Food Suggestions for on the road

Options
ok, I would li8ke to know if anyone has any suggestions for food that can easily be taken on the road and does not require anything more that hot water or a microwave to make and prepare. I am on the road for about 25 hours a week and the remaining time I am in a laboratory so I cannot bring food in with me. this make eating healthy hard but I really want to do something. I am trying to completely cut out fast food so any suggestions would be great.

Replies

• miss_alias
    Options
    Oatmeal is good.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Cans of soup (pop top kind) and a tupperware bowl are portable, just bring the actual can so it doesn't need "refrigeration after opening". Some flavors have as little as 80 calories per serving (I eat the whole can so it's double!)

I manage a Dunkin Donuts so I have a lot of temptations all day. I keep a bunch of portable non-perishables at my desk to help.
    Fruits that need no refrigeration (cups of orange slices (40 cals), cups of apple sauce (50 cals)
    Granola bars, nutri-grain bars, and stuff like that, all 100 calories or less..
    cans of v8 (70 cals, for the big can, 40 for the small)
    and packets of oatmeal (low sugar apple, 110 cals) I have access to hot water to make those.
  • Shamar233
    Shamar233 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You could make sandwhiches with chicken or peanutbutter, fruits and veggies, hard boiled eggs
    If you have hot water you could have oatmeal with fruit, raisins, nuts
    Salads with chicken or fish or just veggies you would only need a fork :) You can put dressing in a baggie and clip the tip to pour
    Leftovers from dinners the night before are great! I always try to make extra so we can have lunches for the next day or days after
    I also make a big pot of soup or a casserole on Sunday for weekday lunches its nice to always have something to fall back on if needed! My husband will go out to eat if he is unable to find anything in the frige!
    I hope that helps a bit :)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I am on the road 2-3 days a week. I have a small cooler with tight fitting lid. I freeze water bottles and use them to keep the food cool, then I have a cold bottle of water at the end of the day too!

I always have:
    carrots
    cheese (1 oz cut up cheddar)
    triscuits
    mozzerella cheese sticks (they come already wrapped!)
    apples, plums, peaches what ever is in season, except oranges because they get messy

I found a hummus snack with pretzels, my new favorite quickie!

A sandwhich of some sort. I put the lettuce or tomato in a baggie and enjoy my fresh lunch!

Also, when I am going to go into the office, I put a frozen dinner in the bottom. By the time I get back to the office at 2 or so I can heat up my Lasagna for lunch in 1.5 minutes!

I also keep a jar of almonds in my car. I have worked my way down to plain almonds, from roasted and highly salted. I get the Emerald brand which fit quite nicely on my door cupholder. The lid fits approx the 1/4 cup serving (or I count out 24 almonds)

You can also use mini baggies to pre-measure your food.

Think-protien, carbs, fiber.......
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky, fruits and raw veggies, tuna fish, peanut butter, soups, crackers, hummus.

If you meal plan this can be really easy. You can have leftovers from super. You will just need to get a cool to keep things in. Or take one of you days off and cook a few different meals that freeze good. My favorites are chili, chicken alfredo. If I have left over chicken I weigh it and put it in 3-4 lbs serving and freeze. Leftover pasta put it in single serving bags and freeze it. Keep a bag of frozen Broccoli on hand and a jar of alfredo sauce. Then when you need a meal all you have to do is get the chicken and pasta of put it in a microwave safe bowl, weigh and measure out you broccoli and sauce and put it in your bowl. It is frozen it will be fine until lunch. Just need to come up with idea like that. It might take a little bit of work but it is totally do able.
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs! A large egg has 70 cal, just the white is only 13
  • evildragongeek
    Options
    Thanks all for the great ideas I will look into them and try them.