Nike Fuel Band, Jawbone Up, Fitbit One

Options
So.. I'm considering all of these. Just looking for input on what people like about each one. I'm leaning towards a band option since it seems more conveinient than something you have to attach to your clothing or a cuff.

I do like some of the features of the Up band. The "Insight Engine" (Discover hidden connections and patterns in your day-to-day activities) and the "Power Nap" feature (UP will wake you up at the optimal time -- around 26.5 minutes -- after you fall asleep). The only drawback... no display. You have to use your smart phone to view data.

Replies

• id10tboy
    Options
    I'm not feeling the love..... ;)
  • jonafrun
    Options
    I've tried the Fitbit One for about 1.5 weeks, and just bought and started using the new Jawbone Up today.

Due to Fitbit's problems with counting steps when I'm driving or on public transit, and the bugs in their website, I'm starting out not happy with them. Its a HUGE pain to have to remember exactly when I'm in a car or train and subtract out those steps later (not just a few steps, but hundreds).

I love the Jawbone's form factor, and after going through the day today, it has none of the issues of counting steps in vehicles.

The Fitbit will be returned, and I'm going to keep the Jawbone UP.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at the Original STRIIV and the new STRIIV PLAY. Also Bodybug/ body media fit.
  • rgbink
    rgbink Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump
  • id10tboy
    Options
    Have you looked at the Original STRIIV and the new STRIIV PLAY. Also Bodybug/ body media fit.

That looks cool. However, I like the Up band because it also tracks sleeping patterns. :)
  • id10tboy
    Options
    I've tried the Fitbit One for about 1.5 weeks, and just bought and started using the new Jawbone Up today.

Due to Fitbit's problems with counting steps when I'm driving or on public transit, and the bugs in their website, I'm starting out not happy with them. Its a HUGE pain to have to remember exactly when I'm in a car or train and subtract out those steps later (not just a few steps, but hundreds).

I love the Jawbone's form factor, and after going through the day today, it has none of the issues of counting steps in vehicles.

The Fitbit will be returned, and I'm going to keep the Jawbone UP.

Curious to see how it works for you!! Keep us imformed!! :)
  • jonafrun
    Options
    Long story short, the Jawbone Up is WAY better than the Fitbit One.

Most notably for me, there isn't the annoying problem of hundreds of steps every time I drive or ride public transit. I can actually just wear the Up and go about my day (vs. with the One, I have to be remember to start/stop a timed activity when I get in/out of a car, then at the end of the day have to go onto the website to manually correct the extra steps).

The Up's data and graphs on the iPhone app aren't any better or worse than the Fitbit website, but at least I don't have to remember to carry around my USB BT dongle nor the strap to use when monitoring sleep.

More details later; and/or let me know if you have specific questions.
  • threechins
    threechins Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I didn't know that the Up had been re-released but have (and use) both a Fitbit One – I'd previously had an Ultra – and a Fuelband. Reading the previous posts I think it's ultimately a personal decision, I've never had the problems others here seem to have with the Fitbit recording extra steps, and both it and the Fuelband sync through my phone, so no need for anything extra.

I use them both in different ways. The Fitbit came first and is great for syncing with MFP, I'd been in a six month plateau until I got the Ultra, as soon as it gave me a far more accurate figure for my calories burned I started dropping the weight easily again (I had been under eating). The Fuelband, however, is much better as a motivational tool which I felt I needed on those days I don't have a scheduled workout. Maybe I'm especially susceptible to nudge, but I lost count of the number of nights I'd find myself jogging on the spot to tip myself over a totally arbitrary goal for the proprietary Nike Fuel measure.

Looking at the reviews of the Up it still seems a bit fiddly and personally I'm not sure the addition of an optimal alarm would have changed my purchasing decisions; indeed, there are many who would say actigraphy, especially via the wrist, isn't accurate enough.

On a related subject you might like to look at the LarkLife, a similar wristband based monitor to the Up or Fuelband. Their background is in actigraphy for monitoring sleep (though they have chosen not to offer an optimal alarm as well).

