Bikram Yoga - Weight loss?

Options
I am going to my first Bikram Yoga class today and wondering if anyone has any success with it in the weight loss category. I have done some research and I feel like there are a lot of health benefits overall, which excites me, but not a ton of info on actual weight loss. I am looking for people who have actually practiced Bikram Yoga - do you have any success stories?

Thanks!

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    If you practice Bikram yoga while in a calorie deficit you will lose weight.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I have been doing yoga a long time but only just started bikram style a couple of months ago. I love it! Seriously, I'd do it every single day if I could. I don't know about major weight loss because I never had that much to lose but it is definitely helping me lose weight along with all the other things I do.
  • cindydchilds
    Options
    Hi, everyone! How are you adding/calculating Bikram? I noticed that they don't have to listed as an exercise you can select, although, I do think it should be!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Watch with Bikram - because it is performed in a room where the heat is raised - that the weight you lose is not mainly water. Make sure you are properly hydrated.
  • mollylaremeter
    mollylaremeter Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone! How are you adding/calculating Bikram? I noticed that they don't have to listed as an exercise you can select, although, I do think it should be!

http://www.everydayhealth.com/Calories-Burned-Yoga.htm
  • mollylaremeter
    mollylaremeter Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am going to my first Bikram Yoga class today and wondering if anyone has any success with it in the weight loss category. I have done some research and I feel like there are a lot of health benefits overall, which excites me, but not a ton of info on actual weight loss. I am looking for people who have actually practiced Bikram Yoga - do you have any success stories?

Thanks!
    it has made me stronger, but no weight loss. been doing it regularly, like at least 3 says a week, for 5 months.
  • mommycullen
    mommycullen Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Ive been doing Bikram off and on for over 10 years. I have toned up doing it- but never done for a long enough stretch to comment on the weight loss. I am considering going back- but it is so expensive.

I have hear many Bikram instructors say you burn upwards of 900 calories in the class. Not sure how much merit there is to that.

I am curious to see how you do....