When does Exercise become an every day activity?

Options
We all exercise and log it as exercise and then either eat or not eat the extra calories. And from what I've read and gathered on here, Exercise is defined as anything done outside your normal, every day activity, correct? But what if exercising IS a normal, every day activity for you? What about the people who exercise EVERY day? When do you stop counting your exercise as Exercise?

Replies

• hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Good Question! I would be interested in hearing others responses. I walk my dogs everyday, two to three times a day. Since I do this EVERYDAY, I only log about 1/3 of the time that I spend doing it.

But when I am doing Turbo Fire, or playing Volleyball, or working up a good sweat, then I log every bit of it!
  • MrsHyland
    MrsHyland Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    From what I have gathered, it depends on how you set your activity level. If your activity level is set to sedentary, then you should log your exercise. If you set it to active because you work out everyday, then I wouldn't log it because MFP already factors it in and gives you more calories.
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    i think that if you do it regularly, you should have your activity level set higher...and then you don't log your exercise. that's what i do at least.

i'm set to active and i only log my exercise if i do something extra that day...i don't log my normal workouts. or if i had my activity level set to sedentary i'd log all exercise, if that makes sense.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    if you are sweating, you are exercising, lol. If you're smiling and joking you're not.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Interesting and valid question.

You stop logging exercise when you adjust your activity level to include it.

If I used a TDEE based approach my maintenance would be somewhere around 2,700 cal daily, knock off 500 per day to lose 1lb week and I get pretty much the same result (on average) as using MFP (sedentary) estimate of 1,650 plus exercise calories.
  • punkinkat
    punkinkat Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    ITA with Mrs. Hyland; if you are typically an active person you should consider setting your activity level to "active," and then only log what you think goes above and beyond your typical daily exercise. I also tend to agree with hauer01; if you are able to get a good sweat going, I think you can safely log it as "exercise."

Me, I'm kind of a lazy creature by nature, so I set my activity level to "sedentary" and then log just about everything I do as "exercise" -- a walk with the doggy, my fitness DVDs, and even house cleaning :)
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I am active every day but workouts are dedicated times where I put on some gear, crank up some tunes and move with a plan. Make sense?

Everyday activities like walking to work (a 3.8 mile walk), walking to and from the gym, the grocery store etc., walking my dog, cleaning my apartment, and so on and so forth serve to make me change my activity settings to "lightly active" from "sedentary".
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    We all exercise and log it as exercise and then either eat or not eat the extra calories. And from what I've read and gathered on here, Exercise is defined as anything done outside your normal, every day activity, correct? But what if exercising IS a normal, every day activity for you? What about the people who exercise EVERY day? When do you stop counting your exercise as Exercise?
    It's still exercise
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I work an office job so I have MFP set to sedintary. I work out hard 5 days a week, moderate one, and one rest. So yeah it's a daily thing now but I won't change MFP beacuse I *like* to log my exersise. Looking at the number this way helps me understand. Plus some days I work harder or burn more than others. It's easier for me like this.

The daily stair walking or dog walking I don't log because I did that before. Otherwise, if my heart rate jumps up, I log it.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I have an office job so I set my activity level as sedentary and log all exercise. I also don't exercise every day though, more like 5-6 days a week. I don't eat exercise cals back, I just log the exercise to keep track of my workout minutes.
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options

Your original statement is flawed. Not everyone exercises (I'm guessing about 1/4 do not exercise). In regards to "Daily activity" I think "Workplace activity" would of been a better choice of words. MFP wants to know what your day to day work environment is like. Do you work behind a desk all day? That would be "Sedentary". Is your workplace activity very active/strenuous (Work in a warehouse with a lot of lifting? Walk a lot as a postal carrier, etc)? That way MFP will set your daily caloric needs higher as one clearly burns more calories at a more active job.

Then, as one exercises (regardless of calling it a "routine"), you can log it in the exercise portion of the website. If one chooses, if you exercise daily, then set your daily activity to the most active and not log in (and eat back) your exercise calories.

The important thing is to not double count your exercising. Either have it in the "Daily activity" section or logged separately in the "Exercise" section. As I do not exercise every day (and I take a week off once every 10 weeks), I would rather list my activity level as sedentary (as I work behind a desk) and log in my exercise during those days I exercise.

