I often wonder if I work out enough....
monday- 35 minutes of tae bo
tues- Jillian Michaels ripped in 30
wed 35 minutes of cardio
thur Jillian again
friday I rest
Sat I do 45-60 minutes of cardio
sun I do 45-60 minutes of calisthenics

I know 6 days is plenty, but am I doing it for long enough?
Is 30 minutes or so enough?
I know that lifting weights is the best thing, but I can't get to the gym. I will be buying some heavier dumb bells soon so I can use them with my Jillian workouts and calisthenics.
I'm finally figuring out my calories and nutrients and stuff, so now I want to make sure Im active enough.

How much do all of you work out?

Replies

• hjensen2263
    hjensen2263 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I will generally work out for an hour and a half a day, on the days I have time. Then I will do lengthy stretch. However, if you are new to working out, 30 minutes is great to start! Then work your way up. I know I work out more than most people, but I'm an exercise science major, so it's kind of my job:smile: Work your way up to an hour a day for 6 days a week, and you'll be doing great! Good luck!
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    An hour a day is plenty. Quality not quantity, in my opinion.
  • merctech
    merctech Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm usually in the gym about 45-60 minutes 3 days a week. I don't do cardio, (never have liked running) but have a job that keeps me fairly active and off my butt all day. I would say you are doing plenty of cardio, if anything I would add another rest day, maybe Wednesday. I don't know if this helps but if what you are doing is working keep doing it. By far the most important thing for weight loss is your diet though.
  • Terree_G
    Terree_G Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My trainer has told me that quantity is not as important as quality. He said a serious 20-minute workout at high intensity will do more for you than longer sessions.

That said, I only half take his advice. I make sure that I get low, medium, and high-intensity into each session, but I still go 5-6 times a week and I still stick to my goal of a minimum of 90 minutes per day. That's just me. :-)
  • kjwillie
    kjwillie Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You could try changing it up a bit. For instance, maybe you could do one hour of exercise two days a week and slowly build up. You may need to throw in an extra rest day, but there are advantages to working out for a longer period of time. It's great that you're sticking with it with stuff like Jillian Michaels and lots of cardio. Best of luck on your health journey!!
  • Amanda0926
    Amanda0926 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the tips!
    I'm not new to working out, I just don't have a ton of time on my hands. I'm a single mom of two, so I stay pretty busy :)
    I will throw in another 30 minutes whenever I have time. I just really don't feel like I'm doing enough.

I do like the quality vs. quantity idea though. I need to look into higher intensity workouts that last 30 - 45 minutes. Maybe that would be a good place to start.

Any ideas on those?
    I was thinking about insanity.
    I have done P90X. They are good workouts, but I feel like I can do more.
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I honestly think you are doing fine. I think 30 minutes 6 days a week is better than doing more but not doing it consistently. That being said I am no expert but I have been a working mom of small children and I know all about not having time. I wish I had stuck to 30 minutes a day at your age instead of taking the "all-or-nothing" approach.
    Keep up the good work!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I have heard it recommended that you should get 3-4 days of cardio and 2-3 days of strength training lol. *shrug*
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I work out 5-6 days a week. Friday is my primary rest day. Only because it's one day I can have a good hair day and not have to take 2 showers a day. If I feel really sore another day during the week (other than the weekend), I'll take a day off. I do about 20-30 minutes everyday.

Also manage to lose at least a pound a week
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Any more than 4 times a week is overkill IMO, but I guess it depends how intense your training is.
  • TexasDragon45
    Options
    If you feel like you should do more then your body is probably telling you to. I know what you mean with not having time, I have three kids, a part time job on top of being in the military and some days by the time I get home from the gym I feel like its only a place I stay on nights and weekends.
    P90X is good, but if you are looking for something more challenging, try Cross Fit or Gym Jones (sp?).
    What I ended up doing was making my own workouts at home that last about an hour. It incorporated DBs,Kettlebells, Med Balls, Strength Bands, and this step called a 360Step, It cut down on my time away from home and started toning me up more than I thought, I started about a month ago and realized that a change in my workout routine is what I needed to kick start my extra weight loss.
    Let me know if you want some personal ones, I have written some up for friends and they enjoy it and usually start seeing the results within a month.
    I dont get on the boards often so message me if you want.

But 5-6 times a week is perfect. 30 min is OK, but your body is just getting started at that point, strive for 45-60 min of stacked strength/endurance cardio. Its a perfect hybrid.
  • AngelsheriHackley
    AngelsheriHackley Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    No less then 90 minutes a day if you want to lose weight but to maintain I would do 30 mins only.