New to MFP- low calorie diet

Options
I am new to MFP and am working on losing another 20 pounds. I am on a low calorie diet with protein. i am looking for other women like myself so we can help each other reach our goals, please add me if you would like support. I am a mother and wife and find new challenges every day.

My plan is to eliminate all bread, rice, oil and sugar for 30 days...its hard but it works :)

i would love to hear from you about your goals, maybe we can share recipes :)

Replies

• Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Good luck and welcome! You might want to reconsider eliminating all oils! I did that once and ended up painfully (as in had to go to the doctor) constipated. Your body needs some oil in order to "perform."
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    So what happens after 30 days?
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options

Party for 8 days to enjoy the remaining time before the Mayans determined the world to end. -nods-
  • LoraF83
    Options

Party for 8 days to enjoy the remaining time before the Mayans determined the world to end. -nods-

I approve of that plan :drinker:
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    My daughter's birthday is December 21st, so that day is really inconvenient for the end of the world.
  • LoraF83
    Options
    My daughter's birthday is December 21st, so that day is really inconvenient for the end of the world.

That is inconvienent! Maybe a party on the 20th? Or wait until the 22nd and then she can have a big "it's my birhtday and we didn't fall off the face of the earth" party?

Seriously though, OP - no need for so many restrictions. You can achieve results without cutting out major food groups. Each macro has a purpose. Fats (like oil) promote healthy organ function. Carbs provide an easy source of energy. Protein helps create lean muscle. They all work in our bodies....and no group exclusively makes us fat (even sugar). Too many calories are what makes us fat....so as long as you keep a calorie deficit, you can lose weight.
  • time4jenn
    time4jenn Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am hoping after 30 days my brain will have a new healthy way of thinking and I will be able to make better choices. I went extreme to eliminate everything and then slowly introduce healthy options.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Consider adding one tablespoon of olive oil per day
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I've found that for me, being overly restrictive with food makes my brain not want to make healthy food choices. A diet that includes everything I like (in moderation), along with educating myself about nutrition, has gradually led to me having a much healthier diet than I did previously. Each to their own though, so I wish you luck, but be careful with the fat, as your body really does need healthy fats.
  • clytemnestra
    clytemnestra Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm never an advocate of straight up eliminating things. While habits change after 30 days, those good eating habits you develop they are combatting YEARS of poorer ones. And by cutting out carbs, sugars, etc. you'll just end up craving those things and ending in a binge. Balance is the key word. You need carbs, you need fats, you need protein. Just watch your ratios (40% carbs, 30% fat, and 30% protein). Its more sustainable that short spurts, which often lead to gain backs.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I am hoping after 30 days my brain will have a new healthy way of thinking and I will be able to make better choices. I went extreme to eliminate everything and then slowly introduce healthy options.

After being on a low calorie diet plus cutting out certain foods totally for a month and you are more likely to end up bingeing or giving up totally than starting a new healthy eating plan but I do wish you good luck. You're more likely to succeed eating higher calories (10-20% below your TDEE) eat all the food groups plus include some exercise.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options

I don't know, seems to me none of those foods are inhearently "unhealthy." Whole grain bread, brown or wild rice, olive oil.? Maybe sugar if you mean added sugar and not the natural sugar found in fresh fruit and vegetables. You have already lost weight so why take some extreme measure at this point? Just to see if you can be disciplined? I kind of get the reframing how your mind views food, but it seems you could do this by substituting healtier options of those foods rather than eliminating them entirely. It's ultimately up to you , though. Truly trying to be of help.
  • time4jenn
    time4jenn Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your comments, let me add a few things. I DO on occasion treat myself but with a very limited amount, I did this in September and I was able to lose 15 pounds and then I introduced wheat and fruit (high sugar ones) back into my everyday life and started exercising and lost an additional 2 pounds. I feel better than i have in years. I am happy I didn’t gain any back even though i did have a binge day or two. I am looking to lose another 20 pounds and I am looking for other people like me that are enjoying a low carb diet. I will continue to exercise and watch what i eat :smile: thanks again
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    You should find some like-minded low-carbers if you search the groups: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/search :smile:
  • lyndalpn
    lyndalpn Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have made some simialr restrictions - I don't eat rice, pasta, potatoes or refined sugars at all and very little bread (occasional low GI or sourdough) on the advice of my endocrinologist so would be happy to support you in this BUT cutting out oils altogether is a very bad idea. You need healthy fats for a lot of your body's metabolic processes just like you need natural sugars, low GI carbs and protein. I avoid fried food, but use olive oil in things and of course eat healthy oils- avocado, nuts, oily fish etc. I have no issue with you choosing to eliminate things, I am just worried you may not have chosen the right things. My diary is open - have a look and add me if you think I can help.