Is Splenda good or no?

Options
I just started using Splenda not too sure if that's a good Idea or if I should keep on with my Raw sugar anyone?

Replies

• petechiae
    petechiae Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I use Splenda (sucralose) for my coffee, because it's lower in calories than the real stuff. Tastes as good, in my opinion. I think raw sugar is more natural, so if you can afford the extra calories I would pick that.

Scientists are not too sure about the long term effects of sucralose on the human body, so to be honest I am considering giving it up too. It's also made with aspartame... Recent studies in Europe show that aspartame use can result in an accumulation of formaldehyde in the brain, which can damage your central nervous system and immune system and cause genetic trauma. The FDA admits this is true, but claims the amount is low enough in most that it shouldn’t raise concern. Scary.

Some people have pretty bad side effects from that substance. Nothing too serious, but migraines, cramps, mood swings... Never experienced any of those, but it's worth being concerned about.

Here is a very honest article about this: http://www.womentowomen.com/healthyweight/splenda.aspx
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    NO!!!!!!!! Stay away from sugar substitutes. Any manmade sugar alternatives are horrible for us. Although there haven't been enough studies conducted to difinitively say yes or no, anything that is a manmade chemical is not good for you. It a poison. Here is one article that may help you to decide. http://www.womentowomen.com/healthyweight/splenda.aspx

I for one am not going to take the chance. There are so many things that go into our bodies that we can't control, but this is one we can. I would much rather use real sugar and just control the amount I use.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Haha petechiae, I just saw your posting. Wow, what a coincidence that we've read the same article.
  • Anclote
    Anclote Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    NO.
    Sugar substitutes like aspartame were put up to the FDA no less than EIGHT TIMES and was denied because it's so unhealthy. (It gives rats cancer, so it might give you cancer, too...) Here is a video on why sugar substitutes are so awful. Copy and paste in your browser:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hpoAtwVyzZI
    There are plenty of substitutes for sugar that do not spike your glycemic index like raw sugar does. You can buy a bottle of agave nectar (there are many varieties, each one has its own subtle and different flavor) for like $7 which lasts a really long time. Maple syrup in moderation is better than sugar. HONEY! Is better than sugar. If you really want to go ZERO calories, try stevia. You can buy it at your health food store, and it is natural, and it doesn't resemble battery acid in pH like Splenda or Equal do.

Do some research, and eat as NATURALLY as you can :)))
    xo

An
  • JessicaBR0
    JessicaBR0 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    No!! Raw sugar is much better! How much sugar do you use on a daily basis? I'm assuming not cups of it, so it is probably isn't going to affect your calorie intake that much if you use the raw sugar.
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    Splenda gives me horrible gas; if eaten in say a splenda ice cream bar.

I say stay away and stick to real sugar.

I try to avoid all artificial sweeteners along with high fructose corn syrup.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    NO!!!!!!!! Stay away from sugar substitutes. Any manmade sugar alternatives are horrible for us. Although there haven't been enough studies conducted to difinitively say yes or no, anything that is a manmade chemical is not good for you. It a poison.Here is one article that may help you to decide. http://www.womentowomen.com/healthyweight/splenda.aspx

I for one am not going to take the chance. There are so many things that go into our bodies that we can't control, but this is one we can. I would much rather use real sugar and just control the amount I use.

So all manmade chemicals are bad for you and a poison, even though you admit there is nothing to really support that?
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    No!! Raw sugar is much better! How much sugar do you use on a daily basis? I'm assuming not cups of it, so it is probably isn't going to affect your calorie intake that much if you use the raw sugar.

Agreed. This is my thought on fake sugar: If you are using so much added sugar in your daily life that one teaspoon of real sugar at 15 calories is breaking your diet, then the real issue is your diet, not the sugar. Look inward to see why you are eating so much added sugar and what you can do to reduce your intake.

With that said, I will never give up my one teaspoon of real sugar every morning in my coffee :tongue:
  • quitter1973
    quitter1973 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I use sweet and low in tea only. I know it causes cancer in rats but its been around forever...
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Depends. Are you diabetic? Does your family have a history of diabetes? If you can use sugar safely and have the calories to do so, use it. If you are diabetic or have a low calorie threshold use one of the low calorie sweeteners.

I'm diabetic, so I use aspartame. Splenda isn't sweet at all to me, so it's pretty much useless.
  • CarmenSRT
    Options
    NO!!!!!!!! Stay away from sugar substitutes. Any manmade sugar alternatives are horrible for us. Although there haven't been enough studies conducted to difinitively say yes or no, anything that is a manmade chemical is not good for you. It a poison.Here is one article that may help you to decide. http://www.womentowomen.com/healthyweight/splenda.aspx

So all manmade chemicals are bad for you and a poison, even though you admit there is nothing to really support that?

