HELP! Need Recommendations for a Gym Bag!!!

Options
I'm planning on going to my gym on the way to work. I'll wear work-out clothes there, but I'll be packing my swim suit and towel, and all of my work clothes (suits or slacks and blouse plus shoes). I need a bag that will neatly store my work clothes and have a "wet" bag area for my swim suit and towel - plus room for make-up, hair stuff, shampoo etc...

I'm not a very girly girl but it looks like my new position will require me to dress more 'executive'. I'll put my hair up most days so I won't need to dry/style it, but I will need to put on make up (grrr) and I'll probably need be dressed in suits, or skirts with hose etc...

I'm looking on-line for a good gym bag but it's tough to tell what bags have enough room for the shoes and full set of clothes!

Also - any recommendations on dealing with the wet swim suit and towel? My gym has a suit spinner to help get some of the water out... Should I hang it up in my car while I'm in at work? This summer will I need to take my gym bag into work with me to keep the wet stuff from cooking in the heat?

Last time I went to the gym I had a ton of time (college days) AND I didn't really need to be dressed better than running pants and a clean t-shirt when I left! YIKES!

Replies

• krisolso
    krisolso Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have a bag from Under Armour that's awesome. It has a separate compartment for your shoes, a front pocket, and a side pocket with air vents for a swimsuit. The main compartment is really roomy. I actually use a lot for my carry area. They sell it at ****s Sporting Goods.
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I miss the days of working in the hospital only for the ease of dressing - scrubs at work; sweats at home. Those were the days... Now I have to wear "real" clothes to work, "business casual".

I just use a large tote, and "no-iron" clothes are my best friends :smile:

For my swimsuit I bring a plastic grocery bag to store it and the wet towels in the car. I hang up my swimsuit, cap and goggles in the bathroom at night and throw the towels in the wash.
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I NEVER put my suit in my gym bag - because then your suit will smell like gym bag. I always hung it up (and in plastic if possible, but definitely carry Febreze to keep it smelling like a locker room). If you wear your gym shoes in, there should be room for heels in your bag, and you wear your heels out. I always do my makeup in the car (it's part of not being late - get there 10-15 minutes early and do makeup for 5-10 minutes). My gym bag was just a clearance piece of luggage-ish-stuff from Kohl's, so I don't have a good recommendation for brands. The hardest part for me was always the hairdryer - but it sounds like you have that covered! Don't know if this helps, but good luck with the new job!!
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I really like my Reebok gym bag I got from Target. It has a separate shoe compartment so you can keep your stinky shoes away from your clothes. It's pretty roomy too.

Though I would keep a suit outside of the gym bag to also prevent wrinkling and everything. You can keep the suit in a locker while you workout.
  • kas1021
    kas1021 Posts: 92
    Options
    i was a swimmer and i had one of these as my swim meet bag. i have had it for about 18 years and it still looks new and its been through hell. it has a section inside for wet things and it keeps it separate from dry clothes. plus tons of side pockets for other things. theres a little pocket I like to use specifically for make up because its small and snug and the makeup doesnt get jumbled around. I highly reccommend this bag. also, it fits a ton of stuff! i would pack 6 bach towels 2-3 swim suits. 2 changes of clothes, cap, goggles, toiletries & shampoo and still have room to spare. its a great travel bag. its always my carry on. :)
    hope this helps!

http://www.amazon.com/Speedo-Performance-Pro-Backpack-Red/dp/B001GFHRMM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1268586702&sr=8-1
  • ♥dawnwestbury♥
    Options
    my "gym" bag is actually a diaper bag haha...it works well!
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I made my first run-through at the gym today in prep for tomorrow AM and boy do I have a learning curve to conquer!