Morning Exercise Vs Evening

Options
I realize its easier for me to get up early and exercise but its sometimes challenging in the evenings. I do exercise in the evening most times but realize I'm not as motivated or have the energy for it.
Wondering if I should focus more of my workout in the mornings and take it slow in the evenings

Replies

• JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Do whatever works best for you. Personally I do better if I get my exercise in during the beginning of the day. I'm more motivated and my body isn't tired. By the evening my body is already getting ready for bed and it's a LOT harder to push myself to even go work out.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I do both. I normally do something that constitutes exercise twice a day, with one workout (whether resistance or cardio) being high intensity in nature, while the other is low/moderate intensity.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I make it to the gym everyday about the same time I have a 2 hour window
    when I'm training for a show I do a split an hour in the morning and then my afternoon I always find it hard to wake up and go to the gym. although once I'm into it, I love the way it starts my day
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Whichever fits your schedule and temperament.

I'm more of a morning person and love to get out for a run nice and early. For strength training I prefer the evening.....go figure.
  • sydimar
    sydimar Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I was wondering if one time of day was more effective than the other
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I have read all sorts of studies and opinions etc regarding when to work out. Ultimately, the differences have been minor at best and are really nit picking over maximizing things.

The best time to work out is the time YOU actually feel best about going. Think of it this way... Not going is 0 points, going is 100 points, optimizing the time will add like 2 or 3 points. This is 100% unscientific way of looking at it, but helps people understand that the most important thing is to go and go consistently.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Exercise when you feel best. For me, that's morning. Mentally and physically I do better if I get my workout done first thing. The only exception for me to that is yoga ~ I find I'm much more bendy and can get a better yoga session in if I do it in hte evenings. But, if I'm aiming to burn calories, lift weights - all those things are best done early for me.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I do it in the evenings on my way home from work. I can't make myself get up any earlier...
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I have read all sorts of studies and opinions etc regarding when to work out. Ultimately, the differences have been minor at best and are really nit picking over maximizing things.

The best time to work out is the time YOU actually feel best about going. Think of it this way... Not going is 0 points, going is 100 points, optimizing the time will add like 2 or 3 points. This is 100% unscientific way of looking at it, but helps people understand that the most important thing is to go and go consistently.

Very true.
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I am quite the opposite and don't feel like I get the full benefit of an early morning work out.

I think you should do what feels good for you! =)