Guy, you're up against a belief. Beliefs are impervious to facts, research, studies and logic. They are their own reason for existing.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Depends. Are you diabetic? Does your family have a history of diabetes? If you can use sugar safely and have the calories to do so, use it. If you are diabetic or have a low calorie threshold use one of the low calorie sweeteners.

I'm diabetic, so I use aspartame. Splenda isn't sweet at all to me, so it's pretty much useless.

Being diabetic or having a family hx of diabetes is not an automatic reason to use artificial sweetners. A tsp of sugar is = 5 grams of carbohydrate. The body sees 5g of CHO coming from sugar the same as 5g CHO coming from starch..BTW
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    NO.
    Sugar substitutes like aspartame were put up to the FDA no less than EIGHT TIMES and was denied because it's so unhealthy. (It gives rats cancer, so it might give you cancer, too...) Here is a video on why sugar substitutes are so awful. Copy and paste in your browser:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hpoAtwVyzZI
    There are plenty of substitutes for sugar that do not spike your glycemic index like raw sugar does. You can buy a bottle of agave nectar (there are many varieties, each one has its own subtle and different flavor) for like $7 which lasts a really long time. Maple syrup in moderation is better than sugar. HONEY! Is better than sugar. If you really want to go ZERO calories, try stevia. You can buy it at your health food store, and it is natural, and it doesn't resemble battery acid in pH like Splenda or Equal do.

Do some research, and eat as NATURALLY as you can :)))
    xo

An

Better avoid water too, look at this inforgraphic

thumbs_tumblr-2934-e7fc1769-sz500x428-animate.jpg
  • gddrdld
    Options
    I use Splenda (sucralose) for my coffee, because it's lower in calories than the real stuff. Tastes as good, in my opinion. I think raw sugar is more natural, so if you can afford the extra calories I would pick that.

Scientists are not too sure about the long term effects of sucralose on the human body, so to be honest I am considering giving it up too. It's also made with aspartame... Recent studies in Europe show that aspartame use can result in an accumulation of formaldehyde in the brain, which can damage your central nervous system and immune system and cause genetic trauma. The FDA admits this is true, but claims the amount is low enough in most that it shouldn’t raise concern. Scary.

Some people have pretty bad side effects from that substance. Nothing too serious, but migraines, cramps, mood swings... Never experienced any of those, but it's worth being concerned about.

Here is a very honest article about this: http://www.womentowomen.com/healthyweight/splenda.aspx

You are confused here...Splenda (brand name) is Sucralose...Nutrasweet (brand name) is Aspartame. There is NO aspartame in Splenda.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Could you please provide the link or further details of the studies in Europe (they are not cited in the link you provided).

I have experienced people having reactions to peanuts, but as I do not, I eat them. (I would use shellfish as an example also but as I am a vegetarian I actually do not eat it).
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I think I got this from SideSteel, just want to give credit where due:

Aspartame is broken down into phenylalanine, aspartic acid, and methanol. Phenylalanine and Aspartic Acid are amino acids and there's a much higher concentration of these aminos in a measly 4oz chicken breast than there is in diet soda. 1 Banana will yield more methanol than a 12oz can of soda. The dosage limits that can cause any issues are VERY HIGH, and you'd have to consume massive amounts to even detect any increased levels in a blood test. Cliffs: Diet soda is fine if you don't get headaches from it, and a very small % of people do.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17828671
  • CarmenSRT
    Options

Being diabetic or having a family hx of diabetes is not an automatic reason to use artificial sweetners. A tsp of sugar is = 5 grams of carbohydrate. The body sees 5g of CHO coming from sugar the same as 5g CHO coming from starch..BTW

Except it doesn't. Starches and simple sugars such as glucose and sucrose do not metabolize at the same rate or exactly the same way. So I know how best to proceed with the explanation, may I ask how much college biology and chemistry you have in your background?
  • gddrdld
    Options

Except it doesn't. Starches and simple sugars such as glucose and sucrose do not metabolize at the same rate or exactly the same way. So I know how best to proceed with the explanation, may I ask how much college biology and chemistry you have in your background?

Yes, you can. I have a Bachelors of Science in Nutrition Science and a Masters of Science in Human Environmental Sciences. I have been a Reg. Dietitian and Board Certified Diabetes Educator for almost 18 years...Thanks for asking. :)
  • Carrievaught
    Options
    I use splenda, but only because my sugar intake is high! I'm talking a 4lb bag of sugar in less than a month. When I use splenda in my coffee I only use half a packet compared to a teaspoon per cup. I drink a lot of coffee. Almost all through the day. I'm even having to cut back on my cream because of calories now. I don't like sweet n low, or anything else like that, but splenda tastes better to me.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I have bad reactions to it. I use xylitol or stevia.