[I noticed this is a resurrection of a relatively old post, but will post anyway since it might be useful to others looking at the same things.]
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit. I have seriously considered the Jawbone Up because I wanted something that could sync directly to my iPhone4, but after looking at one in an Apple store I decided it was too conspicuous. I like that no one needs to know I am wearing my Fitbit. I've also got tattoos on both of my arms and I don't want a bracelet covering them.
  • TdaniT
    TdaniT Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    So who has the Jawbone Up and does it really work as it says that it does? I think it is a neat idea and wouldn't mind trying it out.
  • healthypika
    Options
    I have had my Jawbone up for almost a week, and I love it so far. The sleep function is amazing! I love waking up to a gentle vibration instead of a jarring alarm. MFP integration would be great since the biggest con of the UP right now is weak food tracking. It also doesn't track me on my rowing machine, which none of these types of bands can register very well based on my research. You do have the option of adding a workout with an approximate number of calories though. Supposedly you can shower with it, but I am choosing to not push my luck with that feature. Also, they do not yet have an Android app, but they say there will be one soon. I also think that it is very comfortable to wear.
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump.

I currently have the FitBit One but I like the idea of something I can leave on when showering and not so easily lost.
  • spags02
    Options
    These opinions were great. I'm looking into the FitBit or FuelBand so they helped me get a better idea.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    There is a new wristband device called the the Basis. Have a look at that.
  • deeveebee
    deeveebee Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just sent my FitBit One back today. I had it for three weeks and I was really excited about the tracking on the website and the integration w/MFP, and then it just died. I had the UP last year and the same thing happened. JAWBONE technical support was great. FitBit's, not so much. I'm fine with a dead product as long as the support system is there. I won't support a product with crappy support structure. I'm currently trying out the Larklife band. I thought about the Nike Fuelband. I've used the SportWatch for running and loved the challenges aspect of the Nike+ website. Nike has been redesigning that feature for a year. The challenges were very motivating for me. The FitBit site was motivating in that I was ranked based on the parameters measured.

I like Larklife so far because it is a "nagger". It sends rewards when I achieve a goal and nags when I've been sitting too long. It would be nice to have a website in addition to the app and some external competition.
  • AckieJ
    AckieJ Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • rajsanders58
    Options
    Jawbone review. I bought a jawbone for my daughter, my girlfriend and myself. We have been wearing them for a couple of weeks now. I have done many tests with the up to see if its accurate or not. I've done many tests in the car to try and eliminate steps. I synced when I got in the car and again when I stopped. It always adds steps when it's on my wrist. If I take it off and rest in somewhere or in my pocket, it minimizes the steps in some cases to none. I sync before bed and put it in sleep mode. I awake everyday to 80-200 steps. Xmas day it snowed and I layed in bed most of the day watching movies and playing games. I hit my goal of 10000 steps. So already I have to look at my total and shave a thousand or so steps off my total. I don't really know of a pedometer that is 100% accurate all the time but for $130 I expect it to be closer than this. I even walked on my local trail and counted my steps and the up was much more accurate in my pocket than on my wrist. Even then it was off some. I guess im saying that if you can accept that the up will not count every step you take and it will count steps you dont take then you can live with it. The sleep function at first seemed accurate for me but my girlfriend's was way off. It never records her waking up in the night which is not the case. All in all it is a cool device but for the price and the inaccuracy we are returning them. I like the stopwatch function too but it's nowhere near as accurate as the free iPhone nike+ running GPS app. I think the up is basically a novelty for people who need a little push to get them off the couch. The problem is that it Loses its novelty rather quickly. It is definitely not a device for a serious trainer or runner. Login food is a major pain in the *kitten* and practically impossible. Just wait till you go eat sushi or I had Indian food once. I simply can't be logged. We were even measuring out indigents for stuff to try and get it accurate as possible. It's fun but its also free. I would recommend the jawbone up for a young hip person who want a cool accessory for their wrist and iPhone. Or anyone who is not very active and needs a push. It pushed me out of the house a few times. But if you really have problems getting up and about, ultimately you will learn to ignore it just like anything else. Honestly, for $130 it's simply not worth it.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Have you also looked at the Bodymedia Fit.
  • Scrappymom67
    Scrappymom67 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Can anyone who owns the Fuelband comment on it's accuracy?
    How about the Basis watch - seems like it would be easy to wear at work and has 10 goals to choose from when you start and then it adjusts these goals based on your performance - but is it accurate? For $200 and no wireless sync (as of yet) it better be.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    I think the fuelband is considered to be not very accurate. Basis is very new so not sure if anyone will have it yet. It seems to be like the BMF but worn on the wrist. The BMF is supposed to be very accurate.