Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Vitamins....for women

amv88
amv88 Posts: 9
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
Can anyone suggest what pills women should take on an everyday basis? Like vitamin B? or a One-A-Day?

Replies

• kellykat
    kellykat Posts: 180 Member
    Personally, I like the one a day brand.
  • vitamins B is a daily basic.

do you take any multi vitamin?
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    A multi vitamin is good. Even though I am a premenopausal woman, I take GNC's Active Woman's Supplement without iron. When I took a supplement with 100% DV of Iron, it backed me up a little. lol. I am thinking about taking a seperate supplement for iron and only take 50% of my DV in the future though.
  • deb201
    deb201 Posts: 7 Member
    I take One a Day Cholesterol support. I also take extra calcium as the one a day only has 400 mg, and extra D as again, the One a Day only has 400 mg. I also take extra C, E, B12 and Folic Acid - all because the One a Day doesn't have the full requirement. I take these at two separate times in the day = the One a Day, B12 and Folic acid in the morning, and the Caltrate (Calcium & D), C and E at least 4 hours later. Because I have hypothyroidism, I have to take extra calcium and D. But calcium, at least 1200 mg, is a must for women!
  • BassBoneBabe
    BassBoneBabe Posts: 226 Member
    Might sound odd, but I take Flinstones Chewables. It has everything, and some more, than what the women's one a day has, it is chewable (so I can feel like I get a little piece of candy every day) and, more importantly, I can have one set of vitamins for the whole house hold. I tried doing the other vitamins, and they all made me sick.

Just thought I would throw that out there :-)
  • DixonKels
    DixonKels Posts: 20 Member
    I am taking the GNC Women's Ultra Mega Active Vita Pak along with Chromium Picolinate. I love the vita pak because it has a great energy booster that doesn't give you a crash mid day!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    my doctor recommended that i take a prenatal vitamin (even though i am post-menopausal). it has a good balance of minerals and vitamins.
  • Lusadi
    Lusadi Posts: 79
    I take the Vitamin Code for Women by Garden of Life company http://www.gardenoflife.com. I also add on extra Vitamin D, Calcium, Probiotic, and Vitamin C (during flu season).

I
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    I take a One-A-Day "weight conscious" Equate brand, just has a little added caffeine and all the same vitamin balance as usual.
  • themethod
    themethod Posts: 257
    my doctor recommended that i take a prenatal vitamin (even though i am post-menopausal). it has a good balance of minerals and vitamins.

I also take a pre-natal, even though I am not pregnant/trying to get pregnant, as well as a calcium supplement.
  • i take the daily pack from nutrilite one of the best i have ever taken. <3
    and its just once a day.
  • I also take a prenatal vitamin for my multivitamin

And I take calcium citrate with vitamin D - my doctor said all women should probably take calcium because caffeine, our hormone, birth control pills and/or lack of weight bearing activity can cause our bones to be fragile. Other forms of calcium (such as carbonate - like in TUMS) are not as well absorbed and used in the body as citrate. Also, your body can only absorb a certain amount of calcium at a time, so I take a dose in the morning and evening.

I also add a fish, flax, and borage oil supplement because I do not eat many foods that offer omega fatty acids (such as fish, dressings) that help to regulate consistency of blood and maintain cholesterol :)

some women take an iron supplement as well to prevent anemia related to our monthly cycle
  • ljm0104
    ljm0104 Posts: 42
    My doctor suggested I take the same thing as cherokee babe and I like it so far. It's the generic,equate, brand of one a day women's active metabolism. I have trouble sometimes with my iron being low so I like this one and it gives me a little kick in the morning.
  • Aartichokie
    Aartichokie Posts: 60 Member
    You should take:
    Multi vitamin (I prefer a whole food vitamin like Mega Food, Vitamin Code or New Chapter)
    Fish oil
    Probiotic

Those are the basics.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    My doc has me on a multivitamin as well as Citracal with extra Vit D. I was Vit D deficient despite the fact that I drink milk. She told me we need between 1000-2000 iu per day of D but you also have to take extra calcium with it.
This discussion has been closed.