Eating for your body type - Apples

Options
Hey everyone! I'm a total apple shape, tiny legs and arms with all my weight held in my middle. As many of this type will know you can crunch and lift and jog all day but without the right diet nothing really changes.

I've been to see naturopaths and dietitians and have done a lot of research into dieting for apple shapes and everyone says the same thing "cut out carbs". I did this for a while and lost 10 lbs however as soon as I started eating them again the lbs just came right back! (and I can't live without pizza!)

I would love to hear from other apple types on what you're eating for success and what has worked for you thus far!

Thanks guys!

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit works.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit works.
    yep..

which is surprisingly the same things that works for pears, hourglass and rulers :happy:
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit works.

this
  • karabff
    Options
    Eat healty carbs-veggies etc..I personally will never give up bread an like you pizza it would then be a diet an not a lifestyle..I do however eat thin crust an order veggie pizza an no longer eat the whole pie-:) portion control...I also found bread that is multi-grain an thin with only 80 cals an I no longer eat bread with every meal (well not all the time some days I do) I also use red potatos instead of white...I just started making small changes every week an have managed to lose 34 pds in 2 months (I am a big girl, started at 233) because i have fibromyalgia my work outs go from lots an lots of treadmill an weights to nothing due to the pain..but I just keep moving forward an know I will find that balance as you will-fruits an veggies have to re-place the bad food choices- but I belive all things in moderation-you still gotta live-good luck you can do this
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    The idea of removing a whole food groups (or lowering it substantially) is pretty childish. You'd have to do it for the rest of your life for it to have any permanent effect, does removing carbs forever sound realistic?

More move, eat less and make better food choices.

ps Unless they have a doctorate in medicine they're porperly trying to sell you something ;D
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit works.
    yep..

which is surprisingly the same things that works for pears, hourglass and rulers :happy:

:drinker:

28050585.jpg
  • deedster_a
    deedster_a Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz did a show on eating for body types. He says apples should eat a low glycemic, low carb diet with foods like lentils, hummus, red peppers, eggplant, and 1/2 cup kale a day to lose belly fat.
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Low carb here. But I also have insulin resistance and pcos. I tend to carry alot of weight in my midsection. It has really helped!
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Won't I cut my mouth on the glass? I am an hourglass type...
  • Jennyfaye13
    Options
    I personally, could never make a diet last that cut anything out completely. I need balance. fortunately with MFP I have found that. I eat what I want and stay within (usually under) my alloted calories. As a result I will still grab chocolate but it's a much smaller piece and followed by and apple later... or something along those lines. I run 4x per week and NEVER eat my workout calories. I am down 34 pounds since June :happy:
  • julialdr
    julialdr Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz did a show on eating for body types. He says apples should eat a low glycemic, low carb diet with foods like lentils, hummus, red peppers, eggplant, and 1/2 cup kale a day to lose belly fat.

Yeah, I read the article on his site! Have been thinking of giving his smoothie cleanse a try!

I suppose you could say I've always been calorie deficit which is why it's so tough for me to lose weight. I've never really eaten over 1100 calories a day so trying to reset my metabolism with high fiber, low carb, low sugar foods. It's tough! I've also been working out 3-5 days per week.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Somatotypes have absolutely no bearing on what "type" of diet you should eat. Additionally, taking dietary advice from Dr. Oz is very, very risky and I'd suggest against it.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I'm more of an orange type. if we're talking fruits, anyway. in general, I'd say I'm an ice cream type, though I'd be willing to entertain pizza or chocolate as secondary options.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I'm more of an orange type. if we're talking fruits, anyway. in general, I'd say I'm an ice cream type, though I'd be willing to entertain pizza or chocolate as secondary options.

Oh I like this, I am kind of an ice cream cone with a cherry on top.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    ONE! ONE DR QUACK! AH HA AH AH AHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Would everybody please stop being mental?
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I'm apple and maintain by going to gym everyday. The weight is starting to fall off but don't forget your water!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Would everybody please stop being mental?

I would probably go mental if I cut my carbs too low, not to mention feeling hungry! :laugh:
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    So much win on this thread :happy:
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    You probably got your shape from a parent. I did. Nothing can change that. Only way I have been able to reduce it at all is by losing weight all over. You can do some exercises aimed at your core. This will not make it disappear but your middle will look firmer.