To answer your question listed in the subject line, I exercised 6 days a week right from the get go. It became a habit after 3-4 weeks.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I have not exercised 3 days since January. I still have my activity level set to sedentary and log my exercise. My activity level could be set higher and I'd get a higher calorie budget but then if I want to take it easy I wouldn't be active that day and I'd be annoyed my numbers are off.

Those 3 days... food poisioning, 5 alarm hangover, serious need for a rest day after back-to-back-to-back races.
  • nathan6878
    nathan6878 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Exercise for me has just become a daily thing, because if I don't get a decent workout in everyday it just feels like there is something missing!!! Yes I may workout a combo of two hours but it has become a two hour workout that I have really started to enjoy. It is even better when I am able to jump on that scale and either have stayed the same or lost some weight!!! I have made it down to my goal weight and I contribute that two getting some great workouts in, but also being fairly decent on what I do eat, but then enjoying myself during the weekend!! lol
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I personally define exercising as Cardio (biking, running, boxing, etc.) or Weightlifting. Everything else is ADL (Activities of Daily Living) e.g. Cleaning, Shopping, etc. and I do not count these as exercise because they don't take a real physical effort for me to perform.

Edit - Forgot to add I usually do what I define as "exericising" 5-6 days a week.
  • sin485
    sin485 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    well when it asks you how active you are in your lifestyle you wouldnt put sedentary you would put the next one up? thats what id do
  • I work out 6 days a week. I only count exercise as an activity that raises my heart rate above 140. Im a stay at home mom so most of my days consist of chasing a toddler and cleaning the house. I dont put those down as exercise. Some days I have to stack and haul wood, I dont count that as exercise.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    if you are sweating, you are exercising, lol. If you're smiling and joking you're not.

What if you do both at the same time? I can work up a good sweat and smile while I do it :-)
  • Lex_Boogie
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week. I only count exercise as an activity that raises my heart rate above 140. Im a stay at home mom so most of my days consist of chasing a toddler and cleaning the house. I dont put those down as exercise. Some days I have to stack and haul wood, I dont count that as exercise.

I think using your heart rate to gage whether an activity constitutes "exercising" is a great idea, but what about time when taking your heart rate isn't convinient or you do not have a heart rate monitor?

For example, I'm new to MFP, but I counted my morning walk to the train as exercise, which was only 15 min long at an avg. speed of 3.2 mi/hr. My rationale for counting it is that 3.2 mi/hr is the same rate of my longer walks (1 to 2 hours) that I try to take once or twice a week. For me, I'm thinking why not count the morning walk as "exercise," because I am walking as fast as I do during longer walks, even though it's something I usually due Monday through Friday.

Hopefully this makes sense. Thoughts??
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    you don't.... Or at least I won't because it isn't something I HAVE to do, it's something I CHOOSE to do and at any time, I could decide NOT to do it again...

When you exercise it burns more than what is required for your body to survive. When choosing your activity level for your weight loss goal, be sure to consider it for what your lifestyle is BEFORE your routine of exercising... your routine can vary day to day, or at least it should....
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week. I only count exercise as an activity that raises my heart rate above 140. Im a stay at home mom so most of my days consist of chasing a toddler and cleaning the house. I dont put those down as exercise. Some days I have to stack and haul wood, I dont count that as exercise.

I think using your heart rate to gage whether an activity constitutes "exercising" is a great idea, but what about time when taking your heart rate isn't convinient or you do not have a heart rate monitor?

For example, I'm new to MFP, but I counted my morning walk to the train as exercise, which was only 15 min long at an avg. speed of 3.2 mi/hr. My rationale for counting it is that 3.2 mi/hr is the same rate of my longer walks (1 to 2 hours) that I try to take once or twice a week. For me, I'm thinking why not count the morning walk as "exercise," because I am walking as fast as I do during longer walks, even though it's something I usually due Monday through Friday.

Hopefully this makes sense. Thoughts??

^^ this! I have a person on my FL that counts her hikes to work, another who counts all the yard work and cleaning she does...
    For the house mom if you don't count it as exercise I hope that you at least considered it as part of you daily lifestyle in terms of not noting that you are sedentary at work... give yourself due credit and calories...