How to stay motivated>>>>>

Options
Hello Everyone, I am 25 years old and weight 315 pounds which i am so embarrased to even type. I love food what can i say. I also like to see results over night and get very discouraged. I have a loving boyfriend who says i am beautiful just that way i am but i sure dont feel that way. I just started this journey yet again as i am sure many of us have been on numerous diets and lifestyle changes. I am really hoping to stick to this one as i want to be healthy. Diebetes runs in the family and i know there are many other risks with being obese. Also i would love to have kids but not at this weight.
Just looking for some new friends who are trying for the same goal.
:)

Replies

• maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    youre right about diabetes.. im a nurse and i took care of a woman who was only 57. she was obese and of course had a really bad diet . her left leg was amputated below the knee because of uncontrolled diabetes. three years later i left the facility and she was about to have her right leg amputated below the knee because she continued on the pathway of destruction with a bad diet . she had to be lifted out of bed with a lift and toileted by staff because she was unable to toilet herself. she also depended on staff to give her a shower . her whole life was ripped from her at a young age because she refused to lose weight and live a healthier lifestyle.. you are young and beautiful .. take one day at a time . dont think of tomorrow ..just today for now. plan your meals for the day and stick to it . if i wing it i go off the beaten path. if i plan the day out im more inclined to stick to it
  • ashbrowning
    Options
    That story hits close to home. My oma had her leg amputated because of diebetes and I dont ever want to be there. And my Grandma is incillin dependent 3x a day. That is not a life i want to lead.

I started at the gym this week as well and I am one of those people that feels like if i dont see results in the first week i feel the need to just give up.
  • alycat1990
    alycat1990 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I felt that way too... I still need to loose 50lbs after loosing so many, so I too needed to find ways to stay motivated. Sometimes it makes things easier to focus on smaller goals rather then the big final goal. What I learned in school was that smaller more achievable goals are easier to achieve then something large and seemingly unattainable. Like make a goal each week, to keep yourself motivated. It doesnt even have to be lbs lost goal - it could be my goal this week is to do cardio 3 days... my goal is to have carbs before lunch for 2 days... or I want to take 35 minutes to eat each meal today. ( the longer you take to eat the fuller you will feel) little tiny things like that - help me stay motivated because its goals that will eventually lead to weight loss - but at the same time its not as scary as saying to myself "jeese ive only lost 5lbs I still have this many more to go.". It also helps with the lifestyle change.

Also researching has helped me stay motivated - learning new things about health and fitness, from the forums on here or just from other places online. and reading others success stories and their battles.

Clothing wise - maybe even buy something a few sizes small not something tiny, or even use an old top that you used to like... or something you like that would fit a bit tight on you - and after a month try it back on :)... I did that with a pair of jeans that when I bought them they were super tight... then in the summer they wouldnt fit past my butt... now they fit fine :) took 4 months but each month I tried them back on to see my results and hard work, it felt really nice!

having the big picture of the numbers on the scale can be very intimidating, and discouraging - just try to focus on the other things that come with the lifestyle and the weight loss will follow. :)

Hope this all helps!
  • tjah32
    tjah32 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about loving food! Especially when limiting yourself, and feeling like you're making no progress, it's like, well I might as well just eat what I want then!

Losing weight is so much more about the mentality of it, and that's the hardest part to change. It's "simple" in that it's just, eat fewer calories then you burn, it's just simple math. But getting it through the psyche that this is a good thing, and no I really don't want/need those french fries, is the really daunting part!

Good luck to you, and feel free to add me if you need more motivation!
  • ashbrowning
    Options
    I think that is my problem i am beyond focused on the weight loss number instead of the long term. I know i need to make lifestyle changes which i have started its just etched in my head that results on the scale need to be seen.
    I have tons of support so i really want to stick to it this time.
  • cznutz
    cznutz Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Changes won't come so quickly. This is a lifestyle change and you need to be commited to eating better and getting your body moving. Sure, you will have setbacks, we all do. Just don't let them derail you on the long and short-term goals you have. Don't get discouraged, people here can help you with that.
  • alycat1990
    alycat1990 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Exactly :) Remember that saying appreciate the small things in life? well thats what it seems like you need to do :) appreciate the small things you are doing along the way... those small goals will help you change your life around gradually and help you in the long run with the lifestyle change, and help you get to that big finish line. :)

We are all here to support you, and you will find the other people on here are amazing - who like yourself are having the same issues.
  • ashbrowning
    Options
    Aly you when i read your messages i feel like your talking like you dont know me hahaha
  • ashbrowning
    Options
    I understand it being a lifestyle change just the first week is always the struggle lol
    I know deep down that this time i can do it. :smile: