Vitamins....for women

Options
Can anyone suggest what pills women should take on an everyday basis? Like vitamin B? or a One-A-Day?

Replies

• kellykat
    kellykat Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like the one a day brand.
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    vitamins B is a daily basic.

do you take any multi vitamin?
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    A multi vitamin is good. Even though I am a premenopausal woman, I take GNC's Active Woman's Supplement without iron. When I took a supplement with 100% DV of Iron, it backed me up a little. lol. I am thinking about taking a seperate supplement for iron and only take 50% of my DV in the future though.
  • deb201
    deb201 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I take One a Day Cholesterol support. I also take extra calcium as the one a day only has 400 mg, and extra D as again, the One a Day only has 400 mg. I also take extra C, E, B12 and Folic Acid - all because the One a Day doesn't have the full requirement. I take these at two separate times in the day = the One a Day, B12 and Folic acid in the morning, and the Caltrate (Calcium & D), C and E at least 4 hours later. Because I have hypothyroidism, I have to take extra calcium and D. But calcium, at least 1200 mg, is a must for women!
  • BassBoneBabe
    BassBoneBabe Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Might sound odd, but I take Flinstones Chewables. It has everything, and some more, than what the women's one a day has, it is chewable (so I can feel like I get a little piece of candy every day) and, more importantly, I can have one set of vitamins for the whole house hold. I tried doing the other vitamins, and they all made me sick.

Just thought I would throw that out there :-)
  • DixonKels
    DixonKels Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am taking the GNC Women's Ultra Mega Active Vita Pak along with Chromium Picolinate. I love the vita pak because it has a great energy booster that doesn't give you a crash mid day!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    my doctor recommended that i take a prenatal vitamin (even though i am post-menopausal). it has a good balance of minerals and vitamins.
  • Lusadi
    Lusadi Posts: 79
    Options
    I take the Vitamin Code for Women by Garden of Life company http://www.gardenoflife.com. I also add on extra Vitamin D, Calcium, Probiotic, and Vitamin C (during flu season).

I
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I take a One-A-Day "weight conscious" Equate brand, just has a little added caffeine and all the same vitamin balance as usual.
  • themethod
    themethod Posts: 257
    Options
    my doctor recommended that i take a prenatal vitamin (even though i am post-menopausal). it has a good balance of minerals and vitamins.

I also take a pre-natal, even though I am not pregnant/trying to get pregnant, as well as a calcium supplement.
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    i take the daily pack from nutrilite one of the best i have ever taken. <3
    and its just once a day.
  • mariposadedios
    Options
    I also take a prenatal vitamin for my multivitamin

And I take calcium citrate with vitamin D - my doctor said all women should probably take calcium because caffeine, our hormone, birth control pills and/or lack of weight bearing activity can cause our bones to be fragile. Other forms of calcium (such as carbonate - like in TUMS) are not as well absorbed and used in the body as citrate. Also, your body can only absorb a certain amount of calcium at a time, so I take a dose in the morning and evening.

I also add a fish, flax, and borage oil supplement because I do not eat many foods that offer omega fatty acids (such as fish, dressings) that help to regulate consistency of blood and maintain cholesterol :)

some women take an iron supplement as well to prevent anemia related to our monthly cycle
  • ljm0104
    ljm0104 Posts: 42
    Options
    My doctor suggested I take the same thing as cherokee babe and I like it so far. It's the generic,equate, brand of one a day women's active metabolism. I have trouble sometimes with my iron being low so I like this one and it gives me a little kick in the morning.
  • cagirl1968
    Options
    You should take:
    Multi vitamin (I prefer a whole food vitamin like Mega Food, Vitamin Code or New Chapter)
    Fish oil
    Probiotic

Those are the basics.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    My doc has me on a multivitamin as well as Citracal with extra Vit D. I was Vit D deficient despite the fact that I drink milk. She told me we need between 1000-2000 iu per day of D but you also have to take extra calcium with it.