said if I was concerned about how many calories I am actually burning in a day then I can buy in, however, I exercise a lot and my weight isn't stalling yet so as of now It would just verify that I am doing things right..

And to be honest, I may never buy into one.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    For me...

1. MFP
    2. My phone for MFP when I am out
    3. Food scale
    This plus disposable reuseable glad containers. I have 1 cup ones that have marks on that side at 1/2 cup. This makes making lunches for things like cottage cheese, applesauce, yogurt, super easy to portion out.

I have a bluetooth HRM and I love to use it with my phone for mapping and tracking outside running. I also use my phone for music and watching video when doing elliptical or treadmill.
  • Wyoruby
    Wyoruby Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I love my HRM with the chest strap it gives you a way more accurate calorie burn!! I also use a food scale on and off to help measure mainly meats out. I really do want to get the bodymedia fit for christmas :love: just to help me be more accurate on how much I'm actually burning during the day and not just when I'm workng out.

ANd of course the mfp app on my phone so I can put in food while I'm away from my house!!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I like MFP because it is easier than logging all of my calories, fat, etc. by hand--something I did for three years. Other than that, I would say almost nothing. I lost 100 pounds with nothing more than a descent food data base (not unlike the one on MFP), Notepad, and a food scale.
  • ImprovingEla
    ImprovingEla Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    MFP both on computer and phone
    foodscale
    and I used the runkeeper app, now the runtastic (simply because later is connected with mfp) use them for tracking distance and speed rather then the burned calories!