empty stomach cardio

Options
Is it true what they say about empty stomach workouts in the morning? Does it really burn more fat? Or is it just a myth?

Replies

• logansmom6106
    logansmom6106 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I dont know if I burn more fat when I do an early am workout or what but I do feel like my energy level is alot higher during the day. I get up about 45 mins early and do a 2 mile walk in 30 mins then a 15 min cool down. So maybe Im killing 2 birds with one stone by working out early.
  • LadySavage
    Options
    Becky, i googled your question and here's what i found:

http://exercise.about.com/od/weightloss/f/emptystomach.htm
  • docwasch
    docwasch Posts: 19
    Options
    I have read that too. Bio-chemically, it takes about 20 minutes of running(more or less depending on your body and fitness level) to switch from burning mostly glycogen to mostly fat. I remember this from a great book Fit or Fat by Covert Bailey. That being said, I can only speak as an authority on my own personal experience. When I did my cardio before I ate breakfast I dropped weight the fastest! That's just me, your results and mileage my vary. lol Give it a try for say 2 weeks and then compare it to your regular program keeping all other variable as consistant as you can and see what happens.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    It doesn't hurt to eat about 100 calories 20 minutes or so before a workout, it will give you fuel. think of your body like a car, no gas no go. You will burn fat if you keep within your calorie range for the day and get your heart rate up and eat a healthy sensible diet regardless of when you eat or don't.