Availability of Unhealthy Food in College

Options
I'm 18 years old and in college. 5'8" and have crept from 126 to 136 pounds throughout the semester. My biggest problem is unhealthy options at a small dining hall, as well as emotional eating. When I'm eating with my friends in the dining hall, meals consisting of pizza and cookies all too often. When I see someone else having unhealthy meals, it makes me feel like I should too to fit in socially. I exercise regularly, but am still really struggling with the weight gain. Any ideas? What are some tricks to feel full so I don't want unhealthy options, or simply tips to resist the unhealthy options?

Replies

• eJane13
    eJane13 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hey! Finally a fellow college student : ) I used to have the same problem but just recently started to really get serious about getting healthy & fit.

I try to always eat a salad loaded up with veggies & 8 out of 10 times I used oil & vinegar to dress it. It makes you feel fuller faster so you won't overload on whatever else you'll eat that night. I always try to get one healthy side (or the healthiest offered) with my meal. Something else I've been doing lately is only getting one plate of food at a time, that way I have time to process if I'm still hungry before getting up to get another plate. & the one thing I always do no matter what is I never drink soda! Why waste calories on a drink? Get water or unsweetend ice tea or another, better alternative to soda/sugary drinks.

Also, I always get one dessert a day. It sounds counter-productive but it's only after lunch or dinner, not both! & it's a small snack like 1-2 cookies, or one rice krispie treat, or one small slice of cake. I try to stick to the smaller things. I never feel deprived & I get my snack/sweet fix.

Do you live off campus where you can prepare some healthy options at home? Or if you live on campus you can stock up on fruits and healthy snacks for your dorm : )

For exercise make you sure you don't stick to one workout or your body will get used to it. Switch up your days with cardio and strength. Muscle burns calories

Hope this helps!!!!!
  • isitsororo
    Options
    Don't fixate on the availability of unhealthy items. Instead, focus your attention on the availability of healthful items that also comes with your average college dining hall. Sandwiches, low fat soups, salads, fruit. Redirect your focus. I have found it easier to avoid junk at college because of this even though there is more junk here than at home.
  • ashmatt24
    ashmatt24 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue when I was in school. My situation was a little different - I lived off campus and only ate lunch in the dining hall. I struggled with finding healthy, yummy, and affordable snacks to eat while on campus for the day. I really had to educate myself on fruits and veggies, granola options, healthier drinks (I'm one who gets tired of plain water all day), and how to make a healthy lunch from all those buffet style option in the dining hall. I didn't come from a household that stressed eating well! Usually I would make a sandwich, but only use one piece of the giant bread the school used, with turkey and half a piece of cheese and lots of veggies, and a salad. But over time as I learned about portion control I could eat pasta or some pizza in moderation, paired with a big salad or some green beans or other veggies being offered. Who knows, if you start showing concern for your health and nutrition ( stress the weight less), your new college friends might follow suit.
  • hjensen2263
    hjensen2263 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I do live in the dorms, but have a small fridge and microwave. I try to keep healthy snacks in my room (eggs, yogurt, fruit, veggies, etc...) but find myself rationing them because of cost. The dining hall is super small and the only fruit offered regularly is apples, oranges, and bananas. There is also a salad bar. Other than that, there is cereal, peanut butter and bread, pizza, dessert, and one entree that gets rotated every meal (it's a really small college!) I simply find myself getting bored with the food options.

I have tried eating desserts occasionally, but have a lot of trouble with starting with one cooking and before I know it, it's grown to 6 plus ice cream. Then of course I feel horrible and guilty and skip dinner, so I'm ravenous in the morning. It's a vicious cycle that I'm definitely not proud of and need to break free from, because I am very aware that it is NOT healthy. How do you stop after 1 small dessert? Is it simply self control, do I need to be harder and more firm with myself? Or is there some kind of a trick? I've heard of the three bite rule, but have never been able to actually limit myself to three bites.

This is all new for me. As a kid, I was always super skinny and could eat whatever I wanted without problem. Now, my woman's body is starting to catch up with me, and I want to stop it before it gets out of hand. Also, I am an exercise science major, so I feel like I should be a role model for my friends. I'm just stuck in this cycle!
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    They should have salads available, if not get cheese or veggie pizza. Replace one meal everyday with only a salad, light low fat dressing and water. If youre living on res maybe you can walk to a grocery store and buy fresh fruit that you can eat instead of cookies. Only drink water. Avoid snacking between classes/meals. Avoid snacking when studying, I'm a first year and snacking while studying is what really gets you, it's killer!
  • beanerific518
    Options
    Are you forced to buy a meal plan? If not, skip the meal plan and use that money on nutritious whole foods you can make in your dorm room. Get a hot pot and a george forman grill. On top of the microwave and small refrigerator you already have, you will be set. Since your major is exercise science, how cool would it be to suggest to your professors to make an assignment for upping the nutritional content of the food available on campus?!
  • hjensen2263
    hjensen2263 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    That's a good idea about talking to my professors! I'm on the Ex Sci advisory board, so maybe I could actually make a difference in health and wellness campus wide! That would be so cool, to actually make a difference! And I have looked at at least going down from the full meal plan to the partial meal plan next semester. That is in my plan for the future. Thanks for the awesome ideas!